How to setup a Custom WAP page

[size=100][font=Verdana]WD has the ability to generate a WAP WML page that can be accessed by most Cell Phones that have Internet ability.

You do this by going to Setup → Control Panel → FTP/Inernet/metar/email … and selecting the WAP tab at the top.

You set the Wap page Setup title areas, setup an upload time and if it is the same area as you normal website, you can leave the ftp stuff on that page alone.

You need to hit the Create the WAP directory for the first time button. and then hit TEST and you should see WD send the information to the website. For the default, the page would be your normal location for webpages for WD with /wap at the end.

The default will generate a wap page with the format of …

To make your own WAP page, you need to select the Use my own custom WAP file (waplocal.txt)

Then you need to create a template file in the webfiles directory of your WD system calles waplocal.txt

WD does not provide a default sample, or at least, I could not find one. So I created my own starting first with what was output by WD and then changing it to suit my needs. I used WML tables to make the info stand apart to read it better. The resulting page looks like :

I have not yet included any images in mine yet. And I have not yet tried multiple pages.

For those that want a quick short cut, I’ve included the source to my WAP template attached to this article.

Note there are a few problems with it using WD 10.18j the current version at the time I wrote this.

[ul][li]There does not appear to be a tag you can use that will obtain the station name info[/li]
[li]The tag for sunshine possiblity outputs an AM tag like it is a time rather than the amount of time it should be 11hrs 04mins instead of 11:04:00 AM [/li]
[li]There is no tag for year ET[/li][/ul]

Hope this is helpful for others…[/font][/size]

The above page is accessible via a Wap enabled device at the following URL:

[s]http://www.tnet.com/weather/phone.php[/s]
Updated Link
http://www.tnetweather.com/weather/wap.php

waplocal.txt (3.65 KB)

waplocal.txt (3.65 KB)