Time showing as 12:00am when it is either NOON or MIDNIGHT

Brian,

I have found what I believe to be a bug in WD. My system setup is as follows:

• WD version 10.37S-b53
  • Weather Station: Davis VP2
  • Windows-10 pro
  • Desktop - HP w/Intel i7-7500 2.70GHz cpu, 16GB Memory, 2TB HDD

The problem, as viewed via the Saratoga template:

This issue has been discussed on the WXFORUM and it looks like it may be a WD problem rather
than one with the Saratoga template. That WXFORUM discussion can be found at the following link:

Basically what I am seeing is that WD is reporting a high temperature that occurs at either 12 midnight
or 12 noon, with a time of 12:00 AM. Both the clientraw.txt and testtags.php file contents support this
suspicion. I have attached copies of both files where you will see what I am seeing. I have exchanged
information with Ken True on this matter and he believe it is a WD issue also since the subject time data he
uses in his templates come from WD data.

In my post on the WXFORUM I also give a link to a NIST article that provides information on how 12 noon
and 12 midnight should be displayed so there is no ambiguity between the two different times.

That reference link is:

And yes, I know that if I change to a 24-hour format the issues goes away but the 12-hour format would
still be incorrect.

I have attached copies of both the clientraw.txt and testtags.php files containing the erroneous data.

Please let me know if you need any additional information to support this matter.

Thanks for ALL YOU DO with Weather Display. It is greatly appreciated!

Don McRoberts - W3DRM

clientraw-2017-08-30.txt (774 Bytes)

testtags-2017-08-30.php.txt (33.1 KB)

the temperature needs to be above the max recorded for a new time to be given
if your midnight temperature was the max for the day
then the midnight time will stay all day

Exactly! I don’t see any graphs on the site to it’s hard to see what really happened :frowning:

I have tested here (by setting a manual temperature)
and a max temperature occuring at exactly noon, shows as 12:00pm correctly in WD

Quote from: Weather Display on [b]Today[/b] at 06:17:45 PM

the temperature needs to be above the max recorded for a new time to be given
if your midnight temperature was the max for the day
then the midnight time will stay all day

Brian, this has NOTHING to do with the value of the temperature. I fully understand what you are saying about how the max temp gets reported. The issue is that WD reports the time (in clientraw.txt) as 12:00_AM whether the high temperature was at 12 midnight or at 12 noon.

So, we really have two issues being discussed. First is how to correctly notate midnight and noon and the second is that WD seems to interpret both 12 midnight and 12 noon as being “12:00_AM” as seen in the clientraw.txt files I have looked at.

What I am trying to articulate in the first case is that we should not be using a time of 12:00 AM or 12:00 PM as they are ambiguous as explained in the NIST article link I included in my initial post. IMHO WD should report midnight as “12 midnight” and noon as “12 noon”.

In the second case, if my observations are correct, there is a problem with WD reporting the same time for two different times of the day.

Brian, this has NOTHING to do with the value of the temperature. I fully understand what you are saying about how the max temp gets reported. The issue is that WD reports the time (in clientraw.txt) as 12:00_AM whether the high temperature was at 12 midnight or at 12 noon

I am sorry but that is not correct
I have tested and that does not occur
please see my post above

Here are the two screen captures I posted on WXFORUM that show what I am speaking of relative to the time being 12:00am for both instances. The first was for the max being at 12 midnight and the second for a max (at the time of observation) being for a temp at 12 noon.

I’m not sure what else I can do to show you what I am seeing.

2017-08-30_0815-CVWX-01.png

2017-08-29_1706-Saratoga-Template-Time-01.png

I can not duplicate this with the current version (i.e there is no bug like this with the current version)
sorry

Thanks Brian, I’ll upgrade to the latest version and watch to see if I can duplicate the issue.

Best regards!

Don

Can you attach a copy of your August logfile - 82017lg.txt ? Then we can see the data for those days in question.

Here ya go! I had to split the file and zip it so I could upload it here. Data is split from 08/01 to 08/15 in one file and then 08/16 to 08/31 in the second file. The filenames should tell you which is which. Let me know if you want more info.

82017lg-01-15.zip (218 KB)

82017lg-16-31.zip (229 KB)

Great, thanks Dan. It was late, I forgot the file size limit :oops:

Aug 29th high seems to be some kind of glitch. You’re right that the temp at midnight wasn’t 94.6F, but it wasn’t 94.6F at noon either. At noon it was actually 82F:

29 8 2017 12 0 82.0

94.6F was the high but didn’t occur until 14:09

29 8 2017 14 9 94.6

The high time did not reset for some unknown reason, but there’s no systematic noon/midnight issue here.

Thanks Niko! WD runs on a dedicated HP laptop. Other than a couple weather-related programs running along with WD, that’s it. For an i7 cpu, that is real overkill but I have lots of power for future growth :smiley:

I plan on getting some webcams installed and running and will use the same laptop for those. Am also going to install the latest version of WD later today to see if I notice any changes. I’m currently running b53 so it’s not too old.

Best regards