cloudy

Author Topic: Weather sayings and old wives tales  (Read 182189 times)

Offline tewin777

• BRI THE IT GUY and Bela Lugosi My Chiwieney!
  • Long Lake, Minne-So-Cold (Minnesota)
Re: Weather sayings and old wives tales
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008, 12:42:17 AM »
When the night has a fever, it cries in the morning.
if the temp increase between 10pm and midnight i beleive it will rain in the morning.
Geeky by Profession, but Nerdy by Nature.

Offline oldun

• Rob.
  • S36° 50' 20" E174° 37' 32"
    • robertjohnhall111
    • West Auckland Weather
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2008, 09:31:07 PM »
not a weather saying but more an obsevation that I know to be true! on our canal system if the water begins to smell dank or fetid its going to rain within six hours, when  told this by an old timer many years ago i was a little sceptical but sure as eggs are eggs it works every time!                                                     krac2 :)
I wonder! if a turn to the worse is preceded by a atmospheric pressure drop which lowers the pressure above the surface of the canal/s allows the escape of gas from the bottom layer of the canal, hence the the fetid smell!!
WD running on Net Book, 1 GB of ram, Windows 7 O.S. , La Fine Offset? WS 1081 Weather Station, Internet connection. VDSL.
 [WD ver. 10.37R build 79.

Offline sunnyrain

• I ♥ weather, and I always will!
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2008, 11:15:21 PM »
I agree.
Sometimes with all this high-tec stuff, things can get messed up.
No one uses wives tales anymore.
All of mine are already posted, like the cricket one and stuff.
I ♥ weather.
And I always will.

Offline astreas

• Davis VP2 wireless
  • Middle of Norway
    • Møllebakken værside
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2008, 04:37:09 PM »
But, here is another from my country:
when the rowantree has a lot of berries in the autumn there will be not much snow the following winter - and the opposite way, very much snow after an autumn with no rowanberries! Belive it or not, it seem to be truth..

The winter are now almost at his end and in some areas around my village there has been up to 2.50 meter with
snow......and this autumn it was no rowanberry!

IT Farmer

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2008, 02:19:51 AM »
What about the pains in the joints like knees, and thumbs. My mother in law swears by it.

Re the cows, it is not working they lay down when they lay down I guess. Often you see them laying down to re-consume their grass. The do tend to face their back ends into the wind (same as horses and other animals). I have a few cows, so I might set-up a cow cam so you can see for yourself.

Re-swallows.
It is about hunting, flies are subject to updraft of hot air, hence they are higher and it is warmer (I think).

Gees flying north means that it is getting warmer (northern hem) and flying south it means it getting colder.

I believe the Irish have some way of weather prediction using a piece of string on a board. It tends to be very accurate. For example when it is wet it is raining, when it s horizontal it is storming and when it is gone well........Katrina came through.

H

Offline JaxWeather

• Bob
  • Global Moderator
  • VP 2 w/FARS - WML Station: WD00007
  • Jacksonville, Fl. USA
    • JaxWeather.net
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2008, 02:59:22 AM »
Often you see them laying down to re-consume their grass. The do tend to face their back ends into the wind (same as horses and other animals). I have a few cows, so I might set-up a cow cam so you can see for yourself.

Ummm please don't go to the trouble for me  #-o

LOL

-Bob

Offline TokKiwi

• Techno Dad
  • Mech Engineer and Hobbyist
  • Tokoroa, Sth Waikato, New Zealand
    • Tokoroa North Weather
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2008, 03:48:07 AM »
hmmm, the neighbor's cattle have moved, but his and my sheep - they lie down to chew their cud - and that's not tobacco! I could lower the cam and increase the zoom...  I'll take a pic one day, but by then I would have forgotten...  #-o :D
Dad's have hobbies because they are children's rugby, football and Committee Fathers!!

Offline N7XSQ

• Phoenix, Arizona
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2008, 04:34:44 AM »
I read somewhere that cows tend to put their tail ends into the wind because predators often approach from downwind so their prey doesn't catch their scent, and this orientation gives the cows a better chance of spotting something coming. It also makes them big weather vanes.
Hmmm, a backwards facing cow for a weather vane design?

Steve

Offline TokKiwi

• Techno Dad
  • Mech Engineer and Hobbyist
  • Tokoroa, Sth Waikato, New Zealand
    • Tokoroa North Weather
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2008, 07:54:48 AM »
Just thinking logically here, I think that the animals have sensitive noses and the direct blast of the wind into their various senses - eyes, nostrils, ears - would nullify their functioning and annoy them  (sorry ex farner's son thinking here...)  Your explanation also makes sense too.

Graeme
Dad's have hobbies because they are children's rugby, football and Committee Fathers!!

Offline weatherbud

• CA
    • Local Weather Forecast
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2008, 07:18:39 AM »
in our small town, my grandmother always predicts a rain coming when the insects most specially cockroaches goes out the drainage or sometimes in the kitchen cabinet... and it seems like these insects have this strong senses about the weather... :)
Rob Guarino's Meteorologist Blog
Your Local Weather Forecast
-------------------------------
"Snowflakes are kisses from heav