Davis Data Logger Driver--RESOLVED!

UPDATE: The problems getting data from the Davis Data Logger were resolved by a new version (still identified as 10.37-286) that Brian provided a link to in comment 13 (August 9) below.

I am having no success getting data from the Davis Vantage Pro 2 Console to WD. I have the usb logger and am running version 37-286 of Weather Display.

When WD boots it appears to see the logger and the update window appears, but no data is transferred and once the update is ‘done’ WD receives no data.

I installed the Davis (really Silicon Labs) usb driver with bad results. With the driver installed and the data logger plugged into the usb port on my Mac Book, WD starts up and immediately fails with no error, no screens other than the initial screen showing version and config information. I mean it quits in maybe 3 seconds. If I unplug the data logger, WD boots and looks for the logger.

I see NOW that the driver is from 2011 and perhaps it is incompatible with El Capitan OSX. UPDATE: I have now installed the latest Silicon Labs driver–did an uninstall, then install and then reboot with the same results.

So, here are my questions:

1. Is the driver needed? If not, how do I remove it?

2. Do I need to configure a com port? I think not, but I am asking?

3. Any suggestions for how to get the data?

Thanks

I would try running WD from a terminal window and see if it provides any clues as to whats happening on startup.

You do need to figure out which com port the USB has selected (device manager in Windows, mac :dontknow:) and set that same com port in WD.

Don’t know if it applies to mac but in the windows version if you ever ran weatherlink you need to be sure that the logger hasn’t gotten set to USBXpress mode that cannot connect with WD.

what you need to do is delete the entry in the WD settings for the com port you have selected
in the wdisplay.ini settings file (when WD is not running)
try that

Thanks Brian, and everyone else, getting closer I think, but the problem persists.

When running version 10.37-286 I see this in the debug information:
Loaded all time records
Loaded units
Comport open OK
connected OK to com port /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART
*sending DMPAFT
Asking for archived data download
re starting download, timer
*sending DMPAFT
*sending DMPAFT
*sending DMPAFT
*sending DMPAFT
Aborted
All data downloaded or did not sync correct!
formating the VP data
vp data read in 1
Comport open OK
Weather station type number 31
restart real ftp counter 5

The com port is correct.

Looks like WD is asking for the data, but not getting it. I aborted the download, but have also waited for it to time out.

I have reinstalled version 286 and that did not help.

I have deleted the Davis com port settings in weatherdisplay.ini and that appears to have had no effect. There was nothing in the ini identifying the com port as “com port /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART”.

I have run 10-37-24 and (wait for it!) WD gets the data from the Vantage Pro over the usb interface!

So, something is wrong (obviously) with my 286 configuration.

What’s next?

Bill

Two silicon lab drivers are listed in the ComPort window in version 10.37-286, but only one is shown in .24 which works. I am attaching a screenshot.

Is that what others see in -286?

try selecting the .cu type

Brian, I would like to say “Of course I was using the cu driver.”, but I can’t.

So, I ran setup again to make sure I selected the cu driver. I did and then I saved.

I rebooted the Mac.

Still no success.

Here is the output of the debug information:

Loaded all time records
Loaded units
Comport open OK
*sending DMPAFT
logfile count 0
*sending DMPAFT
logfile count 0
*sending DMPAFT
logfile count 0
*sending DMPAFT
logfile count 0
logfile count 0
*sending DMPAFT
logfile count 0
*time out with requesting DMPAFT
Aborted
All data downloaded or did not sync correct!
formating the VP data
vp data read in 1
Comport open OK
Weather station type number 31
logfile count 3
restart real ftp counter 1
**** running cronftpreal /Applications/weatherdisplay.app/Contents/Resources/cronftpreal
asking for loop data now 7:47
logfile count 3
restart real ftp counter 1
logfile count 3

Here is what the comport settings look like in weatherdisplay.ini:

[Comport]
use tcpip meteohub=no
reset once=no
reset every hour=no
no temp sensor=no
dallas rain=no
use dallas speed=no
use dallas speed 2=no
use dallas speed 3=no
use dallas speed 4=no
use dallas speed 5=no
new ads dir=no
use 1wire 2nd speed=no
use dallas speed ads=no
use dallas speed vortex=no
use gillwinsonic=no
use with windworks dir=no
use with windworks=no
use dallas speed 6=no
normal hum=no
normal indoor=no
check for release=no
duration=5
use tcpip vp ip=192.168.0.101
use tcpip vp port=22222 UPDATE: I changed this back to 3 with no effect. I rebooted and the same output in debug as shown above.
use tcpip vp release=no
use tcpip vp=no

I would have thought that the comport settings would list the cu driver?

