new version of WD linux , similar to WD Mac version

No change.

I do not see those errors
i wonder if its associated with screen resolution maybe?
since it references gdk width?

I’ve just got WD for Linux running this morning on a brand new Intel NUC with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. So far I haven’t connected it to my Davis because that is reporting weather data to my Windows PC. At this stage I want to be sure that WD for Linux is going to work to some degree before committing to it, and then hopefully get the Broadway remote access working (more on that in my next post).

WD seems to be running OK so far as I can tell at this early stage, but when exiting, I see this error message every time:

grant@INTEL-NUC7i3BNH:~/wdisplay$ sudo ./weatherdisplay
3.0 Mesa 17.0.7
Exception EAccessViolation in module weatherdisplay at 0000000000B249FE.
Access violation at address 0000000000B249FE, accessing address 0000000000000018.
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

This would seem to be a serious problem, so I’d like to know what to do about it before proceeding further.

you mean exit via save and exit?
are you running it as sudo? (needs to be so that it can save to the ini files)

I am getting very similar error messages to Brian, except I don’t have a ‘Segmentation Fault’ at the end. Complete error message window attached.

Also, when invoking the first Broadway command, I see the following:

grant@INTEL-NUC7i3BNH:~/wdisplay$ sudo GDK_BACKEND=broadway
usage: sudo -h | -K | -k | -V
usage: sudo -v [-AknS] [-g group] [-h host] [-p prompt] [-u user]
usage: sudo -l [-AknS] [-g group] [-h host] [-p prompt] [-U user] [-u user]
[command]
usage: sudo [-AbEHknPS] [-r role] [-t type] [-C num] [-g group] [-h host] [-p
prompt] [-u user] [VAR=value] [-i|-s] []
usage: sudo -e [-AknS] [-r role] [-t type] [-C num] [-g group] [-h host] [-p
prompt] [-u user] file …

It looks to me as though the command wasn’t executed, however the next command works OK:

rant@INTEL-NUC7i3BNH:~/wdisplay$ sudo broadwayd :5
[sudo] password for grant:
Listening on /home/grant/.cache/broadway6.socket

Needless to say, attempting to open a browser window at [b]http://127.0.0.1:8085/[/b] (on my Windows PC) doesn’t work.
Is that what I am supposed to do when attempting to view WD for Linux from a different device on my LAN?

It would be great to get this working. Thanks Brian for any help you can offer.

Error Messages 2.txt (18.6 KB)

grant@INTEL-NUC7i3BNH:~/wdisplay$ sudo GDK_BACKEND=broadway
you are missing a bit of the end see my screen shot above

Yes, definitely running WD via sudo, as shown in the terminal window text posted above.

However, I just clicked the red X button to exit so maybe that is why.

P.S. Just tried the ‘Exit’ command from menu and it now seems to exit normally with various messages saying ‘No process found’ followed by ‘Terminated’.

Thanks Brian, I’ll remember not to use the red X button in future :oops:

Your instructions say this:

[b]in Ubuntu
open a terminal window
type in
sudo GDK_BACKEND=broadway

then open a browser window and point to
http://127.0.0.1:8085
note that you do need to have web sockets available in that browser (if using chrome then google how to make sure that is enabled)

then in another terminal window
type in
sudo broadwayd :5

then in another terminal window, where WD is

sudo GDK_BACKEND=broadway BROADWAY_DISPLAY=:5 ./weatherdisplay

(assuming you have copied the files in the Deploy folder to /usr/lib/

then refresh the browser window[/b]

And I followed them to the letter. Are you saying that the first part of those instructions is incorrect?

type in
sudo GDK_BACKEND=broadway

it was not clear that you had also done
sudo GDK_BACKEND=broadway BROADWAY_DISPLAY=:5 ./weatherdisplay

Yes, I executed both commands from different terminal windows as per your instructions. The first short command doesn’t seem to do anything and the second (as you’ve pasted above) produces the very long error message shown in my attachment.

So it seems that Remote Viewing has serious issues at this stage but I can continue trying to get WD for Linux working with my Davis, albeit remembering not to use the Red X button :wink:

Yes I am thinking the same thing or something along those same lines. As I stated before, all other applications work with broadway so it has to be something unique to my hardware or monitor - why I mentioned video driver. Anyway, I am out of town for the weekend but will investigate further when I return. One question, when running with broadway do you have weather display set to the default screen size from the screen size menu?

yes, everything default (i.e like WD starting up new, no settings)

I’m very pleased to report that WD for Linux is mostly working on my Intel NUC with a couple of minor bugs noticed and an issue with the data logger.
Starting from the beginning:

1. I confirmed that my FTDI USB to RS-232 converter was being recognised by Ubuntu and /dev/ttyUSB0 is present.
  2. Started WD and was very pleased to see that polling started immediately with good data packets being received and the data counter incrementing.
  3. Then enabled data logging and restarted WD.
  4. It was here that things started to go off the rails a bit and the ‘Davis VP History Data Extraction’ window never did anything, just staying there until I clicked ‘Abort’. See attachment for screen shot.
    … continued in next post.

… continued from last post.
5) WD wouldn’t run after aborting the Data Logger Extraction window so I exited, to find a large number of error messages waiting for me in the terminal window (see attachment).
6) Restarted WD and disabled Data Logging so I could continue my testing.
… continued in next post.

Data Logger Error Messages.txt (685 Bytes)

… continued from last post.
7) WD restarted normally and I continued my setup, duplicating settings from my Windows installation.
8 ) Noticed that ‘Gust Needle Colour’ button in Universal Setup doesn’t work.
9) Enabled ‘Display Windrun on Main Screen’ and noticed that it overwrites Solar and UV, which is disappointing (see attachment). The Windows version can show both.

Apart from the Data Logger issue, these faults are pretty minor.

Brian: This is an excellent improvement to the WD family and I am very grateful for your efforts.
If these things can be fixed I will register my Linux copy and pay the appropriate fee.

8 ) Noticed that 'Gust Needle Colour' button in Universal Setup doesn't work.
some things do not work on the linux version, like that sorry

if you want it to be exactly like the windows version then I cant help you

the data extraction should work though, I will do some testing here

Thanks Brian, understood. The Data Extraction is the most important thing so I look forward to testing a new version when you have it ready.

new update ready,build 291, the VP history data extraction is working now

Excellent work Brian. I can confirm that the Data Extraction is working now. I’ll send you a registration request by email shortly.

Being a bit of a Linux novice, can you tell me what is the best way to set up a script so that WD runs automatically at startup?

just fixed, view, logfile, not working

re start up…maybe try googling that? (i.e using a bash script?)