When WD is off

Hi all,

I have a couple of questions; here is the scenario: when the WD is off for say 10 days (when I am on travel), and I turn it back on, I will download the data from the datalogger…

1. Is the “All time records” updated? I think the answer is “no”, but just wanted to make sure that I am not missing some clicks here and there to make it update…

2. What about the: Averages/Extreme NOAA style reports? If not, is there a way to make it?

Thanks,
Reha

Hard to answer this Q without knowing what station/data logger you have?

yes they are updated…but if you are talking about a davis VP, then to get 10 days of storage then your logging interval must be set at 10 minutes?
hopefully WD will then still pad out the missing data and so the noaa reports should still square up OK
if not, then easy to get them to, by checking the log file and making sure the day change is properly handled in the log file (i.e the hour and minute, compared to when its normaly running OK)

oops, i forgot…VP1 plus and the original datalogger that Davis sent. You say “yes” to both questions…hmmm…I remember once I was away, and the all time records nor the Noaa averages updated…they both started from the day I turned WD on (i.e. I was away July1-4, so when I turned the WD on, Noaa for July started with July4 and all time records I had to do it by hand). Since you say, they are updated, what do I need to do other than just downloading the data? Yes, for 10+ days, I would put time interval 10min and data padding 10min…thanks. BTW, I am on 10.28o version.

i would suggest trying the latest version, which is better for handling different data intervals
and i would do a test, i.e not have wd running from say 10pm to 8am (or whenever, the next morning)
the alltime records are checked for, maybe it was not so good in that older version, but it should be OK now

Thanks Brian…one thing I meant to ask before updating is…is the monthly/all time records flashing an “option” that I could set with the newer version? Because, I would like to have that…this topic goes back to the time when many were complaining about this and I suggested that we have it as an option…thanks so much! I will do a test tonight and report back tomorrow. -Reha

yes i added that

Can you just leave it running while you are away?

I would if it was for a few days…I will be gone for 17 days and I am using an old laptop PIII 900Mhz…and I don’t want to risk of happenning anything while away…you never know…call me paranoid…better safe then sorry…

Brian, could you tell me where that option is? thanks, Reha

don’t worry, I got it…reha

[quote author=reha link=topic=11718.msg88880#msg88880 date=1129596261]
I would if

Ok…here are the findings from the experiment…that is I turned off WD over night from 11 or so until 9 the next morning. I see that it did NOT update the coldext/warmest day/night and there is no entry for NOAA averages for the 17th (yesterday), there is 16th but not 17th…maybe you can help me to fix these…thanks.

The only concern I’d have with leaving the pc on when away that long would be a lightning strike.

I was working on the pc before this one about 2 years ago during a thunderstorm and as the storm moved directly over head there was a most unmercifull crash of thunder and a fork of lightning.
It fried the pc,the modem and pretty much everything else connected.
There was a shoot of flame from under my feet also where all these things were located. 8O

Hi Brian, maybe you missed my follow up post…from above “…I turned off WD over night from 11 or so until 9 the next morning. I see that it did NOT update the coldext/warmest day/night and there is no entry for NOAA averages for the 17th (yesterday), there is 16th but not 17th…maybe you can help me to fix these”…thanks again, Reha

ok, for the coldest/warmest, i will do some checking on why that did not occur
for the noaa reports, post here a snippet of the log file from during the midnight time period change over
and a snippet from the day before when that was OK, so we can see the differences

ok, i see where and why that was being missed, the warmest/coldest day, etc…
it was because that routine was in the main minute timer, which is not done with the data extract…but i have added it to the data extract routine now…so it should be OK for the next version of wd

So, you are set? or you still want me to post NOAA? and if yes, could you tell me which log file, i am not sure which one you want…thanks!

i still want you to
its the log file 102005lg.txt

Here are they…