It is almost as if the settings are not being saved.

If I choose comport in the Control Panel it pops up a window saying the cu com port is open.

Since there is always a risk that the problem is on the Davis side of things, I downloaded the trial WeatherSnoop and it grabs the data, so I think is something I am doing.

Thanks for all the attention.

Bill

use tcpip vp port=22222 UPDATE: I changed this back to 3 with no effect. I rebooted and the same output in debug as shown above.
that is not the com port number setting that is the port for the tcpip (which is set to not to be used)

have you tried setting the switch under control panel, data logger, to off, then restart WD (so that only live data is read at start up)
also check what the barometer offset you have set in WD

also note that the start up shows that the com port is being opened ok (and the cu port)

that setting is in the wdisplayftp.ini file
under
[Comport]
mac usb name=

you could try deleting that (when WD is not running)
then reselect the com port driver

maybe you have set to use VP ultimeter setting under control panel , CWOP setup, altimeter settings

I run with Weathercat most of the time and it doesn’t have issues. However, I do use on two platforms (parallels, ) the PC version of WD as well as the mac version.

did you select the driver rather than the blue tooth? see attachment for some reason , it defaults to the bluetooth and I am not sure why. that location is control panel/ comport

sometimes I find I have to unplug the cable from the tail of the logger, wait a few seconds and then plug it back in so that the computer remembers or discovers the logger. geez but check the comport that you select as attached

Thanks, I have definitely selected the /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART. WD says it is open.

i have now installed version 286 on three macs and it does not work on any of them.

First, I installed on the iMac on which I have been running WD for at least five years up to last summer when I stopped. 286 does not work and the earlier messages show the debug output in 286. BUT, if I run 10.37-24 on the same iMac it sort of works. Just now it downloaded from the Davis logger information from August 5 up to today. It then does not get the current data.

Second, I installed 286 on a MacBook Pro which had at least one earlier version of WD. No luck with 286. WeatherSnoop works on this machine, so I am pretty sure the problem is not with the Davis console or the uart to usb.

Third, I installed on my wife’s iMac since it would be a clean install (10.37-286 and version 5.0 (brand new in the last few days) of the Silicon Labs driver). Same results as on the first iMac and the MacBook Pro. For this installation I only chose the language, comport (yep it is the /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART port, and the Davis Vantage Pro with the default station settings.

After version 24 stopped getting data, I unplugged the cable from the logger, waited several seconds and plugged it back in. No change–nothing.

I have not tested running the Windows version using bootcamp, but I may. UPDATE: AFTER I posted this I booted the iMac that has WD versions 24 and 286 installed on it into Windows 10 and installed WD (latest from this site) and the latest Silicon Labs uart driver. I did setup for WD and chose Com port 3. WD immediately starting getting data from the Davis console. No surprise I guess.

Any other suggestions, requests for information or commiseration would be greatly appreciated.

with the vanilla install of WD on a mac
do you see any errors under view, program event log?

in testing here I was getting an error under view, program event log (that was the clue)
I have fixed that error
download a new update
http://www.weather-display.com/downloadfiles/weatherdisplaynew.dmg

Brian, the new version seems to have solved the issue. WD downloaded the data from the logger and has been getting data for 30 minutes.

Thank you very much 8)

I will mark this thread as RESOLVED if it works for a few hours.

that’s good
it was just 1 line of code
and was 1 letter missing from 1 variable name
(which must have got deleted by accident-> lets blame the cat that sometimes sleeps on the keyboard) 8O

took a while to track down