WD update failure

OK kids, I did an update to the latest version of WD, now I get the following error…"“Entry point not found”

Now WD will not start.

Using windows XP with all service packs and updates.

the update for windows XP is different
there are many threads on what you need to do

Ahh man, dont tell me this now, I have been running WD on XP without problems after an update before and now this pops up?

Any way to fix this without doing a very long search for the fix, or am I stuck looking through endless threads on this problem?

there is a thread today
would not take very long to find the solution
http://discourse.weather-watch.com/t/64339

OK, I have done all the steps in that thread, but still get that entry point error…What next?

Should I try the full build 81? Installed in another location and copy just the exe files as suggested?

OK before I do the copy of the exe files why are they so old, some date back to 2013?

you should be OK if you follow the instructions at the end of that thread
but there are also many other threads on updating WD for windows XP
(which is a very old version of windows, and it not actively supported by microsoft now)

OK it’s hosed, all I get is the entry point error now.

But when I tried the version I downloaded to a different location it opens just fine, but I have no data from the past, is there a way to transfer all the data from the non working version to the one tat works?

Has no one fixed this problem???

you just need to copy the .exe files from the new location to the original location (after first installing build 81 to the original location)
and yes there are plenty others who have the latest version working on windows xp and there are lots of threads (I am guessing you have not even searched for those?)

Yes I have searched till I was blue in the face and followed all instructions, all I get now is the entry point error, and the second program wants a key (registration)and get the nag screen.

Something I’m not doing right, when I run the setup for the version 81 it’s OK, but the data history and all my settings are gone, when I do the INI transfer from the data back up files and run the registration it goes back to the error.

You will be forced eventually to W7 or higher. We’ve all been there.

Yah right…Just like everyone will be forced to wear shoes two sizes too small.

I have hardware running on this PC that will not run on w7, come on guys there has to be something that can be done, why does it work on the second program (trial version) but when the INI files and registry is transferred over it doesn’t.

As Microsoft has stopped supporting XP, many software designer’s have too. XP updates are now only available through a registry hack. Im sure Brian will do his best to help you, but don’t be suprised if you can’t get WD to work correctly on XP for you. I think Brian’s main focus is on Win 7, 8 and 10.

It looks to be something in the two files (?) that are needed to enable the new version ( the .ini and the registry ??) if I knew were to start I would try and hack it up, it looks like something is being called for that is just not there.

its not clear if you have tried copying the .exe files from the working directory to the original directory

Yup did that, I’m down on my weather site till I fix this, or junk everything and just tell people to look out their window.(sorry getting a bit frustrated)

The big question is why does it work on the second WD program downloaded to a second folder, I get the nag screen about registering and don’t have any settings or data history, but it works without the entry point error coming up.

And I can’t find anything that may be causing it, the 10.37S Build 47 program worked fine on this machine, unfortunately I can’t go back to that program or I would not be here posting.(did an update on a wim)

you could try this:
in the original install location
delete everything except the wdisplay.ini settings file and the sub folders (datafiles, logfiles, webfiles)
then install the full install to that location and run from there

try that

worse comes to worse, do you have remote access to the pc?

Well that didn’t work…But I have found the USB key drive that I used to move the WD program over from the failed server, I am copying that one back tot he PC and will try it, all I will be missing out on will be several months of data.

I have done a complete removal of all WD files from this PC, and then did a registry scan, it found a few left overs.

Will get back to you if it works…If not I have found a refurbished PC with RS-232 com ports that has W7 on it, (my weather system only has a com port for the data output) I may have to dedicate it for just the WD program, hate to spend the money but I need my WD program up and running to keep the weather info flowing here at the lake.