cloudy cloudy

Author Topic: Funny problem, frozen data - solved and again, unsolved  (Read 355 times)

Offline Devil

• Cyprus 3325'E 3455'N 300 m up
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Firefox 54.0
    • Mosfiloti weather services
Funny problem, frozen data - solved and again, unsolved
« on: August 18, 2017, 10:19:48 AM »
This morning, WD started to flatline for no apparent reason. The data displayed on the console were correct but there was no movement on the computer display or the numeric data on the computer. I checked all connections were OK. I rebooted, no difference. I tried everything I could think of, to no avail. Everything was stuck at the values of about 8 am. I then went into Station type and Settings; the correct things were checked, still no realtime data. I then disabled the station type, put in a different one, then erased that and re checked the right boxes for the system. Lo and behold, by some miracle, I was importing the right data!

Two  hours wasted!

« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 08:33:28 AM by Devil »
Devil

Offline bitsostring

• WMR200
  • Edinburgh, UK
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Mozilla compatible
Re: Funny problem, frozen data - solved
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 01:21:32 PM »
I've had plenty of flatlines, but never had to change station type to cure it! Restarting WD usually does the trick.
It's meant to be fun. . .

Offline Weather Display

• Davis VP2
  • New Zealand
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Chrome 60.0.3112.90
    • Weather Display
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 06:40:06 PM »
@ Devil
you do not say what weather station type this was for

Offline Devil

• OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Firefox 54.0
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 07:01:13 AM »
@ Devil
you do not say what weather station type this was for

Quite right, Brian. I didn't because I thought to myself that if it can happen with one type, what is there to stop it happening with any other? As it happens, it was with Aercus WH3081 + solar/UV.
Devil

Offline Weather Display

• Davis VP2
  • New Zealand
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Chrome 60.0.3112.90
    • Weather Display
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 09:53:54 AM »
I do not follow your reasoning
there are very large differences between weather station types when it comes to the connection from the hardware to the pc

one common problem is windows powering down the USB

Offline Devil

• OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Firefox 55.0
Re: Funny problem, frozen data - solved and again, unsolved
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 09:55:04 AM »
It happened again, flatlining only, this time, I could not find a work-around. Rebooting and re-installing in same file did nothing. All the variables were fixed with fantasy values (e.g., temp was permanently about 20.5C, when in reality it was in the range 30-38C). I installed Cumulus, and it worked correctly while WD was stalled, proving the USB connection was working correctly.

In the end, and in desperation, I renamed wdisplay to wdisplayold and reinstalled wdisplay from scratch. After changing to metric and other installation details, it worked perfectly. I then copied the log files from the wdisplayold directory to the new one; OK except for about 30 h of flatlined data.

I anticipate that this bug will happen again. I propose copying the working configured wdisplay directory to, say, wdisplay2. When the glitch happens next time, as I feel it will, I'll save the faulty wdisplay to, say, wdbackup, then rename wdisplay2 to wdisplay, then copy the wdbackup data directories to the new wdisplay. If that works, I should be back into business within  a few minutes, instead of hours of futile essays trying to find the fault then restarting wd from scratch. I hope that works.
Devil

Offline Weather Display

• Davis VP2
  • New Zealand
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Chrome 60.0.3112.113
    • Weather Display
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 06:46:55 PM »
next time, if you could .zip and email me your settings files and I will test here with my VP

Offline Devil

• OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Firefox 55.0
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 06:49:11 AM »
Thanks, Brian, will do!
Devil

cumulus