Weather Underground’s Next Frontier: Air Quality

Brian, can both downloads (ie: from the Thingspeak cloud storage and the local network) be done or is it one or the other but not both?

Might be practical if both downloads could simultaneously be done (take place), if technically possible - both ‘airquality.txt’ (from the local network download) and ‘airquality2.txt’ (from the Thingspeak cloud storage download) could be created/produced at regular intervals and possibly uploaded to the same directory where Weather Display normally uploads its data files (such as for example, ‘clientraw.txt’, etc.).

Having both PurpleAir data files produced and uploaded would allow PHP script developers to process that data and use it on web pages.

they can be both done (they are one at the same time, by the cronairquality.exe)
(one is airquality.txt the other is airquality2.txt)
that is how I have it now, with the latest .zip update

Brian, I just installed/updated the files (‘cronairquality.exe’ and ‘weatherdisplay.exe’) from the latest ZIP (2017-08-22 @ 02:11).

I think you might have misunderstood my previous message. What I was suggesting was that both PurpleAir data files (both ‘airquality.txt’ and ‘airquality2.txt’) be created simultaneously (at the same time) when a check mark is placed in front of the ‘Use local data (for 1.0 and 10.0 PM size data)’.

As I tried to explain, it is my thinking that the priority should be given to the PurpleAir data file downloaded from the Thingspeak cloud storage (the data file might only contain values for the PM2.5, but the data file also contains the PM2.5 values for both channels, so we have data backup for the PM2.5 in case something goes wrong with one of the channels of the PurpleAir unit) - this should be the default download when there is no check mark in front of the ‘Use local data (for 1.0 and 10.0 PM size data)’ - this mean that only the ‘airquality2.txt’ data file is created (this would become the default PurpleAir data file).

When there is a check mark in front of the ‘Use local data (for 1.0 and 10.0 PM size data)’, then, first, the PurpleAir data file is downloaded from the Thingspeak cloud storage, and then, second, the PurpleAir data file is downloaded from the local networked PurpleAir unit - this mean that both the ‘airquality.txt’ and ‘airquality2.txt’ data files are created.

If the weather station operator enters only the basic setting (ie: just the sensor ID and nothing else), then, by default, the PurpleAir data is downloaded from the Thingspeak cloud storage - this would create only the ‘airquality2.txt’ data file.

If the weather station operator enters additional settings (ie: the sensor ID + URL to local networked PurpleAir unit + check mark in from of ‘Use local data (for 1.0 and 10.0 PM size data)’), then, by default, the PurpleAir data would first be downloaded from the Thingspeak cloud storage and then, the PurpleAir data wouldl (second) be downloaded from the local networked PurpleAir unit - this would create both the ‘airquality.txt’ and ‘airquality2.txt’ data files.

they will get created at the same time
as long as you have ticked to use local IP and you have entered a sensor ID number

If the weather station operator enters only the basic setting (ie: just the sensor ID and nothing else), then, by default, the PurpleAir data is downloaded from the Thingspeak cloud storage - this would create only the 'airquality2.txt' data file.
that is now it works now
If the weather station operator enters additional settings (ie: the sensor ID + URL to local networked PurpleAir unit + check mark in from of 'Use local data (for 1.0 and 10.0 PM size data)'), then, by default, the PurpleAir data would first be downloaded from the Thingspeak cloud storage and then, the PurpleAir data wouldl (second) be downloaded from the local networked PurpleAir unit - this would create both the 'airquality.txt' and 'airquality2.txt' data files.
and yes this is how it is working now the only thing I need to do now is to compare the values and use the cloud data if the local data (if available) is out of range

Brian, I have to disagree with you as only one data file (ie: ‘airquality2.txt’) has been produced since I installed the latest test version of ‘weatherdisplay.exe’ (dated: 02:04:41 on 2017-08-22) - in my settings, I have entered the sensor ID number and I have placed a check mark in front of ‘Use local data (for 1.0 and 10.0 PM size data)’! :?

If I look at the creation time of both data files:

• airquality2.txt - created/updated at 18:23:17 on 2017-08-22
  • airquality.txt - created/updated at 16:38:54 on 2017-08-22

Brian, first, can we agree (you and I) that the data downloaded from the Thingspeak cloud storage (using the sensor ID) will be the default data, meaning that this (the data downloaded from the Thingspeak cloud storage) will be the data (from either channel #2 or channel #2) that will be use by Weather Display to calculate the current air quality index.

As you indicated, from the data downloaded from the Thingspeak cloud storage, the PM2.5 value from channel #1 will have to be compared with the PM2.5 value from channel #2, making sure that neither value is smaller than 0 (zero) or greater than 500. If both PM2.5 values are close to each other, then the PM2.5 value of channel #1 will be used (to calculate the AQI). If there is a discrepancy between the two PM2.5 values, the smallest PM2.5 value should be considered the correct one (to calculate the AQI).

The data download from the local networked PurpleAir unit (when a check mark is placed in front of ‘Use local data (for 1.0 and 10.0 PM size data)’) should be in addition to the data downloaded from the Thingspeak cloud storage.

use this update to fix that
http://www.weather-display.com/downloadfiles/cronairquality.zip

No reason to feel victimized, you can get a 2.5/10 particulate counter suitable for lower temperatures, the e-bam, meets EPA and handles -30 Deg C to 50 Deg C. Starts around $20K.

Nikko Not sure where you get your info about Alaska Temps but we are talking about -40 and greater. I have talked to the local air quality guys in Fairbanks who uses these high price machines and they say the same thing. When the temps drop the data goes kaput as the machine can not do what they have to do when you need the data the most at -40 F, -50 F and -60 F. So why buy an 28K machine that also does not work. By the way Masters was a bit surprise when I mention the operating range to him.

John

John, I do not own (nor can I afford) one of those overly expensive air monitor… :roll:

But I am just so curious as to why an air monitor unit could not include some kind of pre-heater, where the freezing air could be slightly warmed up (without any kind of filtration) before entering the chamber where the laser (or whatever) sensors are located. The complete air monitoring unit could even be insulated to ensure that the temperature of the internal chamber be kept constant no matter how cold the external temperature is. :?

this update
http://www.weather-display.com/downloadfiles/weatherdisplaytest.zip

uses the cloud data for the 2.5 value, and if the first value found there is over 1000 (i.e out of range), then second value in that data is used for the 2.5 value

Brian, latest test update of Weather Display installed and running.

Notice, thought, that if I remove the check mark in front of ‘Use local data (for 1.0 and 10.0 PM size data)’, both data files ‘airquality.txt’ and ‘airquality2.txt’ are still created/produced/updated. For the time being, Brian, please, just leave the creation of both data files (‘airquality.txt’ and ‘airquality2.txt’) as it is…

Will contact you later on.

Okay, so I got the sensor and hooked it up but, I’m stuck trying to connect it to wifi as the instructions are not very clear on exactly how to do that. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.purpleair.com/configure

Also, what ID am I supposed to use here (PAII?)or do I just make one up?

2.Connect WiFi to a network called “AirMonitor_xxxx” where xxxx is specific to the sensor.
NOTE: The “AirMonitor_xxxx” network is only available while the sensor is not connected to WiFi.

Harry, welcome to the world of PurPleAir. :wink:

A few questions before I can give you any advice/assistance…

• How familiar are you in setting up and managing an internal/local network?
  • Do you have an internal/local network set?
  • If you have a internal/local network set and functioning, what is your starting IP address (by default, the starting IP address is usually 192.168.0.1)?
    [li]If you have a internal/local network set and functioning, other than your computer, do you have any other computers or devices connected to the internal/local network?
    [/li]
  • Is that internal/local network managed by either a router and modem or by a combined all-in-one modem/router?

The reason I ask the above is that it was fairly easy for me to connect the PurpleAir unit to my WiFi network.

So, until I get some answers (mostly) about you knowledge of internal/local network and the type of equipment your network is using, I cannot and do not want to guess a reply… :?

Rob, thanks for the response. Unfortunately, my knowledge of networks pretty minimal.

• Yes, I have an internal/local network.
  • The starting address sounds about right however, I couldn’t find it in the system summary page at 192.168.1.254.
  • I have lots and lots of stuff connected to the network, another computer, ipad, tablets, iphones, printer, smart TVs, you name it.
  • It is an AT&T Uverse 2Wire all-in-one modem/router with wifi all built in.

Do you know how to access the settings of your all-in-one modem/router?

The settings for some all-in-one modem/router are accessed by entering a specific address into you browser, such as, for example, ‘192.168.0.1’ or even ‘http://gateway.2wire.net/’. How do you access your modem/router?

Have you set any of those devices with a fixed IP address?

A fixed IP address is created/obtained when a specific IP address it assigned to the MAC address of the device. For example, let us presume that your computer has the MAC address ‘12:34:56:78:90:AB’ (fictitious MAC address). What you would do, somewhere in the setting in modem/router, you would enter the MAC address followed with the IP address you want the computer to always have (whenever the modem/router is rebooted or the said computer is rebooted) such as ‘192.168.1.150’ (fictitious IP address).

Would you by any chances have the documentation for that modem/router in the PDF format you could provide me?

Again, I am trying to get as much information as I can from you in order to know what suggestions I can provide… :?

Surprise, surprise, I finally got it connected. :blob5: I found a better set of instructions and following them, it connected right away. Using my windows tablet which is connected to wifi and clicking on the wifi icon brought up the list of available connections and lo and behold, the AirMonitor_xxxx network was in the list. Connecting to that and following the rest of the instructions in Step 2, the sensor connected. I am now on the map. Hoorah!!!

https://www.purpleair.com/map?&zoom=12&lat=37.59633&lng=-122.06966999999997&clustersize=30&inc=317376|317379&orderby=L&latr=0.11969076208699647&lngr=0.270538330078125

For anyone else that may have trouble connecting the sensor, here is the link. Note: for some reason the steps are reversed.

https://sites.google.com/site/purpleairmonitors/install

Just for future reference to, to answer your questions, it seems the only way I can get into the settings is to go to 192.168.1.254. I tried 192.168.0.1 and it didn’t work and for some reason, gateway.2wire.net doesn’t work for me anymore either. I didn’t set anything using a fixed IP address, I just looked for my network on the list and connected to that with the pass key.

Good job Harry! I see your AQI of 8 is way lower than the 54 the official Fremont station is reporting.

Thanks. Yeah, I don’t know how they come up with 54. When you look at all the other sensors around me, they are all in the green. It should get interesting the rest of the week when it starts heating up around here.

https://www.purpleair.com/map?&zoom=9&lat=37.664534358481625&lng=-122.38960201263427&clustersize=30&orderby=L&latr=0.8414121841420652&lngr=2.197265625

Current official AQI http://ucweather.org/wxaqi.php

Congratulation Harry.

The reasons I was asking all those questions is that the PurpleAir unit should have a fixed IP address on your network and not one that is automatically (and possibly different) assigned every times your modem/router is rebooted/restarted.

Having a fixed IP address assigned to the PurpleAir unit and using that fixed address with Weather Display makes using the PurpleAir unit much simpler as you do not have to modify the Weather Display settings.

Have you, by any chances, found the ID number of your PurpleAir unit (that number is needed by Weather Display to access and download the data from your PurpleAir unit from the Thingspeak cloud storage)?

Harry, how about using the following link to the Google map - it is a closer view (zoomed in) of your area which is a bit less confusing:
https://www.purpleair.com/map?&zoom=11&lat=37.59911630441284&lng=-122.08027677294922&clustersize=30&orderby=L&latr=0.40149276224196484&lngr=1.0182952880859375

Thanks, Rob. So even though I used 192.168.4.1 to connect the sensor to wifi, it could change anyway on reboot? In that case I would need some help to set up a fixed IP address for this thing.

I guess you are referring to the ID that shows in the AirMonitor network name? If so, the ID is d81d.

As far as the google map link goes, I have that. I only posted the link for the whole area to give an idea what the rest of the sensors around here are showing.