comm port error fix

I suffered with an occasional comm port error whenever I restarted my computer and attempted to restart Weather Display for a many months. I couldn’t figure out what was wrong. I would have to keep restarting my computer to get Weather Display to start. Well I finally figured out what was causing the error and no longer get the occasional comm port error so I thought I would share this in case anyone else is having the same trouble. The issue effects Windows XP and Oregon Scientific 968 weather station, maybe other brand stations too. When the console is connected to the serial port on the computer, Windows XP automatically installs a driver for a serial mouse. The driver is for a Microsoft ballpoint serial mouse. The next time you restart computer and get the comm port error while trying to run Weather Display, this is what you do. Go to the device manager, (start, control panel, system, hardware and click on device manager). Under (mice and other pointing devices), you will see Microsoft ballpoint serial mouse and your PS/2 compatible mouse. Right click on Microsoft ballpoint serial mouse and select disable. Close all windows, restart your computer and occasional com port error is fixed! Hope this helps someone.

Billy
http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/billyliny/wxstation.html