cloudy cloudy

Author Topic: Building website traffic  (Read 10291 times)

Online Weather Display

• Davis VP2
  • New Zealand
    • Weather Display
Re: Building website traffic
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2005, 12:35:26 AM »
dang,my site sure is a hog, LOL

Offline aardvark

• Des Moines, Iowa
  • Des Moines, Iowa, USA
    • Des Moines, Iowa Weather and Climate
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2005, 01:29:45 AM »
WebPage Statistics:
http://home.mchsi.com/~dsmweather/
Total WebPage Size  41751 (bytes) 
Visible Text Size  2039 (bytes) 
Size of HTML Tags   39712 (bytes) 
Text to HTML Ratio  5.38% 
Number of Images  49   
Largest Image Size  617675 (bytes) 
Size of All Images  1021100 (bytes) 
Grand Total:
Images+Html=  1062851 (bytes) 

Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2); Soil Moisture/Temp Station;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Mojave; Webcam; https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KIADESMI1&cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Offline NorCal Dan

• Dan - KJ6RGX
  • Davis Vue/Win10
  • Ocean Park, WA.
    • Traveling RV Weather
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2005, 02:29:47 AM »
WebPage Statistics:
http://weather.dcrooks.net/
Total WebPage Size    19432 (bytes)
Visible Text Size    4726 (bytes)
Size of HTML Tags     14706 (bytes)
Text to HTML Ratio    24.81%
Number of Images     14 
Largest Image Size    70281 (bytes)
Size of All Images    204538 (bytes)
Grand Total:
Images+Html=     223970 (bytes)

Offline TNETWeather

• Kevin Reed (KrelvinAZ)
  • Gremlins are at work...
  • Mesa, AZ
    • TNET Weather Station - Mesa AZ
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2005, 03:10:52 AM »
Web Page Statistics
http://www.tnetweather.com
Total WebPage Size    19027 (bytes)
Visible Text Size    4660 (bytes)
Size of HTML Tags     14367 (bytes)
Text to HTML Ratio    24.99%
Number of Images     11 
Largest Image Size    14531 (bytes)
Size of All Images    49839 (bytes)
Grand Total:
Images+Html=     68866 (bytes)

All you need is Time, Aptitude and Desire ... and you can build just about anything...

Offline aardvark

• Des Moines, Iowa
  • Des Moines, Iowa, USA
    • Des Moines, Iowa Weather and Climate
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2005, 04:24:19 AM »
With frontpage  there is an option to remove all white space, thus removing extra bytes when it uploads to the site.  The down side is debugging from the site and of course   you want to upload one direction rather than sync or it gets interesting as the site and work piece are exact, with no white space.

oy.
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2); Soil Moisture/Temp Station;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Mojave; Webcam; https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KIADESMI1&cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Offline administrator

• Administrator
  • Get answers to your questions - use Forum SEARCH!
  • Blackpool, UK
    • Weather-Watch.com
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2005, 11:50:53 AM »
Removing whitespace may not make much difference. Some (all?) HTTP servers like Apache have plugins giving them the ability to send pages in a compressed format. For example, this forum sends pages in GZIP format to browsers that can handle it. This will speed up page downloads for many users without having to worry about minor things like whitespaces.
Chris
Weather Forum Administrator

Offline wibble

• Defford, Worcestershire, UK
    • wibbleweather
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2005, 12:58:45 PM »
Fab article. I only did my site as hobby and never really expected too many visitors but  must admit that I have fallen into "wow, look at all this site visitor traffic " without too much attention as to whether it is "good" or "bad" traffic. Since I started monitoring my site traffic at the beginning of July I have had 400 visitors & 1200 hits. Is that normal ? or below or above average? I have no idea. I know I have had visitors from Austria, USA, NZ, Russia & Poland and as you say should I consider them good or bad. I don't know yet. I have also followed back some of the visiting IP address's and found one or two link-backs to me I did not even knew existed.
Most of the reccuring visitors are due to the fact that I am sited over the final approach leg and landing threshold of the local air strip. They have no weather measuring abilities and my site is given out to all visiting aviators to check on local conditions before flying in. Glad some one out there finds wibbleweather useful.
Defford, UK

Offline carterlake

• Tom Chaplin
  • Carter Lake, Iowa USA
    • Carter Lake, Iowa Weather
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2005, 03:15:22 PM »
With frontpage  there is an option to remove all white space, thus removing extra bytes when it uploads to the site.  The down side is debugging from the site and of course   you want to upload one direction rather than sync or it gets interesting as the site and work piece are exact, with no white space.

White space really is neglegible. (You can fit an entire novel in 200K of text) It's graphics that eat up the bytes.

Nice thought though.

WD; Davis VP2 6153; Quickcam for Notebooks Pro; Boltek w/ Nexstorm; GRLevel3; Live NOAA radio

Offline carterlake

• Tom Chaplin
  • Carter Lake, Iowa USA
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2005, 03:23:45 PM »
Since I started monitoring my site traffic at the beginning of July I have had 400 visitors & 1200 hits. Is that normal ? or below or above average? I have no idea.

