Ultimeter v WD

I need some help. I have WD 10.37R Build 16 running on a PC connected to a Peet Bros 2000 Ultimeter. About a week ago it went off line following a power bump. I have a feeling that some settings might have gotten jacked up, but I’m unable to find the information I need to fix the problem. Here are the knowns.

• Ultimeter is OK. Packet sniffer shows it’s sending out on the serial port the data. (would be nice to confirm what mode it needs to be in.)
  • Computer is receiving serial data OK. Packet sniffer shows good, formatted data coming in.
  • When Weather Display is run, it comes up with blank fields for a while, then populates data which is not consistent to Ultimeter data. For example, it’s 61f now, and it shows 74f. Not sure where it’s getting that from.
  • Weather Display shows good serial port (COM-1) and at the bottom both “LEDs” are green.
  • If I let Weather Display run for a couple of hours, there is no data change, and the graphs will all be a straight line.
  • Weather Display will update the web as it’s always done. (You can see it at Limaweather.com)

Does anyone have an FAQ for setting up the Weather Display with the Ultimeter 2000. As I mentioned, I think something got changed when the PC rebooted in the power bump. A doc which shows the boxes that need to be ticked would be great!

Fred

Hi Fred,
This may or may not have anything to do with your Ultimeter/WD problem but are you also running a Peet Weather Picture? I do and was having erroneous readings in WD but not the Weather Picture and after daily contact with Peet Bros in Florida we found the problem and you’ll have a hard time believing it. It was the power supply for the Weather Picture, that little cube, and when I replaced it the problem stopped. My bad readings in WD were way out, however, like 98 MPH wind gusts etc. #-o Good luck.
Jim (N0FTC, formerly from Massillon)

No, I just have the Ultimeter 2000 and the PC, and that’s it.

Data is good going into the PC. I just don’t think WD is processing the data coming in

The only thing I can think of is something got changed in the power bump in config. Attached is a screen shot of what my WD looks like, as well as the config screen.

Is there any way to verify these settings?

is the barometer accuated on the ultimeter 2000 itself?

I see you have WD set to complete record mode.
You have to make sure the data coming out of the Ultimeter is in the same mode. It could have changed by the power failure.
Tom

Yes. Calibrated that, as well as verified all the other readings.

The Ultimeter is set the same way, per page 40 of the manual. I’ve also tried taking it out of Complete Mode, and putting it back into Complete Mode.

What is odd is; where is it picking up the wrong readings from? The Weather Display is reading something like 71.3 degrees (f) for a temp, although the Ultimeter is showing the correct temperature, and will vary while Weather Display stays static at 71.3.

Fred

There is something I don’t understand about the software. Note the first image. I’ll set the barometer to the correct reading in setup.

But when viewing the barometer it’s 29.911, although I set it to 30.16.

Restarted program. Rebooted the machine. Did a complete power off then on, and it still reads 29.911.

Where is it getting this data from? Any Ultimeter users out there?

Fred

the barometer offset is an offset
not what you want the barometer reading to be

Correct. I can pot in 30.11, 10, -10, or any number and save it, and Weather Display will still not change the reading you see at LimaWeather.com

This is the same on winds, temp, etc.

I wish someone knew where Weather Display was picking up the data/numbers which it’s inserting into the display.

It’s almost like Weather Display is stuck or buggy, and it’s taking something which is stuck somewhere, and ignoring the Ultimeter 2000.

Anyone have any ideas?

its just showing the last good values, that’s all

you do not want a barometer offset like 30 inches
and barometer offset is an offset, ie the difference between what the weather station is showing and what the correct sea level barometer reading should be

set the barometer offset to 0 for now
and then restart WD

then you can also set WD to log the raw data from the station, see under setup, advanced/misc
and then you can email me the file, rawultimeterdata.txt and your wdisplay.ini settings file

At this point I would be happy to wipe a decade of data out and start fresh. I realize the “offset”, but as I mentioned to you, I can put in a 1, a -1, or 30.11, and nothing changes on Weather Display. Every reading you see on http://www.limaweather.com is what it was back on 23 July 2017 when it stopped.

I have to believe one of two things has happened. Either a config file which is used to link the Ultimeter 2000 to Weather Display is grunged and Weather Display doesn’t know what to do, or something (a file) is open or bad and preventing Weather Display from accepting the information.

Since there is no documentation on what the setup should look like, (see images above), and nobody sees an error, I have to assume that Weather Display doesn’t know what to do with incoming data. And it seems to me that it must be something simple as in the config file, or Weather Display being blocked from interpreting incoming data.

Bottom line, I need some better information on the config or what could be blocking Weather Display. I’ve been off line now for 4 days and don’t have any leads on how to fix the problem.

Weather Display was trucking along nicely for years, something is now causing it to be very deaf.

If there are any Ultimeter 2000 or 2100 users out there;

1. What do you set your Ultimeter’s data port to? “Data Logging Mode”, or “Complete Record Mode”?
  2. In the config for Weather Display, (see image), do you use “Short”, “Medium”, or “Long Data”?
  3. And do you use the "Complete Record Mode (default) in your config?

Fred

HOLD OFF ON REPLIES. An Ultimeter user contacted me and I’m trying what he suggested.

July 27, 2017 13:26: Fixed.

did you see my post above about sending me the raw data file and WD settings file?
so that I could find out what was going wrong

but sounds like you have fixed it
would be good if you could share what the fix was, so that others could learn from it, if the same thing happened to them

I did see it, and I e-mail the file. I didn’t hear back from you till seeing this post.

none of your emails that I got from you had those files
and instead the emails were about that you were not getting any help, after after my post above

E-mail was sent to Brian Hamilton [email protected] dated 7/27/2017 4:16 PM (EDST US), and had the attachment.

Either the e-mail was lost in cyberspace or perhaps a spam filter saw it as a threat.

The software is running. The only thing that seems to be not working at present is rain total. We got .06" last night, and my station shows .00". I’m working on that this morning.