Help with WD settings file, please...!

Hi…
While doing some maintenance work on my PC I deleted my local windows profile and recreated it. Now when WD starts, it runs fine, but all my settings in the WD control panel pages are gone (ie. my FTP server settings, metar locations, etc).

What file do I need to restore from backup to get these settings back in WD??? (And where is that file located?) I really don’t want to reconfigure it again. It took weeks to get it right!

Thanks for your help!
Larry

Hi
wdisplay.ini from c:\windows or c:\winnt
try that?

tried that. No difference. I suspect the settings got wiped when I upgraded to ver. 10.27h and had nothing to do with my Windows profile. And now, everytime I make a change to in the WD control panel and hit OK to save, WD crashes about 30 seconds later.

setting do not get wiped when you upgrade.
there is something else going on, like a firewall issue or similar
any errors in the file programerrorlog.txt?
do you have a back up of your wdisplayftp.reg file?

Brian:
Yeah…I dont understand what might have happened. I have upgraded numerous times in the past and never had settings disappear. The only other thing I did do yesterday was install windows XP service pack 2. I know it has additional firewall security in it, but I don’t THINK it’s affecting WD.

Attached is the programerrorlog… Not sure how much help it will be to you.

(I cannot find a file called wdisplayftp.reg on either my current C: drive or my backup drive.)

it sounds like a firewall issue to me in some ways
i dont see the programerrorlog ?
did you have wd set to do daily zip backups
(recommended)
where the wdisplayftp.reg file and the wdisplay.ini file are automaticly backed up to a day stamped zip file, in the databackup folder

Sorry…forgot to attach the errorlog! Attached now!

However…I have gotten some of the program reconfigured but having one hurdle I am stuck on.

From the FTP/Metar Download tab in the FTP settings, it is correctlt downlowding my noaa zone (flz074.txt) but it is trying to put it to a local file: c:\wdisplay\flz074.txt

NOTE the TWO \ before the file name. As a result, the correct file is not being uploaded to the website for use in WDL. I cannot see where to fix this file so that there is only ONE '' before the filename. I am attaching the screen shot of my setup page as well as the ftpup log showing the weird file path. (I checked on my backup system…and the ftpup log shows the path as correct as c:\wdisplay\flz074.txt with just ONE ''.

I went into the portion that says “local directpry to place the files” for both Metar and FTP, and they are pointed correctly.

How can I fix this?

Thanks!
Larry

programerrorlog.txt (11.7 KB)

ftplog.txt (4.07 KB)

When you press the Select Metar download Directory button, what does it say.

BTW… having two slashes syntatically means nothing.

the path c:\wdfile\\arff is the same as c:\wdfile\arff

Brian:
Attached is screen shot of the dialog box and setting when I press select metar download directory.

I beg to differ with you on your the file path statement.

Try saving a text file to c:\wdisplay\test.txt

You can’t.

That’s exactly why the flz074.txt file is not saving correctly on my machine.

When I press the TEST button on the page and I open the FTPUP program and watch it, it says LOCAL FILE: c:\wdisplay\flz074.txt.
I can’t get rid of the double slash.

It appears that the flz074.txt file is, in fact, being put into the c:\wdisplay folder, but when the ftp program tries to upload local file c:\wdisplay\flz074.txt to my web site (WDL) , it CANT find the file, and therefore uploads 0 bytes. The file in the wdisplay folder is actually being updated correctly and has the current forecast in it…but WD cant find it as it is looking for c:\wdisplay\flz074.txt

It works for any version of Windows I’ve ever used…

Start -> Run -> cmd

type the following

echo "arff" > c:\wdisplay\\test.txt

You will now have a file in c:\wdisplay\test.txt (note 1 slash) and it will containt arff.

Posted about the same time…

I recall seeing this before though… let me look through my notes.

The double slash is not the problem.

If you look at my ftp log it does the same thing... [b]C:\Program Files\Wdisplay32[color=Red]\\[/color]azz023.txt[/b] FTPUPD.EXE finished at 11:27:43 PM 7/23/2005 Time taken = 0.05 minutes Total bytes uploaded = 0 K Total bytes uploaded for the day = 1079 Mb Total bytes uploaded for the month = 19045 Mb *******list of files uploaded********

Mine is in a different location than yours, but if you look, you will see the double \ in the path.

Unless you are using a different FTP program it should still work.

I don’t know of any FTP program that will not accept a double slash as the same as a single one on any platform.

One thing you might try would be to create a directory for it to put the file into. And try that path instead. I don’t see how it would make a difference but who knows.

Opps…

The file is not being sent.

you need to set the ftp download directory as well as the metar download directory
the double slash is something i can fix (i.e i am adding a slash to a directory but it already has it on the end), but windows should be able to handle it ok still

i notice you said you deleted your profile
that wil cause the loss of the internet settings
but there is way to get them back…
if you use regedit.exe and search for wdisplayftp.ini, you should find the old and the new…and you just then need to set the new to the old for the path name in that file (export the setting, change each line in a editor, then re import it again)

OK, Brian…I have been able to fix the \ in the path by simply going into the registry and removing the \ after c:\wdisplay in a few instances. However, during my testing last night, I must have unticked a check box for my clientraw upload somewhere, because now when ftp starts, it returns a message “please specify a remote file for upload.”

I can’t find the correct box in WD to tick! Which one is it again?

(remember I am only interested in sending the files for WDL…i am not currently publishing the full WD to my web site)
thanks!
Larry

Forget the above post. I had to remove one of the tick marks, save, put it back in, save and restart WD. Now it is uploading both clientraw.txt and clientrawextra.txt as scheduled.

However, it appears those files do not yet have the noaa conditions/forecasts in them, and are using data from the VP. But if I remember correctly, sometimes you have to wait 30 mins or more for this to sync up properly. I’ll wait a while and see what happens. Hopefully, I have the correct boxes ticked to use the noaa forecasts!

Larry

Ok…I’m ALMOST there, and with someone’s help I can get overthis last hurdle…
I have had WD and WDL running for three hours now and my clientraw and clientrawextra files are updating properly locally and being uploaded properly. However, the content is not correct.

For the Current Conditions, Clientraw has “Scattered clouds at 3200 feet” instead of the sky conditions, which should say something like “Partly Sunny.”

The clientrawextra forecast is using the VP forecast instead of the noaa forcast Which is coming in correctly locally from flz074.txt It says “increasing_clouds_with_little_temp._change._precipitation_possible_within_24_to_48_hrs”, This should be my local from flz074.txt.

I have had this problem in the past and don’t remember how I fixed it.
Can anyone help me get these parameters correct?

Thanks!
Larry

Is this what your looking for? Control Panel–> FTP/Internet setup → FTP/Metar download → Under the 5 Day forecast there is a tick box for “Use the forecast for the VP Forecast system”?

I think this is how I did it.

–Dave