Start up WD with admin privileges

Watched the YouTube videos and set up to have WD start up from desktop shortcut and on Windows startup, but neither of these seems to work with the WMR200. WD starts OK but then WMR200 History vers 1.3 fails to open the USB port.

I have tried this on two computers, and I have tried three scenarios for Windows startup: a Windows restart; a convenient Windows Update and Restart; and a shut down/wait 5 mins before rebooting. All three failed.

One computer runs Win 10 Home 64-bit and the other runs Win 10 Pro 64-bit. Both were running WD10.37S55, which I was moving from one machine to another.

Any ideas?

its not very clear if that is a new problem (the not being able to open the port) or?

Problem occurred today as described. Each time I restarted WD manually and there was no problem.

As you know it has happened before, and will no doubt happen again, but not so many times in a row on one day.

so its not a problem specific to anyone version

and when you say each time you started WD manually it was OK
what does that mean in regard to how and when the problem occurred?
i.e what was the exact circumstances around the problem when it occurred?

Every time the problem occurred I shut down the WMR200 History vers 1.3 screen and WD and then restarted it immediately with no problem.

yes, but that does not give any info about the circumstances around when the problem occured

As I can’t seem to get WD working with WMR200 overnight history data I’m setting up another computer to run 24/7 unattended, and I wanted to set up WD to start up after an update or power cut forced a Windows restart or reboot.

I tried the option to start from a desktop shortcut to task scheduler on my main Win 10 Pro computer, and that didn’t work. WMR200 History vers 1.3 reader opened but just sat looking for data, and didn’t open the USB port.

Then I transferred WD to the Win 10 Home machine and set up the task scheduler option to start up with Windows after a minute delay.

As described above, I first forced a Windows restart from Start menu/Power without closing WD first. The computer restarted and WD started up and showed the main screen, but the History reader just sat looking for data again. So I shut down WD and immediately restarted it (from a desktop shortcut direct to WeatherDisplay.exe), with complete success.

Next I discovered that a Windows update restart was required, so I selected Update and Restart in Power without closing WD first. Again, after the update was readied, the computer and WD restarted but failed to open the USB port. Again, I shut down WD and immediately restarted it, with complete success.

Finally, I chose Shut down in Power, left the computer off for 5 minutes and then rebooted, with exactly the same results as before.

Maybe I should have tried just pulling the external power as well, but I was getting a bit frustrated by then.

so anytime you restart windows, WD can not open the usb port for the history data
but does on a restart

if you simply exit WD (via exit save and exit) does WD then open the usb port OK

that is the sort of info I also need

Yes, it does.

I suppose there are three ways of shutting down WD:

1. Save and Exit - WD start up works
  2. Close e.g. with Windows cross at top right of window (which is presumably what happens if Windows is Shut down or Restarts after an update) - WD start up doesn’t seem to work
  3. Just switching the machine off, which happens with a power cut - WD start up does what? (I haven’t tried this.)

It may be that this behaviour is connected to my USB extender. I hope to be able to do away with that soon and connect the console direct to the computer USB port.

“task scheduler option to start up with Windows after a minute delay” - I would try a longer delay, maybe it takes that W10 PC more than 1 minute to get all its ducks in a row (and phone home).

do not use the X in the top right hand corner
if you are exiting WD
as its likely the separate running wmr200 program is not going to close
(which if you then restart WD, the port is being used by that program (i.e make sure that program is not running)

Too right! I wanted to put in 5 minutes but the drop-down menu didn’t show that. So I just typed in 5 minutes and it refused to save the task!

One minute delay is recommended in the video.

So what do you think happens if the power fails, Brian? The Microsoft fairy says I must “save and exit”?

on a reboot of windows, the wmr200 program will not be running

Exactly. So it can’t be running in any of the situations I investigated to test WD start up after a power outage or Windows restart.

I only mentioned the cross at top right because I’m trying to understand the different ways WD can be shut down by external causes.

Hmmm, must be a W10 thing, in W7 you can use any delay you want. I use 2 mins with my Atom PC.

For the avoidance of doubt, WMR200 History vers 1.3 doesn’t even try to open the USB port. It just sits looking for data from whatever time it lost connection.

can you copy /past what does show?

“Looking for data from hh:mm:ss mm/dd/yyyy”

Never gets to “trying to open the USB port”

I was experiencing a similar problem. I tried the solutions you have. Nothing worked.

I finally got it! I changed the data logging interval to 1 minute and restarted.

Problem solved.