WD (10.26n) Working ? (was 1027c / 1027b / FTPUPD Crashing)

Hello All,

After a few months of lurking and research I’ve just started on the adventure !

I’m running a Hyundai WS-05 (wired) and WD Version 10.27
on a HP Vecta VL/Win 98 SE machine (clean instal, notjing else running)
This is sat on my network (wired) and connecting to DSL via a Netgear DG824.

All fine so far, WD installs fine, the WS-05 communicates 100% and within 20 minutes I have a (very basic) webpage uploading every ten minutes - very happy Richard…

However, every 10 hours and 20 minutes the system crashes with the message.

“ftpupd caused an exception eedfadeh in module ”

A reboot solves the problem, every time, first time. The ftp log shows the last sucessful upload and no more and the program error log is empty.

The system is back up and running at,

www.rjhardy.dsl.pipex.com

Any ideas on where I should start looking ?

Cheers,

Richard…

hi
is it a certain time that its doing it (of the day)?
also, download 10.27b, as i am trying to fix a memory leak in weatherd.exe, which might be the cause of the problems…humm

Hi,

Thanks for the rapid reply, it’s not happening at a certain time of day, it’s happening after running for a certain time (to within minutes judging by the frozen clock on WD.

It’s just faultlessly updated to V10.27b (very neat to just install over the top of the old version and still keep all of the settings) so will leave it running overnight and see how it goes.

Cheers,

Richard…

Morning all,

OK, it happened again this morning, the same error messages in FTPUPD and a frozen program after just over 10 hours and with 12088 in the Data Received box.

I’m going to run today with the internet “switch” off, and see how that goes.

Any ideas greatfully accepted.

Cheers,

Richard…

Hello,

Just back home to find that turning off the internet uploading didn’t make any difference :frowning:

The program (10.27b) froze after just under an hour, leaving a windows blue screen when I tried to close wd tonight, nothing in the program error log.

Any help gratefully received,

Cheers,

Richard…

I don’t know if it applies to your situation, but 10.27c works better for me (up till now … and knock on wood :wink:) than any previous version before*.

As for the Programme Error Log. Do you use the View-menu, or are you looking at the programerrorlog.txt (or something like that) in the C:\Program Files\WDisplay-directory? The Program Error Log under ‘View’ was in my case empty, but when I looked in the programme directory of WeatherDisplay I found an up to date log-file. Don’t know if that was an error in a particular version, but …

What I do (at the moment) is update WD regularly (I keep my eye on all reported bugs) and keep all old versions (n their original ZIP or EXE) in another directory, so I can always fallback.

• I think it all went wrong when I asked Brian to implement the transparant GIF-functionality in the CustomScreens. Up to that version all was ok …

good 10.27c is better chow
yeah, i think i finaly am ironing out the introduced problems after adding transparent gif option
(you can look at code and think its ok…)

Hello All,

OK, 10.27c is up and running.

Cheers,

Richard…

10.27c is running for 13 hours here. Still more than 243MB left … and I’m really stressing the system graphicswise (mesomaps, CustomScreens … some still transparant, some upating every 5 minutes, Gizmo’s, etc). Not using much ftp, though (only to pull information from a couple of servers).

Looking good!

(Off to the office now, and quite confident it will be still running when I come home … hope I won’t have to regret my big mouth now :wink:)

Morning,

10.27c has just crashed, at 10 hours exactly, the hourglass came up and everything froze. ctrl/alt/del brought up the task manager after a minute of so. It feels like the cpu usage increased, but I can’t be sure.

Off to the office, not going to play any more today,

Cheers,

Richard…

P.S. nothing in the error log.

Hmmm, so you’re not experiencing the same problem.

Did you do a clean install, or did you copy the .EXE from the .ZIP? Don’t really think that your ftp.exe (I know, not it’s real name … I’m not at home right now, so can’t see what it’s real name is).

Are you sure you have no other programme running on your system which starts after 10 hours activity? (I know, you describe your system in your first post …). I’ven’t been using Win98 for a long time now … is there an option to list all running programmes/processes? If so, can you post them?

I’m not sure where to look at the moment, but we can always try … this situation must be very, very frustrating for you!

BTW: after running 26 hours my 10.27c-system is down to 96MB (one moment 46, than 96 … so it has dropped considerably). When I come home, I will restart WD. Can’t have it bomb out the next week, or so …

Hi Chow,

Thanks for your help. I relented and downgraded to 10.26n, which was the oldest version I could find !

It’s been up for well over 10 hours now and is showing over 13,600 received packets from the weather station, I’ve never seen more than 12,300 before a crash up til now.

I’m not at home at the moment so can’t see anything apart form the webpage updating every 10 minutes, but it is still working. I’m holding my breath, but we do appear to be making progress.

Best regards,

Richard…

Ok, glad to hear it’s working at the moment.

A pitty you have to downgrade, but I guess a working “old” version is always better than a new version not working, I guess.

BTW: I can go back to 10.24c (full version). I don’t know if it’s allowed, but I can put all versions I’ve downloaded (and used) on my ftp-server (Brian)? I don’t download every version, however …

P.S.: Down to 40MB. It’s getting time to restart WD :frowning:

Chow,

Brian hasn’t yelled at me for:
http://actionstep.com/WD-Past/

Yet anyway LOL

Versions back to 10.23o are available. I also don’t download every version nor upload all I have so if someone is looking for one that isn’t there holler and if I have it I will gladly upload it :slight_smile:

-Bob

Hello Bob and Chow,

Thanks for that information, keeping an old “stable” version is a good plan.

I found the 10.26n on my laptop, it was the first copy thay I downloaded when I found the WD site. I though that regressing to a xx.26x from a xx.27x version might be a significant change.

Anyway, still holding breath,

Thanks for your help chaps,

Richard…

I like the name of the directory :wink:

I guess I put “my” versions on my ftp-server. As we both have the same modus operandus, we’re bound to complement each other :wink:

Server: ftp.khoe.nl
Userbame: weerdata
Password: weerdata
Directory: weatherdisplay-archive

This info can change. If it does, the login information can be obtained via my website (choose ‘diensten’ and look for the ftp-info … it’s only in Dutch at the moment, but I think you can figure it out … otherwise, mail me).

Hello All,

10.26n is still running after nearly 15 hours, so I’ll carry on and see how it goes without any disturbance.

Interestingly the CPU usage in “help” / " about" is showing around 32% during normal running (rises up to 100% for a couple of seconds during ftp), in any of the xx.27x versions it was well over 40% at any time.

Is there a significant difference between the xx.26x and xx.27x versions ?

And one final question, now that I’m heading towards a stable system do most of you experts have an auto reboot every 24 hours ? or just leave the pc running ?

Many thanks again,

Richard…

Brian believes he may have introduced a memory issue after 10.26m however as you are running 10.26n maybe it was later :dontknow:

I try never to reboot my machines… LOL Actually I am running 10.27c now and prior was running 10.27 proper which ran for over 4 days straight without any issues (only reason i upgraded was cause my machine froze up due to a lightning or electrical interference issue)

-Bob

Thanks Bob,

I might try an earlier version then ! 10.26n is still going strong although the free memory shown in “help” / “about” is decreasing by approx 2MB an hour, is this anything to worry about ?

Anyway a serious improvement in the last 24 hours, software with this level of support, both from the vendor and other users, is where I want to be.

I’ll have to think about making the webpages look nicer soon !

Regards to all,

Richard…