Has WD been tested on Win2003 server 64 bit?

I seem to be having a lot of unrelated problems with WD latest version. I have reinstalled it on a Windows 2003 server which uses an AMD 64 bit processor. The server has tons of memory and 6 serial ports. If it isn’t going to work here, I can always move the program to another machine, although I would rather not. I have a VP2+. Anybody know if this should work? Thanks

what exactly are the problems?

First, the configuration. VP2+ approximately 50’ from Windows 2003 server. Server is running WD (latest version). Server is setup as Client/Server config. The “client” is running Windows 2000 Pro and is a workstation.

Well, the first problem is this: The VP2+ and the computer are located almost 50’ apart. I get a steady blinking green light on the server but the data on the screen doesn’t seem to change. The data quality light on the server does not go red. The client machine now seems to show 2 red lights - for both data quality and data received. Sometimes both client and server seem to work, other times only the server seems to work, and yet other times, neither seems to work. I was having an ftp problem, but that was solved. I also have a firewall a SonicWall TZ-170, but I don’t think that should affect anything on the network, should it?

it does not sound anything pecular to using a 64 bit OS, but just things not setup correctly
do you have it set to use the clientraw.txt file to get the information to the client?
there is a good help on this in the FAQ

I don’t know that 64 vs 32 has any real bearing on these problems, but just as a general comment isn’t there a compatibility setting in the 64 bit version where you can tell it that a program needs to be run as though it’s on a 32 bit system?

This is on the client, which, in my case, is a Windows 2000 Pro machine. It used to work there. I followed the instructions in the FAQ, but after restarting, I get nothing in the data boxes, and two red warning boxes underneath. Data Received = 0 and Data Quality is a red 0. If I go back to
Control panel → Weather Station type, it has DESELECTED “Stationless” - it is forgetting it’s setting. Note: the "Host name or IP address is not changed, but I don’t think I’m supposed to. I strongly suspect the fact that it doesn’t seem to be remembering the settings. Why is that?

[quote author=nikoshepherd

Note that if I DON’T restart the program after changing the settings, the Data Received blinks green and the number counts up. The Data Quality stays red and the number remains at 0. The units are all incorrect which indicates to me that some settings aren’t being remembered. When I go to Control Panel → Units, etc., the settings seem to be correct, and then when I close that window, the units ARE correct except the numbers are wrong. This indicates to me that possibly the client settings aren’t being stored correctly and the server isn’t getting the correct data. The client and server data agree, but both are wrong. I’m guessing that this indicates TWO SEPARATE and INDIVIDUAL problems.

Exactly what OS are you running?

hi
can you email me the settings files from both setups?
(see in the FAQ for how to do that)
also, any errors under view,program error log?

Brian,

I’ve got the client working now. I think the problem was that the registry settings somehow managed to get corrupted. The server still isn’t working correctly so I’m emailing you those files now. Thanks for the help.

what you have wrong is you have set wd up into a ground hog day loop in the client/server setup

you have ticked, use the clientraw.txt file from this location and you have ticked to create the clientraw.txt file
untick the use the clientraw.txt from this location, then restart wd
(i will make sure that wd will only read in the clientraw.txt for client data if its actualy in client mode (and not in server mode)
others have had that trouble before

also i notice you dont have any times set to upload in the web upload times…maybe you dont…
and in the webfiles/web page upload, you only have graph upload ticked…maybe you wanted that too

Thanks, Brian,

I unticked “use the clientraw.txt from this location” closed the program and restarted it. I seem to have lost my readings. The green light is flashing, but the red light below it is on constantly (bad data).

I want only clientraw.txt uploaded to the web pages, because all I use WDL and MML. If I do anything else, I’ll do it later, so all I want is clientraw.txt to upload. Is that right?

Graphing still doesn’t work, but there doesn’t seem to be any data.

i also noticed you had 1440 baud rate ticked in the davis station setup
is that what your davis station is set at?
(note likely, the default is the highest speed)
also, the client sync icons should be ok in the latest version

Hi Brian,

No, I always set it to 19,200, but every time I start the program, the speed is changes to 14,400. So far as I know, there is no way to change the speed at the Davis console. I will download the latest version and replace at both ends and see what that does. If the Server doesn’t read correctly, I’ll try removing it completely (WDISLAY.INI and Registry) and reinstall. I’ll let you know what happens.

Changed to latest version - 10.30j. No luck. Tomorrow morning I’ll try deleting program, registry entries, and wdisplay.ini and see what happens. Also, fwiw, the processor on this machine is 64bit, but the OS - Windows 2003 Server is supposed to operate at 32 bit.

make sure the higher speed baud rate is ticked after you untick the 1440 rate
yes you change the baud rate on the console

You can change baud rate in setup screen 14 your choices are 1200,2400,4800,9600,14400,19200. it’s on page 20 of the manual or you can change it in Weatherlink. Joe

Thanks, Joe,

You’ll note that it also says that the screen won’t appear UNLESS you are using a Davis Datalogger. Well, it turns out that I am, but it was from my old Davis VP, not the VP2. There must be some difference between the two, as I don’t get that screen. Thing is, this setup (VP2+Pro) worked just fine until I switched computers.

One of the goals of my project was to put everything on my new server, since that is always on. I used to use a Windows 2000 server and a gateway machine which ran a software firewall (WinProxy). I replaced the gateway machine with a hardware firewall (SonicWall TZ-170) and the server with a much faster Windows 2003 server with a 64bit processor (running in 32 bit mode, however) and a much larger RAID disk array. There are several 24 hour programs that I run. One of them is Weather Display which feeds my website (WDL & MML), CWOP, Weather Underground, Anything Weather, etc. If I can’t get WD to run on this server, I can always move it over to one of the other machines - I just would rather not do that. I think I may try two things - I can get an RS-232c amplifier (the length of the run is about 50’ between the VP2+ and the server (thinking that the issue might be the less than adequate serial port), or I can get a data logger specifically for the VP2+ (which shouldn’t be necessary as this worked before). If neither of those two don’t work, I can always switch WD to one of the old machines - it worked for several months on both of them with the setup just as I had it. I’m really not certain where to go from here.

Best,

maybe try installing wd to a new directory, then create a file their called 2wd.txt (i.e save a file with notepad.exe called 2wd, their)
then run wd from their
it should then start up like brand new, no settings…and set up the basics…as a test…it sounds to me like its a baud rate mismatch…

Hi Brian,

Thanks.

I’ll give that a try. It sounded like a baud rate mismatch to me as well, but I tried switching baud rates (with a shut-down and start-up of WD between each baud rate setting) and it didn’t seem to help. I thought that the “data received” light somehow showed that the data was being received and that the data quality light indicated that what was being received was good. My thinking was that I could shut off the use of clientraw.txt by the client completely and that somehow WD multicasted over port 333 to the entire network.

Then again, maybe I have to get the server working properly before I can go anywhere else.