WXSIM in New Zealand?

Looks like a REALLY cool program… but I don’t know how it would peform in NZ where METARs and SYNOPS are limited… also there is no MOS guidance here.

Is that you Brian on the map in Auckland, how does it go for you?

Cheers

that would be a limit for the program alight, the lack of metar data…unles it is able to pick up the 3 hourly synop data?
is awhitu on it, do you mean?

It can pick up Synop/bouy data (as well as other data like upper atmosphere readings if available).

Send an email to Tom and ask him . He will look it up and advise you. His email address in on program.
Chuck

Hmm yeah who is that?

Thanks for the advice… can WD become fully automated with this?

The basic answer is no because WXSim is not a fully automated product. WXSim requires manual input to run. This is partly because the sources it uses do not allow for automated collection of data (this is beyond Tom’s control), and partly because it has many many options to allow the user to adjust it for the local area forecast.

WD could be made to collect the output and display it as part of a website but that would be all…

Stuart

There’s also the WXSIMate tool which can pick up WD data and other data to act as input for the simulation run.

Quite correct Chris, but even then the Ready data has to be collected manually, this is the main one which HAS to be done manually as the site does not allow anything other than a human to read the data…

Stuart

awhitu is my station at the farm,
http://www.weather-display.com/windy/otherdat.htm
and the met service get the data every hour from a special metar (it has a HGWV data in it)
i am wanting to shift that station to a site further up the heads and more exposed too

Hi,

I was just checking the forum for the first time in a few weeks and saw your questions about WXSIM in New Zealand.

Looks like something I may just use in the future, but not yet.
Looks very accurate.
I assume you can manuallly add airport METARs which aren’t publicly avaliable?

Cheers

Hi,
<<I assume you can manuallly add airport METARs which aren’t publicly avaliable?>>

If you have the site on file in your customization, you can still manually enter its data when you’re on the advection form. It has to be a site WXSIM “knows” about. I have over 70 New Zealand METAR and/or synoptic (most are just synoptic) sites in my data base, and could give you a list in case there’s some other site you’d like to include.

Please let me know if you have more questions! :slight_smile:

Tom