Problem reading data packets!

since an older version of WD has same problem that points to some sort of driver issue /hardware issue
have you tried a reboot of the pc?

Yes Brian, I did with no luck! A few minutes ago, I did a fresh installation of WD, but I has the same problem!

I haven’t installed anything in the pc lately. Everything happened after I updated WD to the latest build 58. It’s crazy!

Thanos

I’ve noticed that the packets stop counting when WD completes the first minute after startup and refreshes the current conditions icon!

At this moment, WD refresh the screen and pauses for on or two seconds. I hope that this will lead you to an explanation about where the problem comes from!

Thanos

any error in WD under view, program event log?

No, log window is clear!

Thanos

Is it the same with an older version?

Could you be more specific please? I haven’t checked tis log file for a very long time!

I did’t have any reason to do this so far!

Thanos

Not sure how I can be any more specific about trying an older version of WD

Sorry, I thought you meant the logfile! I can rollback only to build released on 17/9/17.

I don’t have an older version than this available! I’ll roll back to this to check.

Thanos

I rolled back to that build (57) but the problem remains.

My last chance to recover (hopefully), is to restore my system this evening from a system backup, taken yesterday at 22:00 o’clock,
before I did the WD 58 build update, that probably caused these problems.

I’ll let you know Brian, but if you have any other tip to check, please let me know.

Thanos

if you could .zip and email me your settings files, I will test here

Brian, which files should I send to you? Only WDISPLAY.INI, or others too?

Thanos

there is a FAQ on the forum for how to send me your settings files

Files sent to [email protected]

Thanks,

Thanos

I am not able to duplicate any problem here with your settings and my spare VP console (USB data logger)

from watching your video, the data received light flashes but WD does not like the data that is arriving
you can set WD to show some debug info:
setup, advanced/misc , tick to log the raw data

then see what shows under view , debug info

Ok Brian, I’ll open debug log and let you know what it shows.

Thanos

Well Brian, here’s a file with some debug info attached.

I restored my system using yesterday’s system backup with no result! :roll:

I’m almost convinced that there’s something going wrong with the communication of WD with the datalogger through the serial port!
I changed the hardware(console and datalogger) with new one that I’ve bought lately. The problem remains the same with that too!
So, VP2 hardware is ok.

The one million question is, why WeatherLink is working all the time flawlessly together with virtual or physical COM ports while WD does not?
I am using WD for the last 12 years, in the beginning directly to a physical COM port and after some time when VVP was released, through virtual serial ports without any problems!

The usb datalogger you have, probably isn’t affected by this issue!

Brian, my system and all the work I’ve done is based on WD and now looks useless! I’m almost desperate! Only you can help! I’m willing to run any test you think it should ran!

The dedicated PC where I run all weather software, is working 24/7 for the last two years without any issues. Nothing has changed in hardware since it was built.

I see that some other users have got similar problems with the serial communication.

Thank you in advance,

Thanos

debuginfo.txt (23 KB)

so far it seems to be only serial data logger users affected?
I do not actually know what has changed that would cause a problem
you would think using an older version it would be OK
but that does not seem to the case for you?
in any case, the debug info does provide good clues
namely that WD is getting out of sync
so try this update
http://www.weather-display.com/downloadfiles/weatherdisplaytest.zip

I also have build 59 .zip uploaded too
I have to go to a meeting now

Unfortunately, the problem still remains even in build 59!

Here’s another video which shows WD’s startup (latest build 59). As you can see, the counter starts counting almost in the beginning,
but when the digital clock over the packet counter completes the next minute, WD freezes for a moment and the counter stops counting(no packets received!).

http://www.meteothes.gr/documents/WD2.mp4

The same happens each five minutes, when WD prepares to upload the static webpage to the server. At this time, WD freezes for more time (4-5 secs).

Thanos