Average Exceeds Gusts when Wind Speed Offset is used

I had observed this problem before, and I “think” I may have stumbled across the cause. After determining that our sensor was reading the windspeed about 15% too slow, I adjusted the Speed and Gust offsets by that amount. After making this adjustment, the “average line” on the graph is always higher that any gust reading (by the 15%amount).

Is there a different way to make this adjustment?

Chris

there is an offset for either average or gust or just the one to cover both
have you set an offset for the gust
also which version/build of WD and weather station type

Sensor: Acurite 5in1 - 1025
WD Version: 10.37S54

First, I set both the “Windspeed” and “Gustspeed” offsets to the same value. (perhaps that was the incorrect approach). Doing this resulted in the the green “average” line being above the gust/lull lines.

Yesterday, I turned those off (set them both to zero), and then set the “Speed offset for a certain direction” and used the same percentage, but set the direction range from “0” to “360”. The wind has been very light since I made that change, but I think the “average” line is still above the gust/lull lines.

What is the best way to apply a overall percentage increase?

Chris

I can only see two options: one for average, and one for gust. I haven’t found an option that does both. I have tried setting both of those, and still get the average showing higher than the gusts.

I did try setting both the gust offset and average offset to 0, and then set the offset for the specific direction (from 0 to 360), but that as well only boosted the average.

Chris

Maybe that depends on station type, but I’m looking at 37S55 and only see:

Windspeed offset
Gustspeed offset
Speed offset for certain direction

No average.

niko, I miss stated the name of the options, you are correct.

In either case, setting both “Windspeed” and “Gustspeed” together, still leaves the green average line above the gusts. Setting the speed offset for a certain direction (with the other two options set to 0) still leaves the average green line above the gusts.

Chris

What happens if you just set the windspeed one?

Setting only the Windspeed Offset results in the same behaviour.

Maybe something to do with the way the acurite sends wind data. One for Brian anyway…