Upgrade of home cable connection

I just had the pleasure of upgrading my home internet connection from 128 up 256 down to 2 MB up and down. Wow what a difference that makes. Our service provider has dropped their charges so the pricing for the new speed is the same as the old, (about NZD$70.00 per month) and I get a 10 GB data allowance per month - which I never get anywhere near using, even hosting the website at home.

The bad news is that hackers now get to do their port scans even faster

I’m still waiting for my 4->10Mbps upgrade at a 30% reduction in price :smiley: It can’t be far off now.

One of the few ports that I care about would be SSH. Just moving it to a different port eliminates the port scans for it.

We have been at 9mb down 2mb up for about 3 months now and 6mb/1mb for more than a couple years before that.

Makes you forget what dialup was.

Just moving it to a different port eliminates the port scans for it.

Well it doesn’t always stop the scans, but it does stop them finding the ports and trying out their exploits. I not only change the ports, but make sure that those services are locked down to only certain source IPs.

I run an IPCop firewall in front of all the servers and it has been great at fending off the would-be hackers. Its always interesting to look at the firewall logs (and the SNORT IDS logs) to see what the script kiddies are up to. Every now and then I get sick of all the rubbish and send the logs off to my ISP in the vain hope that they might do something about the rubbish that is stealing all the bandwidth. Usually to no avail, but I at least feel like I’m doing something

I would love to get away from ADSL to get cable internet but I don’t think my current ISP would make it very easy for me to cancel - their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. The word “muppets” springs to mind.

But I am happy with 2Mb down and 256K up for now.

Most definitely the service you are running should be up to date.

I use moving SSH simply due to the sheer numbers of hack attempts that are simply annoying.