Heathkit ID-5001

Hi, I’m trying to get a id-5001 working on 10.37R278 and windows 10, comm connects data received increments, but the readings are never updated, i.e. barometer and temps on display never change and are not even close, turning on log raw data for testing looks good and matches the actual values.
ATRB
B3019
ATRR
R00000
ATRTI
t078
ATRHI
h00
ATRWG
W000M140D
ATRTO
T078
ATRHO
H00
ATRB
B3019

debug output while logging looks like

T078
10 84 0 7 8
calc baro 84078.0
heathkit raw baro data
T078
10 84 0 7 8
calc baro 84078.0
heathkit raw baro data
T078
10 84 0 7 8
calc baro 84078.0
heathkit raw baro data

Any ideas? Thanks

looks to be an issue with the barometer reading
what is the baro reading on the station?

Same as what is reported in the raw data 30.19, the temp is also not being updated the raw says 78 which agrees with the id-5001 but WD shows barometer as 23.931 and the temp as 55.4 and never changes.

OK, I see what is happening
the data seems to be out of sequence
I.e WD thinks its dealing with barometer data but its temperature data

there should be a file called
rawultimeterdata.txt
post here the contents of that (it changes, so open a few times to get different contents, sort of thing)

I had cleared it playing around so I turned logging back on for a bit and have attached the file it created, thanks

rawultimeterdata.txt (4.32 KB)

I’ve got that same Heathkit. Unfortunately , it’s sitting on the shelf with a power supply problem and I replaced it with a Davis VP2. I keep hoping someone would bring out a wireless kit for it. I absolutely loved the console display.

@wa6fwf
it looks like all the data comes in at once
which is not what normaly happens
but I can set WD to handle that (as an option )

or is that a combined different outputs,of that file, or?

I’m not sure what you mean by that, you can have the 5001 stream data as it changes by sending the command ATXSA then as values change you will see output like B3019 B3018 T078 T077etc, if nothing changes value then it sends nothing, what it looks like to me is WD software is polling the 5001, WD sent the ATRB to the 5001 and it responded B3019 then the software polled the other values and it replied so if it’s polling too quickly it’s WD that is doing it.
All I did for that file was go into settings and turned on log raw data for a bit, it’s not combined with anything else.

Thanks
Kevin

ah
it looks like its the mode you have set it to
WD polls the station
its not expecting stream of data
but I can add that option if you like so that WD can handle that

Oh Wow Brian, I’m sorry if I goofed up here and do not have something set correctly, I just got this id-5001 running so I went in set the comm port and set the software to heathkit 5001 and that was it, what else should I have set to get it to run correctly?

its OK, I will add option for WD to handle the mode you have it now

(unless you can figure out how to change the mode (to polling each data record mode)
let me know

I have attached a copy of the commands the ID-5001 will accept.
Kevin

ID-5001_RS-232_commands.pdf (254 KB)

I see there is a XSA and XCA
but I can add option to WD to use the current format that your station is sendind
let me know

By default when you power on the 5001 it sends nothing, you either have to query the particular sensor you want or you tell it to auto send (XSA) data that changes, the problem with XSA is when you just booted and started WD the barometer or another sensor might not be reported to WD for hours until the value actually changes, it looks like your software is already sending the correct querys for the different sensors it just looks like it is getting lost in translation somewhere.

That’s what I thought the log was showing.

ATRB < WD is what sent this to the 5001 correct?
B3019 <5001 replied
ATRR < WD sent to the 5001
R00000 <5001 replied

So isn’t WD already doing the right thing and polling each sensor in the 5001?

So I’m not sure that you need to add any option, just need to find out were the data you already received is getting lost.
Kevin

OK, yes
that is what is happening , you are correct
but for some reason WD is getting out of sync
what I need to do is handle all the data in one big amount of data
instead of one a time
its been a while since anyone has run WD with this station type and so I might have created a problem in the code
in any case I am sure we can get it to work
(the older build 81 version might work?
http://www.weather-display.com/downloadfiles/wdisplay32build81.exe
test that version as a test?

Does the same thing, looks like it is polling fine but does not update, got anything older? :slight_smile:

I just realised that I had that rawultimeterdata.txt file set to append instead of being re written
no wonder it was like it is (i.e it will be just getting longer and longer, showing all the data coming in)

question: is all the sensors connected and working?

I think I will get this figured out OK …will get back to you :slight_smile:

I just have the basic unit working right now, indoor outdoor temp barometer and wind direction and speed, I will probably have both humidity sensors up and working in the next couple days, and I can trick the rain gauge at anytime to report in.

try this update
http://www.weather-display.com/downloadfiles/weatherdisplaytest.zip
i.e unzip to where you have WD installed (exit WD first)