Weather Display defaulted to orignal screen

Went out tonight and came back to find the power had tripped off. Computer protected by anti surge and battery backup but would still have gone off after around 20 minutes.
Normally restart and Weather Display starts up on Task Scheduler, but I got the original default black screen setup and no data, only that it was version 81 (old I know but it works) and that it was registered. A check of the WDISPLAY.ini file shows most of the data blank, and only about 110 lines instead of 3400 from this mornings backup.
Do I just replace the backup display .ini file or are there other files to replace?
Never had this happen before and any reason that this should have happened.
Thanks.

hopefully you had WD set to do auto backups of the settings files
(this is on by default in later versions)
and so you will then have a back up of the wdisplay.ini file in the databackup folder
or you might have a wdisplaybackup.ini file

Hi Brian, Yes I have a few years of backups and have wdislay.ini file. Is this the only file that needs replacing? I haven’t checked anything else yet as midnight was not the time to be sorting it out.
Thanks

I have restored the WDISPLAY.ini file and everything is up and running again, but the but and it is always a big but, the rainfall has started from zero again.
I always get so confuse on which to do convert log files to data files or the other way. But the log file is incorrect and then I can’t find a graph file for yesterday.
Please what are the steps I need to do to get the rainfall totals back including adding in yesterdays rain.
I have read loads of stuff on the forum but still not sure what to do sorry.

you should be able to download the missing data from the data logger on the console then edit the log file and then create graph

if you had the auto back on, then a back up of the last data files (i.e last31daysdata.inf) would be there
you had set the rain totals, from the last totals in the logfile, via control panel, offsets and initial rain

you should be able to download the missing data from the data logger on the console then edit the log file and then create graph

The data is there except that rainfall totals in the datalogger had reverted to zero, so while I can add them in manually to correct the data on the WD screen it doesn’t correct the data in the logfile.

Can I download the data again but save to a different named logfile and repair it that way?

The power cut was around 7pm last night, I think, and I didn’t restore the backup ini until this morning and then downloaded the data then.

I will check for the last31daysdata.inf file as I am on a different PC. Auto back ups are at 8am but the PC wasn’t on then.

Thanks for time and help guys, much appreciated.

once you correct the main screen rain totals then the next entry in the logfile will have the correct rain totals

[quoteonce you correct the main screen rain totals then the next entry in the logfile will have the correct rain totals]
[/quote]
Yes, I saw that. But it is the bit in between that is the problem as it goes across midnight. and my monthly Climatological summary for November is empty.

if you have a back up of the WD logfile
then you can convert that to data file

the logfile should have been OK after the power cut

you can use your wunderground data and import that to recreate the data (as has already been mentioned, but you would need to be a more recent version of WD)

(which version/build?)

Version 10.37R Build 81
The backup was done 8am 24th November but the power cut was 7pm 24th November and as at 11pm the electricity men were still working nearby, and lights were still out in places, I didn’t restore the ini file and restart until the next morning. The chance of another outage was quite high.
The rain was recorded but as shown below wasn’t added to what was on the logfile previously. After manually putting the values in, the logfile now has the correct values. It is the repair of that part of the logfile I need to make as the NOAA reports won’t create.

I think I have fixed it. Manually added corrected data for 20 mins either side of midnight. Restarted WD and converted logfile to datafile and the last 31 days. This populated the NOAA reports again and I updated the Averages/Extremes and all looks as it should. Just ready for more rain, which hopefully won’t knock the electricity out again.

While I was doing all this, my graph on the WD screen briefly flatlined. It cleared after I restarted WD, just a glitch or something else? I have just replaced the ISS battery and it took a few hours to run 100% reception again, so was worried that was the issue but seems OK. Does WD keep a record of the VP reception?

Thans Brian.