WD Locking up/Hangs

So it’s been like many years now running WD 10.37R (B81) without issues. Until yesterday after a crash when suddenly WD refuses to work.

I have tried almost anything, and now I am out of ideas.

Everytime I run WD and it gets the first packets of data it just crashes and I have to terminate WeatherD.exe from task manager.

Weather station is a Davis VP2 with a serial datalogger (directly to a com port) running with VirtualVP on a windows XP pc. Weatherlink is still working fine. I have tried to communicate directly to WD without VirtualVP and still crashed. I also tried a fresh install on a different directory and still got the same result. I tried Cumulus and VWS just to check if its a station/logger issue but they are communicating fine.

Thing is I cant find any errors in the wd logs. The only thing I noticed is that the program crashes always after those lines

Loaded all time records loading the data file month82017.inf Connecting com port 6 Com port connected OK -> 6

OK

Sometimes after the “doing checking of timezone calculation” thing also.

I have attached the Windows crash log but I don’t think it contains anything useful.

Any ideas please? :frowning:

appcompat.txt (95.7 KB)

Ok I think I have isolated the source of the problem, but still it seems really weird.

There is something going REALLY wrong with the timezone settings. I tried to run WD without the Davis connected to the PC, and it runs ok, playing with the menus etc. BUT whenever I am trying to access the Solar/Lunar & Coordinates under Control Panel it hangs just like when it starts getting data from davis.

So its definitely something wrong with that part

"doing checking of timezone calculation"

What kind of fix should work though in that case ? :? A fresh install didnt have any effect as I said earlier.

could be a problem with the sun moon rise/set
I cant do anything about that version old version

you would need to be using the latest version and then we can move forward from there

Thanks Brian, reason I am using that old version is that I am still running Windows XP together with a bunch of other programs like Nexstorm, VirtualVP etc. Its been running like this for some years now without any issues.

I have set up your latest version of WD (in a different folder) and I am getting the SAME behaviour. Is there any way we can see a log message why is this happening? I am afraid if anything broke in my windows XP setup.

sounds like your WD registry may be corrupt do you have a backup of the WD reg file before the crash you could use

WD can run on windows XP (you just need to make sure windows XP is update to date with all the patches and also use the full install update then use the build 81 install then use .zip update

yes, it could be a problem with the registry settings
you could try as a test back those up and then delete
(in WD use the windows registry back up under action)
then use windows regedit.exe to find wdisplayftp.ini then delete that

Ok so… The problem is indeed in the registry but I am still really confused.

I tried to use an older reg file I had from like 2 years before, but the issue remained, WD still crashed.

I managed to make it work only when I deleted the whole wdisplayftp.ini from regedit.exe but now all my settings are lost. At least we made some progress.

Question now is how can I restore my old settings without crashing?

I am trying to find inside the registry what part is responsible for the crash and delete only that.

.zip and email me the backed up wdisplayftp.reg file

Done. I sended 2 versions.