Royal Meteorological Society Event.

Event : Amateur Observing into the 21st Century- New Technologies, New Opportunities
Date : Saturday 19 November 2005
Place : Zoological Society of London Meeting Rooms, London Zoo, Regents Park, London

Places are still available if anyone is interested. Visit http://www.rmets.org/event/detail.php?ID=108 for more info.

This event is a series of speakers throughout the day covering a wide range of topics. The subject matter is intended to cover the role of amateur meteorologists, their automatic weather stations and softaware.

During the breaks and lunch there will be a display of the latest technology from Davis and Oregon Scientific.

Better still Chris and Julian will be there demonstrating the latest inovations from the WeatherDisplay family.

And, if we can get the technology to work, we will have a short vidoe conference with Brian during the lunch break.

sounds good!
I better make surre I have had a shave and my hair is brushed before we start the video conference…you never know who might be watching…the Queen even maybe? :smiley:

I’ve heard King Julian of Colchester will be there.

And don’t forget to get in a comfortable upside down position. I’ve seen some video conferences with the southern hemisphere ruined because the people down there don’t realise that they appear upside down on our screens. I’m assuming it will be easier to get you to stand on your head than for us to get everyone at the event to do that just for you.

I don’t think Colchester has had a King for many years - unless you’re thinking of my wife Boudicca?

If your wife is King of Colchester does that make you Queen Julian of Colchester 8O

I hope to pay homage to the Kings of Colchester and Blackpool at this event…

Stuart

Look forward to seeing you there!

Julian

Wish I could be there but it’s a bit of a drive for me! :smiley: But seriously, sounds like a great event. Best of luck.

I will be there remotely, via yahoo messenger and web cam, LOL :wink:
problem is it will be the middle of the night (2 nite) for me

Pity the video conference did not happen, I was looking forward to seeing Brian with his eyes propped open with matchsticks… Apparently the mobile phone connection on the laptops they were using was not good enough,did not have sufficient bandwidth.

Chris & Julian seemed to have a steady stream of people interested in MML.

Stuart

I could see King Julian and King Chris OK, but they had trouble seeing me…just still frame half the time…
so they pulled the plug (as the sound was very start/stop too)
i was glad to get some sleep as i had to get up and 5:30 am milk cows!

sounds like the conference went very well
hopefully there will be some pictures!

The sound was more stop than start I’m afaid. We waved at Brian and he waved back, but that was as far as it went. We weren’t sure why we got video and not audio across the limited link we had, but then these are computers sent to confuse us!

The problem was the building/room we were in. Mobile phone signals (particularly 3G signals) don’t pass through reinforced concrete very well :frowning: In many locations I get a 384k/s link, but I was only getting 57.6k in the room and even that was dropping out on occasions. (Note for me/Julian to investigate…when the link fails you get tornados across the country!)

At least Brian got some beauty sleep :wink:

and then my ISP fell over just after midnight and was out for the next 10 hours anyway!
(so It would not have been able to have worked anyway!)
(they have had a few outages lately, on some backup at the moment)
so how did it all go?

It was a very good event, the presentations were interesting and some quite thought provoking. There was plenty of interest in WD/WDL, and especially MML, which was being displayed on a large screen from a projector. Indeed MML was mentioned by several of the presenters during their talks. Chris had set up several maps from around the world, with the temperatures in Russia attracting a lot of comments - -24C windchill made the icy conditions in Regents Park that morning seem positively balmy. :slight_smile:

It was a shame that we couldn’t link up live with Brian but as Chris noted the connection just wasn’t good enough and the noisy conditions in the room would have made conversations, with the delay, quite difficult.

Overall though a very good event which was well organised and thanks must go to Alistair and his team at the UK WeatherShop for sponsoring it.

Julian