AccuWeather caught being naughty with user data

http://www.zdnet.com/article/accuweather-caught-sending-geo-location-data-even-when-denied-access/ :roll:

Surprised? I’m not. I’m quite sure many other “apps” do this as well and I think the ‘permissions’ system is only lip service to end-users.

Does the same on Android and with their Weather widgets as well.
I have xprivacy installed on my device and the Weather Widget (even though not active) would pop up showing that it was trying to get my location even though I told it not to.
Tons of apps do that as well, especially any google apps (even if you turn off Location services and “Deny” permissions or tell google you don’t want any of their services), they are still super persistent on trying to locate you (trying every 5 minutes or so), trying to use the GPS, triangulate you with Cell towers, WiFi and this interesting little technique that records the location you search for and zoom in on in Mapping apps.
Google to me is the most evil company out there (they have resorted to exploiting your browser in order to steal your data and invade your privacy).
They lure you in with their “free” products only to use all your data to build up a profile on you and show you ads. /rant
Cell phones are basically the most insecure devices you own.

Much less talked about is that your ISP knows every single thing you do on-line. They know what sites you visit, what apps you use, where they connect to, how many times you check email, just about anything you do on-line they know about. If it goes out or in your internet connection, they know.

DNSCrypt can help with that, encrypting your DNS traffic (also preventing DNS Hijacking which so many ISPs think is acceptable behavior).
HTTPS Everywhere helps as well, and of course VPNs if you are hardcore with your privacy.
The World of the Internet has become Data Mining and they are inventing new ways to invade your privacy all the time.

That’s OK, most people have voluntarily given it all away to Facebook anyway :lol:

Excellent Point.