Hurricane Rita

We are on the northern fringe of Rita as it passes some 100 miles to our south/southeast…first bands are passing through now…really don’t expect too much…

Please feel free to check out my weather website created by WD and WDL…

Make sure to check out the weather display live by choosing it from the drop down menus
at the top, or by clicking on the secind link below:

http://www.naples-fl-weather.com

http://www.naples-fl-weather.com/wdl/index.html

Enjoy

I expected to see the pressure drop with the storm passing but don’t see much change. I guess thats a good thing for you, means the storm is far away…

those outer rain bands sure do have alot of rain in them!
and an impressive temperature drop too
just like a cold front going through

yeah, look like it is ramping up. cat 2 now. Hope there is not much surge in LA. MS area. they cannot take it. My wife is in Austin, TX, but leaving on Thursday eve. should beat the storm

Pressure was craziest thing of all…drop really didn’t take place until the storm was well past us…lowest pressure was just a couple of hours ago…

Reports now saying it will hit with close to cat 4. hope not. I did check your data labs4me, didn’t look bad for you at all

Well…Hurricane Rita is farther away than she was earlier today, but her impact is a little more prounounced as she heads to the TX coast.

In the last 30 mins, we have seen .40" of rain to total up to 1.37" for the day and still going.

I think the Florida Keys got lucky… It looks like Rita is forming up into a real strong hurricane after glancing by. Cat 4 by tomorrow afternoon and it looks to be a slam into TX… but that High sitting over the southern states might slide faster which would move Rita closer to LA.

The water in the Gulf is pretty warm.

LA doesn’t need a direct hit, just a lot of rain to really cause some more problems.

We don’t get hurricanes in AZ… Might be HOT but its a DRY heat…

I hate to say it, but the SW FL coast is becoming a breeding grounds for killer hurricanes…

We live is probably the best area to live in FL for hurricanes…

1. Cuba is there to knock the stuffing out of a threat from the south

2. And there is very little room from the west for a hurricane to be born, strengthen, get huge and move East/SE…

Not to mention the intangible…I bought a generator last year and a weather station…my wife says that since I did those two things, we have been safe and sound…

Category 5

Hard to believe that it has gotten to Cat 5 already.

`000
WTNT63 KNHC 211955
TCUAT3
HURRICANE RITA TROPICAL CYCLONE UPDATE
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
255 PM CDT WED SEP 21 2005

DATA FROM RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT INDICATE THAT RITA HAS REACHED
CATEGORY FIVE INTENSITY WITH ESTIMATED MAXIMUM SUSTAINED SURFACE
WINDS OF 165 MPH. THIS WILL BE REFLECTED IN THE 4 PM CDT ADVISORY.

FORECASTER AVILA`

[quote author=krelvinaz link=topic=11277.msg85154#msg85154 date=1127334973]
Category 5

Hard to believe that it has gotten to Cat 5 already.

`000
WTNT63 KNHC 211955
TCUAT3
HURRICANE RITA TROPICAL CYCLONE UPDATE
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
255 PM CDT WED SEP 21 2005

DATA FROM RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT INDICATE THAT RITA HAS REACHED
CATEGORY FIVE INTENSITY WITH ESTIMATED MAXIMUM SUSTAINED SURFACE
WINDS OF 165 MPH.

And, headed over very warm water (fuel) right now…

Having living here in Texas for 30 years this storm has our attention. At Cat 5 at land fall this gal is going to raise havoc with Texas many miles inland
Coyote

Does a hurricane follow the warmer water, or is it’s path just a very unfortunate coincidence?

From what I have read, there is a high pressure dome above the storm which is controlling its path. As the high moves off the the east, the storm will then get pulled along around behind the high which is when it will turn to the north.

Also, interesting article about how this will affect our gas prices - $5 gal?

http://money.cnn.com/2005/09/21/news/economy/rita_threat/index.htm

CAT5 hurricane now - 175mph winds.

If you’re not careful you’ll be getting somewhere near UK prices!

[-quote author=administrator link=topic=11277.msg85202#msg85202 date=1127387465]
If you’re not careful you’ll be getting somewhere near UK prices!

We may end up going back to Horse and Buggy for awhile. I am on the south end of possible strike and the high pressure system is moving eastward. Looks like for now it going to take its projected path and two of our major refinerys are in the way.. Coyote :(

The real pressure will be on heating oil and natural gas.

The major production of heating oil is only done at one time period of the year and the production of gasoline the rest. The gasoline stock piles are high now as they are supposed to be but heating oil is what is supposed to be produced right now.

With a lot of the gulf refineries shutting down or already damaged, the cost of heating oil which is ued in the Northwest US a lot will climb very quickly.

Gasoline shouldn’t be in short supply however the pipelines that move the product into staging areas throughout the US may be effected if they loose power like they did when Katrina went through. That is why places like Atlanta were so badly effected because they couldn’t get gas even though it was plentiful.

Here in Arizona, our gas spiked when Katrina hit which was interesting since most of our gas comes via pipeline from California which was not effected by the hurricane or pipeline outages.

Long term, it will cause a real problem for the whole country though if Rita does some real damage (as I expect it will) to the refineries along the coast.

One of the major problems with fuel supply is that the US is out of refining capacity and they have to run at near 99% just to keep up. Since we have such wierd regional gas formulations, we can’t readily import Gasoline directly. So prices will head up as supply dwindles… It could be a real mess in a couple months when the Gas production is supposed to ramp back up.

One way of solving part of the problem would be to mandate that the types of gasoline are all the same in each region which would then make it possible to actually import the finished product until more refineries are built. Of course, we are not yet building new refineries which is one of the big problems to begin with.

This picture does not do the storm justice. Have you seen the size of this thing? It is huge.