No Satellite Internet in UK?

Surprised to see this http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-40745533 8O

Hi, I live about 300m meters from a BT telephone exchange & only get 6 Meg download & 0.317 meg upload speed. Bt are not really interested to in install broadband rural parts of the UK. With such a slow upload speed when WD uploads videolasthour/day my internet grinds to to halt, I can live with the 6 meg download speed but the upload is useless. With the amount of money that I have to pay BT I think it’s about time that they got their act together, anyway that’s my moaning done for today.

teal.

a Geo stationary satellite has to be over the equator, and so that is a long way from the UK…

here in NZ we have good (still needs to get better yet) coverage of 4G wireless and it works great

Like I said the 6 meg download is just about OK but the upload is no good, but I cannot do anything about it, I keep sending BT emails about getting it but they do not even reply. :banghead:

teal.

just done a speed test here with my 4G wireless connection at 9:40pm (so a busy time)

speed.png

BT has just offered to make sure everyone in the UK has at least 10 Mbps by 2020 - see http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40751449 - that’s their idea of fast. They keep saying that people are moaning about access but don’t want to pay the extra for fibre (up to 76 Mbps because it’s only “fibre to the nearest cabinet” and copper thereafter), but that option is not available everywhere, either. I get 53 down and 10 up on BT Infinity. . . at a price! Apparently it’s only 80/20 at the cabinet, about 1 km away.

It says 10 meg’s but that will download the up load will be a lot lower, 10 meg. upload, I dream of speeds like that, Like I said I can see the exchange from here, the wires come under ground then above ground to next door & then to mine, so I’m the second house on the line from the exchange but still only can get about 6 meg’s.

teal.

Teal.

Reason I was surprised is that satellite broadband is an established, if last resort, service here and someone getting it wouldn’t be a news item :lol:

Err, I know of a few operations that use satellite broadband in the UK for access to kit remote locations or as a backup to a single land based line, nothing new here. I guess not many private individuals may use it though.

The reason its a news item is purely because of the lack of service from BT, its not really because of satellite, the media saw an op to dig at BT and took it :slight_smile: Satellite has been here a good few years now, still very expensive, I would always recommend anyone on little to no broadband to use 3g or 4g, all you need is a package from Three mobile that does the unlimited data and an old Omnia windows 6.5 phone and set it up for internet sharing, you cannot use new phones that have wifi hotspots because they do not like you using the data thats meant to be for a phone in this way, but the new tech cannot distinguish the difference on older tech, so its posible, if its 3g+ then its quite adequate, i was able to download and upload ok on it, not the best, but it sure as hell beat those Sat prices.

Hi,
I am 2km from local exchange and am told that we will get no upgrade of our present 7meg service due to there being no plans to site a cabinet nearby. I am just awaiting a final site survey by a local (Dundee) company before getting a 50meg down/50meg up service via wireless broadband - all for about

White space broadband - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40580888 - has been trialled here and may provide a quicker temporary solution for remote areas.

The answer they came up with for the remote areas & islands of Western Scotland: http://www.tegola.org.uk/hebnet/
When I’ve been on the islands of Rum & Muck, I couldn’t get a good mobile signal but I could stream a movie on my tablet! :smiley:

wireless is the future
they are not interested in upgrading or even maintaining copper wires

Microsoft is promoting whitespace here in the U.S.

That’s a huge issue here, the copper network is rotting away :frowning: Relatively expensive wireless is my only (almost) broadband option, 5 GHz link via a local mountain top:

cpdish.jpg

I’m 5km away from a Fibre enabled exchange 15 miles West of Aberdeen in Midmar/Sauchen (hardly the back of beyond) and was leading a Community funded project with BT to install another fibre cabinet near the local School & Village hall until the Scottish Government got involved & stopped it. Clueless doesn’t even begin to describe Digital Scotland and the Scottish Government. We get <2Mbps download on a good day and several neighbours get <1Mbps! Upload is hopeless. Fortunately I stumbled across 3G/4G wireless broadband and despite having a very poor signal on phone handsets even outdoors, with an external antenna on my roof and a 4G modem with an “All you can Eat” SIM card package from Three I get 90Mbs down (yes 90!) & something like 40Mbps up. I’m almost in line of sight of a Mobile mast 5km away. Happy Days! I used 1.05Tb of data in last 6 months!!! My WD uploads were regularly failing for last 2-3 years with videolastday files etc but when I switched to mobile it all works great. As Brian says I suspect Wireless is the future for rural areas like ours. Aberdeenshire Council sent a letter 2 months ago instructing us to install Satellite if we wanted faster broadband. When I spoke to them they admitted they had no idea what the plans in rural Scotland are as its all up for consultation now. The R100 plan will probably be talked about for a few more years before anything happens. My advice is get Wireless if you can get a signal 8)