WS2310 siting

Hello all,
I’m new to the site, but I’ve been getting alot of helpful information here for the past month so I thought I’d pose some questions myself. I got a WS2310TWC earlier this year and have been trying to connect it to the web, but as I’ve learned I have to build a Stevenson Screen for the temperature/hygrometer and re-wire all the sensors. Thus, until I am prepped to do those things I won’t have my system back onto the web.
1. For siting the temperature/hygrometer sensor should I leave it under the eaves on my two story house after I install it in the Stevenson screen or can I move it up onto the mast with the anemometer and rain gauge? My mast is mounted to the chimney with the anemometer elevated to a level just above the peak of the roof.
2. I’m planning on re-wiring with Cat 5e wire, but do I need to run an individual wire for each sensor or can I run one wire and put two RJ-11 connectors on the temperature/hygrometer sensor end? Or for what it’s worth, put in two junction boxes at the two ends and run a LAN cable between the boxes.
3. I haven’t seen anywhere that someone has mentioned re-wiring the cable that goes between the base station and the computer. Does that need to be done also with twisted pair.

Thanks in advance for the inputs, I'm trying to get it all right one last time since I really don't like climbing up onto my two story roof line.

Paul

In terms of siting your instruments for optimum accuracy, check the Instrument Siting Guide for the Citizen Weather Observer Program at http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dshelms/CWOP_Guide.pdf

Paul, I have my sensors mounted above the roof and find that even with my FARS I still get slightly elevated temp readings due to reflection of heat from the roof. I plan to move my sensors back to ground level. The temp sensor should be mounted close (less than 5m) to the ground and over natural vegitation (like grass).

Dan,
I was thinking that the roof might still be a problem due to reflected radiation, so I think a shielded sensor under the eaves may be helpful. Will probably need to add a fan since circulation isn’t always best close to the house. I would put the sensor out in the yard, but the ‘boss’ won’t go for that!

Gary,
I’m currently at work so I’m blocked from the PDF you wrote about. Will try that tonight!

Thanks for the thoughts so far!

Paul

to be able to measure cold overnight temperature due to no wind and clear skies, then the temperaure sensor needs to be exposed to the night sky (well i.e the instrument enclosure)
having it under a eave or under a porch/patio means it wont get that same cooling due to long wave infra red radiation loss that it would get if its sited out in an open area…
my thoughts anyway

As for the cables, yes, you can run both computer and wind on the same cable… I have exactly that here with the temp/hum sensor on about an 18m sheilded 8way to the house which then splits off to the roof and down to the computer…
I could suggest which pairings to use but I have lost my pinouts at this point… :? (i didnt use twisted pair cable just 8way screened security cable so it didn’'t matter…)

Brian is correct. You want to get your temp/humidity sensor away from the house and over an open grassy area if at all possible otherwise your readings won’t be representative. As mentioned in a previous post, the CWOP guide is an excellent resource.
Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of friendly and knowledgeable folks here that will be happy to help if you have any other questions. Happy weather observing! :slight_smile:

New poster here

I actually just got done setting one up about two weeks ago and am having problems with temperatures spiking in the late morning.

I found that no matter what shielding I tried if it was close to a wall that got any direct sun exposure the wall retained heat enough to skew the temperature readings. I finally moved mine to an area of very large shrubbery, 20’ tall bushes basically and it is much better.

-Bob

and its also amazing where reflected radiation comes from too…you can be surprised :wink: