Tower Installation

Most of the one that I have see do that.

[quote author=NorCal Dan link=topic=11629.msg88095#msg88095 date=1129136424]
Anybody have experience erecting a 70 ft tower?

:lol:

Yea, especially up here where I am on the hill, that 70 ft would be almost 1500 ft tall…

Can’t decide if I want to spend the money on a tower or try using on of the trees by topping it and mounting the mast to it. Only problem is the batteries in the ISS, not sure I want to climb up there and change them out every year…the tree is tall enough to clear all obstacles so I might give it a try and see how it goes…would save me $2K+ on a tower and the cement base to hold it.

That would make up my mind, right there… LOL (Well that would make the “Boss” make my mind up for me) Oyyyyyyyyyyyyyy “You want to spend HOW Much on a what? Are you NUTZ…”

-Bob

Don’t tell her about the webcam I bought then… #-o

Too late…

Yea, the tree is looking better and better :rofl:

Dan,

Here is a tease for you (No climbing to change the batteries just crank it down)

http://www.hamradio.com/web/ustowers/ust1.jpg

Thanks…I have seen the crankup towers. I like the idea, just not the price tag. I wonder if I could remote the batteries in the ISS and fan to ground level…hmmmm

What ever the height of the mast, you must be able to get to the top, in event of a service. by a very long ladder, cherry picker etc
I’ve got a 90ft wind up mast ( triangle style ) not yet used for weather station but used for radios.

[quote author=NorCal Dan link=topic=11629.msg88095#msg88095 date=1129136424]
Anybody have experience erecting a 70 ft tower?

For the fixed towers we use gin poles (a pulley mounted to short piece of heavy pipe) clamp it to the last section raised. Climb another ten feet and repeat the process until the finished height is reached. You can end up attaching sections hanging 100’ in the air around this area. And no I don’t climb anything over 40 feet anymore :oops:

Chuck

8O

is the top guyed ?

Yes the entire tower is guyed from the thirty foot level then every twenty feet or less depending on the site after that.

If you really want to see a mast check out the KVLY-TV television transmitting tower in North Dakota, it’s a 2,063 ft (628.8 m) guyed steel lattice mast http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jsessionid=1epn9qpwdwehf?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=KVLY-TV+mast&gwp=8&curtab=2222_1&sbid=lc03b&linktext=KVLY-TV%20mast tallest one I ever went up was only 12% of that one.

Thats just a few feet taller than what I need here #-o

[quote author=nikoshepherd

imagine the amount of cement below the ground !!

The article stated the top could be reached by ladder or the built in elevator. I’ll take the elevator thank you!!!

addicted to google http://www.xs4all.nl/~hnetten/tallest.html

HEHE, i just asked the harbour master and took one of the old lamp post for free :slight_smile:
just concreting in a base section and in a couple of days i should be able to hoist (i hope!) up the main section with windy thing attached to the top :slight_smile:
Total cost to me 1 bag of cement (<

Interesting link, but sheesh, having to go to all those pages with the crap advertising all over them… urk ! :slight_smile: