New WD 64Bit Linux fails to start.

Brian there is a minor issue with the new archive. The deploy folder is spelt Deploy but the export command for LD_LIRARY_PATH has it as deploy so none of the files will load. I change the script to the actual name Deploy and got past that error.

However on openSUSE libcurl-gnutls.so.4 does not exist and there is no package for it either. Seems like openSUSE believe it could be a security issue. Is it critical? I have linked the name to libcurl.so.4.4 and the program starts but then hangs in start up, could this be to do with the gnutls version being required? If so this will never run on openSUSE.

Stuart

There is a browser package you need to download
See on the read me
Also make sure to run as sudoku
I will fix the deploy issue

Brian I have libwebkit2gtk-4 installed (there is no libwebkitgtk-3.0 in openSUSE Tumbleweed). Copying deploy to /usr/lib does not work on this 64bit system, they have to be copied to lib64. Then trying to run the program with sudo I get

Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused

(weatherdisplay:18182): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: 

However running without sudo (it is bad form to run a user program as any kind of root) I do not get the error and the gui opens but hangs at the Select Language screen. The program will not respond and I have to click on the ‘X’ to eventually get window manager to close it as not responding.

Anyway removing my symlink for libcurl-gnutls.so.4 still gives me the initial issue

./weatherdisplay: error while loading shared libraries: libcurl-gnutls.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

why is libcurl-gnutls.so.4 critical to running WD? My system has the full gnutls and curl packages installed.

Stuart

running as sudo (root) is needed so that WD can write to its ini file (which is why its hanging on select language)
I use Ubuntu and it works on that (and that or Redhat is what the compiler supports) (it looks like your distro is missing some GTK library?)

I will ask for some help about this

another thing to try is
sudo yum install webkitgtk.x86_64

also sudu is needed to be able to open a com port (same case for consolewd this has always been a requirement)
unless you do a chmod permissions on the serial port and maybe on the ~/Documents/wdisplay/ folder

OK
I installed Suse on my Virtual Box
I had to do the sym link to libcurl-gnutls

and I had to install libusb-4
and then WD would run not as root
after selecting the language, the problem then is that the nag screen is behind the main screen
so just move the main screen to the side

then you need to set the permission on the serial port:
sudo chmod 666 /dev/ttyUSB0

and it works :slight_smile:

also restart WD to fix the colour of the dial
update: download again, now the nag screen does not show up straight away

Thanks Brian I will give it a go.

Stuart

new build available , the weather dials are like the Mac version now :wink:

did you get it to work?

Sorry Brian not had time yet. I will try in the next day or so.

One thing I do see from adding the deploy folder contents to the system directory is that I get informational messages cropping up when I update my system about one entry (liblunar I think it was) but so far it has not caused any issues, it may be better to stick to the way the script adds these rather than copying them just in case it causes problems in the future. Next time I update I’ll make a note of the message in detail.

Stuart

Brian I am still having no luck. Firstly there is no ttyUSB0 in my dev folder, second with the new version I see a segmentation fault with the symlink in place for libcurl-gnutls.so.4 to libcurl.so.4 and I still see the message

./weatherdisplay: /usr/lib64/libcurl-gnutls.so.4: no version information available (required by ./weatherdisplay)

as I did with the previous version. So if anything the new version is more problematic on openSUSE Tumbleweed than before. I do have a laptop with openSUSE Leap 42.3 installed and will try the new version on that to see what happens. Tumbleweed is a ‘bleeding’ edge distro which is right up to date with the very latest of everything whereas Leap is a more stable system and not quite so bang up to date on everything.

Stuart

I am using tumbleweed and I got it to work
I added some info about what to do in the readme for Suse distro (in the latest update)
re the usb, is your davis plugged in?

Sorry yes I forgot that. Having plugged in that I have followed your instructions to the letter on both Tumbleweed and Leap.

I still have the segmentation fault when running on Leap 42.3 and same error message about libcurl-gnutls.so.4 as well so it still wont start for me.

Stuart

Just to say my systems update complains about libhid.so.0.0 (not liblunar as I said earlier) being for unknown machine when running ldconfig. As I said no problems yet but I dislike messages like this on updates just in case.

Stuart

that is just a sym link file to the libhid.so
which is probably mal formed or similar (i.e might be linked to my setup)

if I were you I would Ubuntu

but I also installed the following
sudo zypper in -t pattern “devel_C_C++”
and then
sudo ln -s /lib64/libgcc_s.so.1 /lib64/libgcc_s.so
and then installed
zypper in joe
zypper in wget
zypper in p7zip-full
zypper in curl
zypper in openssh
zypper in zlib1g-dev
zypper in libcurl4-gnutls-dev

I have tried Kubuntu in the past (hate Gnome with a vengeance) but I dont like it, it relies on sudo rather than having a root user (at least it did) and there are other things which annoy me. If I change at all it would be to go back to Fedora, but that is a backwards step from Tumbleweed.

Stuart

if you you want it to work then I recommend to use Ubuntu
as that is what is recommend to work with the compiler I use and that is what works here easily with no hoops to jump through

up to you