Why no 1-wire?

Greetings all,

As I have indicated elsewhere, I would purchase WDLinux if 1 wire was supported.

Is 1-wire not supported because there are other means of accessing and integrating 1-wire devices into WD? If so please tell me how. Is it ‘coming soon’, not a priority (relative to other WD issues), or …? I am not asking for a date certian, I am simply wanting to figure out which way to go when adding humidity (ala Humichron which is now released) and additional temperature sensors.

I think the program is great and seems well supported by the authors and community. If only WD it didn’t require such a costly OS to use! The OS is expensive, the endless costs due to vulnerabilities, the demands it puts on hardware… Sorry I got sidetracked there.

I may yet buy WDLinux but would rather do it with some hope that 1wire will come (and the ability to run as daemon).

Have a great day,

Peter

hi
the problem is i have programed it in Kylix, which is Delphi for linux, and is pascall based. The only linux 1 wire stuff out there is C++, and to try to port it in an not very familiar environment is beyond my telants at the moment. I have contacted numerous people for help, but none has been forthcoming, including people at Dallas themselves. now, there is a good 1 wire weather program for linux out there, called OWW , and if you could get the author of that softare, Simon, to produce a text file, with the latest data in it, then all i have to do is get wd for linux to read that file and update itself

Thanks Brian,

I went to the OWW site on Source Forge and after a bit of stumbling about found this:

Oww can record your weather measurements to comma-separated-value (CSV) log files, which you can later use in spreadsheets, for example. Fig. 6 shows the wind speed (raspberry) and ambient temperature (dark blue) on a day in early December. You can log data to a single file or to a fresh file each day. In this mode !Oww will create a directory for the current month, into which it will write a file for the current day, changing to a new one at midnight.

Is this not what is needed? It looks like this has been part of the program for quite some time. Is there a problem with the frequency of updates to the file or that the file is locked - can’t be read by another pgm in a timely manner?

Also, I see that there is a NOGUI version, which satisfies another of my other concerns, but this may or may not be a true daemon. My knowledge is that shallow.

Again, thanks for your reply, and thank you for your efforts in getting WD into the Linux universe.

Regards,

Peter

ok, good, i did not know it already does that
so if you can get it going and get that file going, then email me a copy of that file, then i can get wd to read it,…and updates its data, and update the data needed for WDL too (which does run under linux, as its flash based, in the browser)
note that WD does need x windows running

Some of us are waiting for a update. I not running Linux full time due to my customers want the solar hours snd percent for their solar systems. So back to the windows verison till Brian has time to work on the Linux Version :smiley: :smiley:
Coyote

Ok Brian,

I am very new to Linux and need to get some other issues ironed out before I take on the 1 wire stuff. If I do find time to get to the 1 wire stuff, I will only be using it for temp and humidity as plans are at the moment.

Yes I am aware of the requirement to have X running and am not real excited about the extra resource load etc. . I need to be clear about other issues that may arise related to X on the server also (such as unattended startup) also.

Peter

Bump…

Brian did you ever get a csv file as I use OWW I can supply this if required…this would also be a great way round the com port problem temporarily and an instant 1-wire fix under linux

I can get back to using WD… :smiley:

Steve

ok, zip and fire one at me

Brian

CSV sent via email

Regards
Steve

Brian

I found this entry in the wdisplay.ini is it usable? or just an entry left over from a previous life…??

[OWW]
do it=no
server=
port=0

EDIT: If I set this up for my server ip and port 8891 I get the temp but no other readings…so kinds works

Steve

Hi Bian

Been fiddling with OWW and found that I can produce a txt or XML file with data which updates the one line every 5 seconds (or any other time).

This is a basic line of data that can be expanded to add more data and in any order.

02/06/07 , 18:16:12 , 25.06, 41.17, 10.96, 1022.52, 1.34, 1.34, 315.0, 0.00

which is parsed data from

logform $localtime%d/%m/%y , %H:%M:%S$ , $trhc1%3.2$, $rh1%3.2$, $dp1%3.2$, $bar1%4.2$, $wsp%3.2$, $wspmax%3.2$, $wdrdeg%3.1$, $rain%3.2$

Maybe easier than trying to get the data from the csv file.

The options for data output are here http://oww.sourceforge.net/parser.html

Playing around with the client/server update from internet which gives me the green flashing light that data is being received from /home/stumpey/test.txt just not obviously in the right order for WD to understand. So more fiddling required.

Regards
Steve

Brian,

This may be of some interest to you, or not. Some linux people I know referred me to this site

http://owfs.sourceforge.net/index.html

I claim to know little on the subject.

Regards,

Ed

Yep…have played with owfs also but came back to OWW due to the nicer GUI for use on the Pc and the client with which I can access my live data whilst at work…sad I know…

Steve

i need to find time to work on this csv file…
can you email a sample to me again stumpy?
(as i lost all my emails)

Hi Brian

Mail resent as requested

Steve

Hi

Brian has done a great job and WD now works with 1-wire using OWW to supply the information, this gets round the current comport problem crashing your server and no current 1-wire direct setup in Linux.

How To :

Oww can be sourced from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=86628 download Oww and install on your Linux box.

Download the latest version of WeatherD and decompress into your wdisplay folder replacing (or change its name to be safe) the last WeatherD in your folder.

In your home folder open the .oww_setup file ( its a hidden file so tick show hidden files ) and amend the following entries as shown in #Format strings …logform

Format strings

displaydate %d/%m/%y %H:%M:%S
logfilef /%y%m/%y%m%d.csv
logdirf /%y%m
logform $trhc1%3.2$ , $rh1%3.2$ , $dp1%3.2$ , $bar1%4.2$ , $wsp%3.2$ , $wdrdeg%3.2$ , $rain%3.2$
logheadf
raintform Rain: %%s since %H:%M
raindform Rain: %%s since %d/%m/%y
lcdform

This is a copy of my set up but basically its TEMP, HUMIDITY, DEWPOINT, BAROMETER, WIND SPEED, WIND DEGREES, RAIN this supplies the data for the log file

Then go to the bottom of the file and enter the following in the # Log setup, this gives the log a name, mine is test.txt, test.txt is the file that supplies the data to WD.

Log setup

loginterval 5
logsnap 0
logtype 1
logfile_name logfile.csv
logdir_name logdir
logvar /home/stumpey/test.txt
font

Set logging in Oww to every second or in my case every 5 seconds.

Back to WD

Start WD then >setup >control panel>weather station type>stationless…in stationless you will see OWW custom file click Select input file and find your log file created by Oww in my case test.txt, tick the OWW box and Close. Remember to untick the stationless button

You should now see data flowing into WD from the file .

If you need help just PM or email me

Have fun

Steve