cloudy cloudy

Author Topic: Support this site by buying from Amazon  (Read 29691 times)

Offline administrator

• Administrator
  • Get answers to your questions - use Forum SEARCH!
  • Blackpool, UK
    • Weather-Watch.com
Support this site by buying from Amazon
« on: December 24, 2004, 11:16:55 PM »
For more details, please see...http://www.weather-watch.com/smf/index.php/topic,6782.0.html
Chris
Weather Forum Administrator

Offline administrator

• Administrator
  • Blackpool, UK
    • Weather-Watch.com
Re: Support this site by buying from Amazon
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2005, 09:55:25 PM »
Yippee...I've got my first referral fee :D :D Thank you to anyone who has ordered anything.

I'm waiting for some more orders to ship though...11 items have been ordered but only one has shipped so far. I assume stocks must be low after the Xmas rush, or perhaps the items were only ordered today?
Chris

Offline niko

• syzygy
  • Global Moderator
  • Crystal Ball broken! Please post the URL.
  • Northern California, U.S.A.
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2005, 10:28:58 PM »
That's good to hear  :) I've been refraining from commenting on your unfortunate timing by missing the xmas season. May be a while before the volume picks up again...

Offline administrator

• Administrator
  • Blackpool, UK
    • Weather-Watch.com
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2005, 10:35:52 PM »
There's always next Xmas...and birthdays...and Easter presents...and Groundhog Day presents...and...and...and... :wink:
Chris

Offline TNETWeather

• Kevin Reed (KrelvinAZ)
  • Gremlins are at work...
  • Mesa, AZ
    • TNET Weather Station - Mesa AZ
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005, 04:14:40 AM »
GROUND HOG DAY!    My favorite movie...   (  or at least the movie I've seen the most times )

Actually, I was going to order my new MotorHome on Amazon and use your referral...

... but I've decided to hold off for a couple more years.

My wife is convinced we need a pool next... and I have not yet talked her out of it yet.

They don't sell pools on Amazon, at least not the in ground type.

All you need is Time, Aptitude and Desire ... and you can build just about anything...

Offline niko

• syzygy
  • Global Moderator
  • Crystal Ball broken! Please post the URL.
  • Northern California, U.S.A.
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2005, 04:11:29 PM »
I finally found something to order, but don't quit your day job yet  :lol:  Does it pay anything on orders to "marketplace" sellers?

Offline administrator

• Administrator
  • Blackpool, UK
    • Weather-Watch.com
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2005, 08:33:10 PM »
Thanks for your order. I don't think my employer is getting worried about me leaving. If sales continue at the current rate, I may be able to cover a few percent of my server costs each month!

If I've read the runes correctly I believe I do get commission for Marketplace sales as well as normal sales direct from Amazon.
Chris

Offline jayman228

• Portales, NM
    • Portales, NM Weather
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 03:47:05 AM »
I bought my weather station from Amazon and didn't even KNOW about this forum/software until I bought it. I wish i can go back and acknowledge you so you can get credit.

I plan on buying some DVD's on Amazon sometime as they are pretty cheap compaired to retail...If i do ill try to keep you (this message board) in mind! :-)

-Jason
-Jason
Portales, NM Weather
http://www.portalesweather.net

Offline aardvark

• Des Moines, Iowa
  • Des Moines, Iowa, USA
    • Des Moines, Iowa Weather and Climate
security issue
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005, 03:39:03 AM »
I received the below email today

At the last reviewing at your amazon account we discovered that your information is inaccurate. We apologize for this but because most frauds are possible because we don't have enough information about our clients, we require this verification. Please login and reenter your personal information.

Please follow this link to update your personal information:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/sign-in.html

(To complete the verification process you must fill in all the required fields)

Please note: If you don't update your information within next 48 hours , we will be forced to suspend your account untill you have the time to contact us by phone.
We apreciate your support and understanding, as we work together to keep amazon market a safe place to trade. Thank you for your attention on this serious matter and we apologize.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message was generated automatically, please do not reply to it. Amazon treats your personal information with the utmost care, and our Privacy Policy is designed to protect you and your information.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I smelled a big wet rat.. so I contacted Amazon and below is their response.  Be careful someone probably figured that we use this board and probably have an account....
hank you for writing to us.

The e-mail you received was not from Amazon.com.  We are investigating the situation, and we appreciate you letting us know that you received this.

If you did not click on the link in the spoofed e-mail, your account at Amazon.com is fine--there's nothing more you need to do. (Even if you did click on the link and go to the forged web page, but didn't enter anything, the phishers will not have your account information.)

For your protection, we suggest that you never respond to requests for personal information that may be contained in suspicious e-mail. It is best to assume any e-mail that asks for personal financial information (or web site linked to from such an e-mail) is not authentic.

If you have any questions about your Amazon.com account, you can view recent activity or update your password at any time. To do this go to our home page then click "Your Account" on the top right menu. To change your password, choose the option "Change your name, e-mail address, or password" under Account Settings. You can check the status on any order by choosing to view "Open and recently shipped orders" under "Where's My Stuff" at the top of the page.

