Possible bug in ver 10.37S58

WD would stop updating and hang for hours until I forced it to close.
Initially suspected the serial interface (Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge) which I updated to the latest driver 6.7.4.261.
Power mgmt is disabled.
It was still hanging so I reverted WD back to 10.37S57 which seems to have solved my problem.

• WD version v10.37S58
  • Davis VP2 wireless
  • Win10Pro, i7-4820K CPU @ 3.7G w 16G RAM and 240G SSD

Thanks, Ed L.

there seems to be a few people reporting a problem with build 58 to do with the com port communication with the davis station
I am running the latest version but I do not see any problems

try this version though and see if its better
http://www.weather-display.com/downloadfiles/weatherdisplaytest.zip

Well Brian, it looks like the problem that I have too, or at least a similar one!

I tested the zip file, but it stopped after 32 packets in a row! The data quality remains green, the data received flashes green, but no packet count!

I don’t know what else to try! :frowning:

Thanos

I am using 10.37Sb58 dated 20th October with a Davis VP2 and a native RS232 serial port, not seen any issues if that helps to understand the bigger picture.

@FPGAgeek,can you test this test version?

Just tried the test version and I had a very similar experience as atsio reported; the data quality remains green, the data received flashes green, but no packet count and no readings. Reverted back to a previous version and worked as expected.

Prior to running the test version I checked comms with my VP2 and it was idle but responding as expected. Checked immediately after closing the WD test version and the VP2 was transmitting LOOP packets also as expected.

what about build 59
can you test that?
also do you happen to have a serial data logger?

@ atsio
do you have a serial data logger
that connects to a desktop pc direct?

Yes Brian, it’s a Davis serial datalogger, connected directly to a dedicated pc, running Win7-32bit.

I have two dataloggers and consoles, one old working since 2005 and a new one bought a month ago together with a new VP2 plus to replace the old one.

The old console has 1.90 version firmware and the new one, version 3.63, which has not been released to the public yet.

Both sets was working fine until two days ago when the problem appeared! They have the same behavior.

Thanos

what I will do is add in more debug code to see what is happening
stand by

try this update
http://www.weather-display.com/downloadfiles/weatherdisplaytest.zip

there is more debug info of the raw data
but also the problem seemed to coincide with when I added the com port component used to the latest compiler version
and so I have tried to back track/go back to back up, for that

This test version looks to be working on my setup.

The Program Debug Info window has the following info reported:
All data downloaded or did not sync correct! formating the VP data vp data read in 3 VP data Date:= 25/10/2017 VP data Time:= 9:49 Rain in davis VP download :0.0 Rain in davis VP download added :0.0 Doing checking of time zone calculation Daylight saving in use VP data Date:= 25/10/2017 VP data Time:= 9:50 Rain in davis VP download :0.0 Rain in davis VP download added :0.0 Adding wunderground data to the missed data file 9:50 Wunder ground missed data update daylight saving in use, hour adjust =-1 zone 0 missed wunderground hour normal 9 missed wunderground hour from logger 9 missed wunderground hour difference -1 missed wunderground new hour /day/normalday 8 25 25 missed wunderground new time 10/25/2017 09:50:00 Weather station type number 31 LOO<

it looks like then it was the com port component got messed up with another version installation of the compiler
but it only affected serial and not usb to serial

I have updated the normal download now

I will install the x59 version and will let you know if the problem pops back up. Thanks!

WD v10.27S59 is looking good so far for me.

it looks like, from his web data, its working for atsio, but have not heard back

Sorry Brian for the delay, It was a long day at work today!

Two hours ago, I installed the latest update, but it didn’t work well during the first WD run! I shut it down, and initialised it again after 20 minutes.

Surprise! It’s working well, reading all the packets from the virtual com port, without any delays. I left it running for a while and, it has already counted 10000 packets in a row!

The point is that, if I’ll stop WD or reboot the pc and start it again, will it run without any problems? I’ll let it run for a while and then reboot the pc! I’ll let you know how it goes!

Anyway, Brian I’d like to thank you for the support so far!

More news from me in a couple of hours!

Thanos

was that the normal latest update?

It’s the normal update (build59). I downloaded the update this afternoon after I read your post for the fix, but I updated WD and run the test this evening after work!

Is there any difference now, between normal update and zip file?

Thanos

I was just not sure if you had used the special test .zip , that was all