Webcam issues - Generating the daily snapshots

Hi all,
adventure continues with getting the Webcam operating correctly. I am getting the webcam shot taken each 15 or so, and it is being uploaded okay. I’m having a problem with getting the daily snapsnots working (there’s a view button for them - mine shows none).
I have gone into Webcam Setup… Main Setttings… Setup/view… Capture settings…
Have started Preview
Clicked start now, and checked Keep Live
Clicked Save.
In the File Save Tab …
Webcam directory has been set, .Gif and .JPg names given
Button for Every 10 minutes is on.
Clicked save
In the Overlay tab …
Text is in there, and works, it’s displayed on the current webcam image on my server/ISP

I think this is all I’m required to do, but, evidently it isn’t. Can SKS tell me the missing step(s) so I can create the timestamp images that should show in the view images section… And also, what else is necc. to get the daily ‘movie’ to record /upload.

Thanks all, I’ll check in late 2nite after work

Ken

Ken, see the 2 attachments. If you click on the red circled button on attachment 1 do you see a screen like the 2nd attachment?

Dan,
no, that’s the crux of my problem right now, nothing gets ‘logged’ into there. I’ve reviewed all the appropriate setting - (obviuosly not! ) and just can’t seem to get it to go. Images are created, cos the webcamimage is always showing a recent time, but nothing ends up in this folder.

Ken

In the directory where you said to save the webcam images, do you have any filenames that look like - 1410gifwebcam.gif or 1410jpgwebcam.jpg

It’s important to check for both as I have had problems in the past getting jpg or gif selected correctly.

Dan, nope, nothing like that. I’m just saving them into the webfiles folder, not a spcial folder… Should I be using a spcial folder for them?

Ken

make sure you the switch on to do time stamped file saves
in the that tab in the web cam setup (first web cam setup)

Windy, it is on… curiouser and curiouser… I might just disable / back out all the settings, close down, restart and try again… I will get there…

Ken

Hi all,
okay, we’re still trying to generate the timestamped wecam images… and not succeeding very well.
I’m generating the sigle snapshot which is uploading to server as it should.
Under “webcam setup… Capture settings” I have the switch on, clicked start now and keep live, and clicked save settings.

Under “file save” I have set the diectory to \wdisplay\webfiles\ entered my image file names as webcamimage.gif (& jpg), clicked the radio button for a 30 minute capture, and clicked save (again)

Under “overlay”, I have entered my title/text info, and clicked save

What else must I do to get the camera images with the date/time stamps to generate and be in my folder (\wdisplay\webfiles) so I can view them with the view webcam images option?

Most frustrating to know what you want to do, to do what you think is (all that is) required, generate nothing and not know where to look next.

Thanks WD Guru’s

Ken

This is the only place I know of that controls that function.

Dan,
That’s my understanding also. I just set it back to ‘off’, saved, closed out, rebooted, turned it on, saved, rebooted, so we’ll see if it goes this time…

Ken

Did you look for a file called dailywebcam.gif in your WD directory? Just wondering…

BTW, your FWI is reading low…current conditions should be at least moderate for your area. We are about ready to go to high status around here.
http://www.fs.fed.us/land/wfas/wfas23.html is a good place to compare. These triple digit temps are causing it to rise rapidly.

Nope… nada. Tomorrow (1/2 day off) I’ll make a new folder and go thru the complete setup again using this folder…

Ken

• Fire index - interesting, we’re dry, but quit humid because of the fog… oops… I mean the marine layer influence…

do you have time stamped web cam image files being produced?
in the first tab setup screen, do you have the web cam image there?
also, in the daily web cam images, there is an option to display jpg or gif
to show jpg, you need to have enabled to produce jpg time stamped images as well

Hi windy, okay to answer your questions.
1 - No, no timestamped files are being produced.
2 - Yes, in the first tab screen, i do have the image present, with the overlay attached as I want it, but I had to select “show weather stamped 3rd party file above”. It seems to be static, and about 10 minutes behind the schedule I set to capture.
When I click the setup button, i also get the display, almost realtime update, like it’s the direct feed view.

3 - in reverse order, yes, i have set jpg file name (in the file save tab), the first part “option to display jpg or gif” I can’t seem to find this one in daily web cam images? - I do have the webcamimage in my folder as both .gif and .jpg, but no timestamped images are there, or found anywhere in the system

Most interesting is this; From your input, Dan’s and others, everything superficially seems to be set right, but nada.

Now, this morning I fell back to 10.25Q, hoping that would make a difference… So far, nope. I’m running win2K, and WD is set to start as a service under Win2K – is this okay?

Ken

Here is my first screen when I enter the webcam setup from → Setup → Control Panel → Webcam setup, view .
Does yours look like this when you first bring up the page?

Figure it might be easier to just step thru the screens…

If that looks ok then click here…

You should then see this screen…

Let me know if your screens appear similar…

I think you have your webcam working, but I wanted to make sure you don’t have anything weird ticked on the previous screens, and that your webcam image is present.

Click on the “file save” tab and you should see this screen, and, have similar settings, ie. directory, filename, and both buttons green.

Dan,
Thanks for the postings… Differences for me were
1 - Camera ‘name’, mine was generic,
2 - Frame rate, mine was 1, yours 5, changed mine (you never know)
3 - Video size different, I’ve taken default
4 - maybe a biggie? – I had Keep Live checked, you didn’t. Unchecked mine, will watch this morning…

Thanks for the postings, appreciate the help and support

Ken
(fog - oops Marine layer influence - bound in South San Francisco!

you know, I just noticed another difference. On the first screen you have your web cam image displayed. Below it are 3 check boxes.
I can only get my image to show there by checking the “show weather stamped 3rd party file above”

Wondering now if my webcam is properly integrated into the package, at it only displays as when 3rd party is active. Will check some more today

Ken