Configuring MML in WDL

I have been using WD & WDL for almost a year now. I would like to try the MML version that is already included in WDL. However, I cannot find any information on how to configure the WDL XML file to enable it and place a button on my main WDL display. I would like to try this BEFORE spending the $20 for the annual download feed.

Dave

Dave,

I am not sure there is a map and trial version of MML Lite…

To add the button:

<btnMml>
       <show>1</show>
       <order>12</order>
    </btnMml>

The code for MML Lite itself is simple:

<mml>
    <auto>5</auto>
    <windAnimated>1</windAnimated>
    <windSize>75</windSize>
    <tempSize>100</tempSize>
    <iconSize>100</iconSize>
    <windOffsetx>12</windOffsetx>
    <windOffsety>12</windOffsety>
    <tempOffsetx>0</tempOffsetx>
    <tempOffsety>0</tempOffsety>
    <iconOffsetx>12</iconOffsetx>
    <iconOffsety>12</iconOffsety>
    <userCanSlowRotation>1</userCanSlowRotation>
    <stationColour>#000000</stationColour>
    <stationHighlight>#CC0000</stationHighlight>
          <map>
          <url>http://URLtoyourmap.com/map.jpg</url>
          <number>1</number>
          </map>
          <userName>evaluation</userName>
   </mml>

You would need to create or get a map image, and place the link to that in the tags, to use and probably the evaluation stations would show up on it… :dontknow:

The evaluation username and map from the standalone MML package should work OK for test purposes in MML Lite.

You can grab the evaluation map here…

http://jaxweather.net/mml/map.jpg

-Bob

The evaluation map for WDL - MML lite is also available in the WDL download package - mapsmall.jpg.

Julian

With such stellar information, I sprang for the $20 and set it up.

I have the button and it works, but no map. I do have a few local stations showing up.

The documentation for WDL says the map must be 350 x 350, jpeg, and not progressive. The finished size is 31.5K. I went back and had Weather-Watch generate me a map and theirs is 500 x 500. The finished size is 35.6K. Neither map works.

When I setup my mak boundaries on Weather-Watch, I included about 6-8 stations including my own. Only 3 stations are displaying. I also added 2 “priority” stations. What are they?

Here’s my URL:

http://home.panhandle.rr.com/dcsmith

Your map is not showing because of a typo in your config file -

http:///home.panhandle.rr.com/dcsmith/panhandle.jpg

Remove one of the /s and it should be OK.

Not sure about why only 3 stations are showing but Chris should be able to assist when he sees this.

Julian

:oops: on the typo - Thanks for catching it.

The map detail (lack of it) stinks, but at least I have a map.

Not sure what you mean about missing stations. If you can give me some examples it will help. The only thing I can guess at is that station data is only provided when it’s less than 3 hours old. If a station on your map hasn’t provided data for 12 hours then it won’t show up, but when it does provide data again it will reappear.

Priority stations just mean that where you have some stations that overlap, the priority stations are always plotted after the regular stations, so their icons will be on top of the pile. You’re probably best spreading the stations out though. The idea behind priority stations was that if you’ve got an area covered by one station that when it’s on always gives high quality data and another station that’s always on, but has lower quality data, you can make sure that better quality station appears when it’s providing data.

Dave,

Since you have WDL running how about adding your Clientraw.txt to the Clientraw providers list… tis free :slight_smile:

Good deal so far :slight_smile:

-Bob

Bob,

Providing the clientraw file was the first thing I did. As you said, it’s free.

I have 10 stations all showing data less than 1 hour old. As none of the selected stations should overlap, I deleted the “priority” list hoping it might make a difference. It didn’t.

Is the MML in WDL limited to 3 stations?

Dave

No…it’s 50 just like the standalone version.

Ahhh…I see the problem. MML Lite isn’t designedp to handle CWOP/APRSWXNet stations. What’s odd is that I thought I’d changed the station screen so that it wouldn’t display CWOP/APRS stations to MML Lite users. I need to check on what’s gone wrong there. If you select WD and METAR stations you’ll be able to display more stations.

Hmmm…my memory was correct, I did add that code. For some reason the default value being stored in the database is some form of blank (null, empty, space, ??) rather than the ‘N’ that I told it to put there. I’ve corrected your record for now, so you’ll only see the set of stations that you can display, but I need to put a proper fix in place for this.

Chris,

By a process of elimination, I surmised something similar.

I’ve fixed the problem now, so everyone will now see only those stations that their version of the software allows them to see.

You’re doing better than you think! I removed 4 of your 15 stations that were still CWOP stations you wouldn’t be able to display, so you now only have 11 stations selected. So you’re seeing data for 10 out of the 11.

Maps…depends what you want to display. Remember that you really need a Mercator projection map for MML, although for relatively small areas of the world between 50 deg N/S you might get away with a square projection.

The question is where can I get maps that are bounded by lat. & lon.? The ones I have see so far are really basic.

What’s with the descrepancy in the map size? the docummentation says 350 x 350 yet a 500 x 500 map was generated for me by Weather-Watch.

Dave

What's with the descrepancy in the map size?

The MML site will generate 500 x 500 but you can use the same map for MML lite as it will be automatically resized within the software. The aspect ratio is the same so there will be no distortion, the only downside is that the file size may be slightly larger than necessary.

Julian

Dave I made my early maps here:

http://www.aquarius.geomar.de/make_map.html

I just started with basic lats and longs and then got the area I wanted, then worked on suaring them up… Takes a bit of time but you can end up with a pretty decent map…

The other option would be the closest radar image to you…

If you want to try radar PM me and I will work with you see what we can put together…

-Bob

OK on the sizing. What’s the end size so I can present that size?