Fix for WD not starting up due to webcam image corruption

[ul][size=100]I do not know which was harder, finding the right section for this post or naming this post, i am sure both at wrong mind.

This is something that everyone who has their webcam image on the main screen of WD should do.[/size]

We have seen time and time again (been there myself) where the the PC restarted due to some issue or another and because WD did not shut down properly it will not restart, typically if memory serves, it throws up a general exception, and this is normally because the webcam image has gotten itself corrupted because it did not save properly.

[font=verdana][size=100]I was just thinking this morning and nearly put in a suggestion to have WD do what i am about to explain, i decided not to suggest this because not everyone will have kept the webcamimage image or jpwebcam image the same name, so i canceled the post and this is what i did instead.

Create a batch file that will delete the offending image at startup

[/size][/font][list]
[li]Open notepad[/li]
[/ul]

• [li]Insert your path to your folder where you have your webcam image saved to and the name of your webcam image (add more lines like i have if needed)
    cd “Y:\wdisplay\webfiles\webcam\webcamimage”
    del “jpgwebcam.jpg”
    del “webcamimage.gif”
    [/li]
  • Click File then Save as, change the folder to the desktop (for now), change file type to “All files” then type the e of the file (anything you want) with .bat on the end, e.g delete webcam image.bat
  • Test it by first opening your folder where the file is kept that you want deleted, then find the batch file you have just created, double click it and then check that folder to make sure the image disappeared, be quick, if WD is running it will soon create it again.
  • [li]If step 4 was successful, you now need to copy the file to the startup folder, never easy to find so let me help
    C:\Users[b]YOURUSERNAME[/b]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    [/li]

[font=verdana][size=100]

That will do it for windows users, not got a clue about mac, you’re on your own with that one :lol:
The above may seem like a lot or a little difficult perhaps, its not, just follow the instructions, it can save hair pulling in the future[/size][/font][/list]

All this is way above me, but won't  this delete all the jpgwebcam.jpg or what ever you call your webcam images in the folder, each time you start WD ?.( I'm not moaning about your post it sounds like a good idea, I to have had corrupt webcam images. )

teal.

It will only delete the file you name in there, nothing else will be touched.

Interesting idea :slight_smile: I might re-name the files instead of deleting them.

That can be done but i see no point to be honest, its going to be created as soon as webcamcapture starts anyway :slight_smile:

I thought it might be interesting to be able to check if the images were actually corrupted.

Ideally I need to make it where WD can handle the problem
(but I need a copy of the offending file etc)

Yes, they are, they show as a dead thumbnail when the error occurs, so its easy to track it down just at a quick glance, but, its not always that easy, if the file is near completion, the thumbnail will look it too :confused:

Keep forgetting, the only thing on my mind is get wd running as quick as, everything else is a blur

What i could do a bit later on is try and manually force it to occur

The only issue i have come across with this method (i will put a disclaimer up) is that if WD loads before webcamcapture, your webcam image in wd mainscreen disappears for short time until webcamcapture starts up, then the next part of this issue is, the image reverts to is default size (big) this then stays like that until WD is restarted.

2 ways to look at the above, its just creating another issue or, its actually a fix until you are back at your machine (if it was an auto restart or start from power fail) and upin seeing the larger image knowing that an error occurred and wd happily started up with out incident.

There is a workaround for the above issue, many of you use start watch, just have WD delay start 2 mins after startwatch, have webcamcapture start 15 seconds after startwatch, it does not need WD to run so all will be well and it will produce the image that the PC deleted upon start up, it needs 15 seconds because it needs a little time for the startup to delete the image(s) 1st.