If you encounter any other uses of the Amazon.com name that you think may be fraudulent, please do not hesitate to contact us again. The Internet is a large and fairly unregulated universe; it is only through our constant vigilance and with the help of people like yourself that we can ensure that our name is not misappropriated for illegitimate uses.

Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2); Soil Moisture/Temp Station;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Sierra; Bloomsky Sky2 ; https://map.bloomsky.com/weather-stations/faBiuZWsnpW6n6il;
http://www.desmoinesweather.org

Offline JaxWeather

• Bob
  • Global Moderator
  • VP 2 w/FARS - WML Station: WD00007
  • Jacksonville, Fl. USA
    • JaxWeather.net
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 04:20:21 AM »
Phishing scams of this nature are rampant on the Net now a days...

Generally if you look at the real link, not the link as it is shown you will see that it is not an Amazon link at all.

Usually it is an IP address in place of the domain name or a domain name similar but not matching that of the actual site.

It is simply a matter of coding.  If using T-bird as a email client when you mouse over the link the actual link is shown in the bottom left of your email pane.  If your email reader doesn't show the link as you mouse over it then check the raw source of the email and see if it isn't a link code to another site.

-Bob

Offline TNETWeather

• Kevin Reed (KrelvinAZ)
  • Gremlins are at work...
  • Mesa, AZ
    • TNET Weather Station - Mesa AZ
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2005, 06:30:19 AM »
You can also look at the mail headers for a dead give away.

From a Paypal phishing message:

Note that paypal is not going to send email to you from another domain like powweb.com ?? Anything with a web address that contains WWW is suspect.  My guess is that a user on powweb.com has an exploited mailform script.

Return-Path: <lafamigliasn@clust08-www04.powweb.com>
Received: from fed1rmgxi03.cox.net ([66.152.98.84]) by fed1rmmtai08.cox.net
          (InterMail vM.6.01.05.02 201-2131-123-102-20050715) with ESMTP
          id <20051005142515.QTRC10873.fed1rmmtai08.cox.net@fed1rmgxi03.cox.net>
          for <censored@cox.net>; Wed, 5 Oct 2005 10:25:15 -0400
Received: from clust08-www04.powweb.com ([66.152.98.84])
          by fed1rmgxi03.cox.net
          (InterMail vG.1.00.00.00 201-2136-104-20040331) with ESMTP
          id <20051005142517.XGIX13204.fed1rmgxi03.cox.net@clust08-www04.powweb.com>
          for <censored@cox.net>; Wed, 5 Oct 2005 10:25:17 -0400
Received: by clust08-www04.powweb.com (Postfix, from userid 158304)
   id B6833D304D; Wed,  5 Oct 2005 07:24:04 -0700 (PDT)
To: censored@cox.net
Subject: PayPal Security Notice ID #PP-41270 - Identity Confirmation Request
Content-Type: text/html
Message-Id: <20051005142404.B6833D304D@clust08-www04.powweb.com>
Date: Wed,  5 Oct 2005 07:24:04 -0700 (PDT)

All you need is Time, Aptitude and Desire ... and you can build just about anything...

Offline administrator

• Administrator
  • Blackpool, UK
    • Weather-Watch.com
Re: security issue
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2005, 06:32:24 AM »
I smelled a big wet rat.. so I contacted Amazon and below is their response.  Be careful someone probably figured that we use this board and probably have an account....

More than likely someone just picked your address out of a 25 brazillion email accounts for $0.02 database and sent you the message. I get messages phishing for info from Amazon and various other places, but none yet to the address I use on the forum, so I don't think anyone has harvested the forum info. To be honest it's probably more effort than is worth it. They'd need to find the forum and then try to find email addresses in it (which isn't that easy), so it's probably a relatively manual process. The phishers aren't interested in hard work (unless the gains are huge), so they're more likely to do a spam blast using pre-prepared address lists than to try to generate their own lists.
Chris

Offline weather_nc

• Raleigh, NC
    • Fuquay Weather
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2005, 03:05:54 PM »
The other giveaway is when you hold your mouse over the link in the email, the URL at the bottom (of Thunderbird at least) shows 'http://<some_IP_Address>/..........' - a major clue....

Offline MGCJerry

• Ohio
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2007, 04:31:34 PM »
Heres the best way to identify phishing emails...

If they dont call you by your real name in the mail, delete it.

If your email client supports it. Setup a filter where if certain text is missing from a specific sender, it deletes it. For example, with thunderbird, I have a filter setup where if I "supposdly" receive an email from ebay, paypal, etc. and it doesnt contain my real name, it gets deleted. No more phishing emails ever since. ;)

Also, never click a link in an email. Go to the site via favorites, or type in the site yourself and login/update that way.

Offline Yves

• Valfleury France
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2007, 07:56:02 AM »
Is there  any way I can buy from amazon.fr and you'll get a referral fees from the Frenchies  :wink: ?
Yves