Version 2017, Build 1.3, and the Eclipse!!

I’ve just released 2017, Build 1.3, the only change to WXSIM being due to a discovery I think I just made about the GFS model. Now that we’re within 10 days of the eclipse, I used NOAA READY to look at temperature and downward shortwave radiation flux in GFS forecasts for Atlanta (97% coverage) and a point a bit north of here where it’s total. In the three-hourly data, I cannot see any evidence that they’ve programmed the eclipse in! I could be wrong, but there’s seemingly no effect in those forecasts (in the form of dips in those two outputs).

On the other hand, WXSIM CAN take this into account, and I’m very excited for North American users (including where it’s only partial) to set up the eclipse tool so that the effects will be included. What’s new in Build 1.3 is that I omitted any temperature effect from WXSIM-Lite data during the eclipse, as I didn’t want that “bad” data mixed in during that critical time! Also, I’ve incorporated the new autolearn and wret versions into the installer for both upgrade and demo. To upgrade now, use this

www.wxsim.com/wxsimupg.exe

I can answer questions about the eclipse tool, but it has help with it and maybe you can figure it out anyway.

It will be fascinating to compare forecast versus actual temperature curves on eclipse day!!

Tom

I’ve got the WxSim Eclipse Tool set up and ready to see it’s results Monday. For those wanting to use it, here’s some info I found helpful in setting it up.

1. To use the tool, open WxSim, click on Start, then Auto Run and Other Settings. You’ll see a box on the right side of the dialog box called Plan Solar Eclipse. Click on that.
  2. You’ll be asked to provide information about the eclipse at your location. A good source I found that will provide that is at: https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/map/2017-august-21.
  3. After entering the necessary information, click the box next to ‘Use This Eclipse’, then click OK to close.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Hi Tom,

I have a request for you. Is there any possibility that WXSIM can plot the entire GFS ensemble in a graphic? I have something like the attached in mind.