Hi Wibble. Glad you liked it. I didn't really go into what is "high" amounts of visitors because it varies from location to location. Obviously a smaller town is going to get less visitors. And then there's who has internet access in said town. Anyway, if we start posting stats it quickly becomes a pissing match of who has more when such a number is completely subjective.

Monitoring your traffic is certainly the good step toward a better understand.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2005, 04:30:48 PM by carterlake »

WD; Davis VP2 6153; Quickcam for Notebooks Pro; Boltek w/ Nexstorm; GRLevel3; Live NOAA radio

Offline wibble

• Defford, Worcestershire, UK
    • wibbleweather
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2005, 08:12:33 AM »
if we start posting stats it quickly becomes a pissing match of who has more when such a number is completely subjective.
Couldn't agree more. Wasn't posting stats as a brag but genuinely as I have no idea what is considered low , medium & high traffic these days & was hoping some one could enlighten me.. As I said its a hobby I do in any spare time I have so its not the 'be-all-&-end-all' of my life
Defford, UK

Offline carterlake

• Tom Chaplin
  • Carter Lake, Iowa USA
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2005, 10:36:38 PM »
Couldn't agree more. Wasn't posting stats as a brag but genuinely as I have no idea what is considered low , medium & high traffic these days & was hoping some one could enlighten me.. As I said its a hobby I do in any spare time I have so its not the 'be-all-&-end-all' of my life

Hope I didn't offend Wibble. I just think it's a very hard number to nail down. From Googling, I understand Defford is pretty small - 600 people? - so your traffic sounds pretty darn good to me.

Offline TNETWeather

• Kevin Reed (KrelvinAZ)
  • Gremlins are at work...
  • Mesa, AZ
    • TNET Weather Station - Mesa AZ
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2005, 12:12:56 AM »
I'm curious what you are calling a "Hit"

I know that some count any hit on their page as a hit.  Some of the page counters are a little more elaborate than that though such as Awstats.

In Awstats for example, it shows tnetweather getting 108,717 hits in July.  But there were only 9,953 unique vistors with 16,041 visits and    78,776 pages.

So it reports:

Hits      108,717
   Unique Visitors     9,953
   Visits       16,041
   Pages        78,776

Kind of a mishmash of stats that mean more to some than others.

And of course there is bandwidth...

812.18 MB for the Month of July
   (51.84 KB/visit)

All you need is Time, Aptitude and Desire ... and you can build just about anything...

Offline administrator

• Administrator
  • Get answers to your questions - use Forum SEARCH!
  • Blackpool, UK
    • Weather-Watch.com
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2005, 11:41:36 AM »
A hit is usually an access to any item to be sent to the browser, so a HTML page with 3 images would count as 4 hits. For example, weather-watch.com had nearly 600,000 page accesses last month or 4.4million hits. These accesses came from 69300 unique visits consuming 12.2GB of outbound bandwidth).
Chris
Weather Forum Administrator

Offline dsscheibe

• Phoenix, AZ
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Firefox 62.0
    • Scotts Weather Station, Cactus Wren, Phoenix, Arizona
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2018, 12:41:31 AM »
LISTING ON SEARCH ENGINES

Listing today is easy. There are really only two search engines left on today’s Internet: 1) Google; 2) MSN

Visit the links below. Submit your main webpage. DONE!

http://www.google.com/addurl/?continue=/addurl
http://search.msn.com/docs/submit.aspx

search.msn.com..
September182018
Anonymous URL Submission Tool Being Retired

The Google one doesn't work for me as google knows me and wanted to know if I wanted to resubmit a sitemap..

My biggest probelm is standing out, there are many pws and bloomsky sites in Phoenix, you can get weather on your phone acuweather app, ect. Being in a big city Phoenix which is 7th in the US. 

I could not get the first page annaliser to to work but the second one was great, first page to recognize my compression tag, was not even sure it was working as the validators do not like it and I am not sure it is coded right, could not find a single example of correct coding for it..

My biggest bit of advertising is WD posting my weather on twitter every 4 hours more or less during the day with my url, weather, #tags .

I need to change my hitslog counter to something else as it says I have no visitors I know I have the page up on my laptop to be sure it is updating and at work..  I thought texting my wife to reboot the weather station computer would be understood but she rebooted the computer in the office instead... You would think after she has seen and complained about all the time I have spent working on the weather station pages (using the TV as a second monitor)  she would know which one was which...
Scott
Davis Pro2 Plus daytime aspirated, wired
Weather Display

Offline dsscheibe

• Phoenix, AZ
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Firefox 62.0
    • Scotts Weather Station, Cactus Wren, Phoenix, Arizona
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2018, 12:47:39 AM »
http://analyze.websiteoptimization.com/wso

# Congratulations. This site is using HTTP compression, otherwise called content encoding using gzip. The sizes reported here are for compressed content sent from the server to the client.

Code: [Select]
   <meta http-equiv="content="Accept-Encoding: br;q=1.0, gzip;q=0.8, *;q=0.1;" />  Not sure the meta settings are right I could not find a fully coded example of the accept command.
Scott
Davis Pro2 Plus daytime aspirated, wired
Weather Display

cumulus