WD for Linux and Davies Vantage Vue

Does anyone know if the Davis Vantage Vue station will work ok with WD for Linux, if it does then I will buy the linux program.

I am going to answer my own question here:

I am trying to get WD to work on my Ubuntu 64bit box, but the install falls at the first hurdle.

When I do ./GoWeather.sh it returns this:
./WeatherD: error while loading shared libraries: libX11.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

So that’s that then.

It works on my Trusty64 distro.

So the question is not if the Vantage Vue works but if the WD works on a Linux PC. As the error message suggests, your OS misses the libraries. Look for them ( e.g. /usr/lib/ or /usr/local/lib ) Sometimes one has to use 32-bit libraries with 64-bit system.

For your particular error message, try to install these (or part of them) packages:

sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-0 libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 libfontconfig1 libxrender1 libx11-6 libglib2.0-0  libxft2 libfreetype6 libc6 zlib1g libpng12-0 libstdc++6-4.8-dbg-arm64-cross libgcc1 

Hope it helps.

it has to be a 32 bit distro (there are many threads about this), unless you can get some compatibility mode

When I run this:
sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-0 libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 libfontconfig1 libxrender1 libx11-6 libglib2.0-0 libxft2 libfreetype6 libc6 zlib1g libpng12-0 libstdc++6-4.8-dbg-arm64-cross libgcc1

It returns this:
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
Package libstdc++6-4.8-dbg-arm64-cross is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

Package libpng12-0 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package ‘libpng12-0’ has no installation candidate
E: Package ‘libstdc++6-4.8-dbg-arm64-cross’ has no installation candidate

I would really like to get WD running in my Ubuntu box, but it si just not happening yet, but thanks anyway for the link

@mihec, when you look for the libx11, in /usr/lib there is a x11 file, and that’s it. I don’t know if that is the file that is in the error msg I got previously.

In /usr/local/lib. there are no lib files

I’ve just grabbed the latest download from the weather-display.com site and run with no issues. I’ve probably had the libraries set up previously.

This is the content of the /usr/local/lib directory:

user@laptop:~/Downloads/wdisplay$ ls -la /usr/local/lib/
total 3192
drwxr-xr-x  4 root root     4096 Jul 18 13:59 .
drwxr-xr-x 11 root root     4096 Dec  8  2016 ..
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root    31012 Jul 18 13:59 libcomold.so
-rw-r--r--  1 root root    36301 Jul 18 13:59 libcom.so
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root    54691 Jul 18 13:59 libhid.so
-rw-r--r--  1 root root    54691 Jul 18 13:59 libhid.so.0
-rw-r--r--  1 root root    57342 May 25  2016 libhid.so.0.0
-rw-r--r--  1 root root    57342 May 25  2016 libhid.so.0.0.0
-rw-r--r--  1 root root  2838071 Jul 18 13:59 liblunar.so
-rw-r--r--  1 root root    44328 Jul 18 13:59 libusbdll.so
drwxrwsr-x  4 root staff    4096 Nov 23  2016 python2.7
drwxrwsr-x  3 root staff    4096 May 20  2015 python3.4

I suggest you copy all the files in the /wdisplay/deploy/ directory to /usr/local/lib/

sudo scp ~/wdisplay/deploy/* /usr/local/lib/

I’m using trusty64 distro.

If it still doesn’t work, post the output of the GoWeather.sh script.

I checked my /usr/lib/ directory for the libX11, I actually have two directories, namely:

/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/

and the libX11.so in both directories (many files).

Try this:

sudo apt-get install libx11-6
sudo apt-get install libx11-6:i386

I copied the lib files as per this
sudo scp ~/wdisplay/deploy/* /usr/local/lib/
but I don’t have as many files, only 6 lib files, and the libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0 is not there.

When I run:
./GoWeather.sh
it returns this:
./WeatherD: error while loading shared libraries: libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0: casudo scp ~/wdisplay/deploy/* /usr/local/lib/nnot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I ran these 2 commands:
sudo apt-get install libx11-6
sudo apt-get install libx11-6:i386
and the second one downloaded the said file.

The libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0 and libkdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0.3600.4 files are here:

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0.3600.5

and here:
/snap/vlc/4/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0
/snap/vlc/4/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0.3600.4

How can I get around this:
error while loading shared libraries: libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0: casudo scp ~/wdisplay/deploy/* /usr/local/lib/nnot open shared object file:

Any linux guys who can help me out with this:

How can I get around this:
error while loading shared libraries: libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0: casudo scp ~/wdisplay/deploy/* /usr/local/lib/nnot open shared object file:

I guess it’s looking for these libraries in the/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/ directory. So you should install the :i386 version of the libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0 (and the ones that are reported missing).

I think your posted your error message with some other text mixed in.

It would help if I knew whereabouts it was looking for them

I have just installed installed the libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0_2.36.5-2_i386.deb file and ./GoWeather still can’t find them or it

@mihec
Out of interest, what version of linux are you using, as I am using Ubuntu 17.04 x64

I’m using 14.04 64bit.

mihec, could you please look in /wdisplay/deploy and list the lib files you have.

I have these files:
~/wdisplay/deploy$ ls
libcomold.so libcom.so libhid.so libhid.so.0 liblunar.so libusbdll.so

I am trying to find out if ./GoWeather is looking for the libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0 in the /wdisplay/deploy directory, as that is mentioned in the error message I got.

Thanks

Just an update in that I have manage to get a list of around 8 or 9 lib files which are dependencies for the WeatherD file, down to just 3 lib files now.

Oh and I know that./GoWeather is not looking in the /deploy directory now.

Just an update here:
I have managed to install around 9 or 10 x32 lib files which WeatherD depends on, and just more left to get and install.
Fingers crossed I may get wd up and running this week on my Ubuntu machine.

I managed to get all of the lib files installed to the i386-linux-gnu directory, and then startted WD, as it did so there multiple lines of error messages.
It started with: cannot write to station, over and over, finishing with: Permission denied. Next was (WeatherD:10227): Gtk-Critical **: IA_gtk_object_get_data: assertion ‘GTK_IS_OBJECT (object)’ failed.
Then there was (WeatherD:10227) Glib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 322 was not found when attempting to remove it, over and over again, andfinishe that with
[FORMS.PP] ExceptionOccured
Sender=EAccessViolation

And there were more violations and errors.

I also installed WD for linux on a 32bit version of Mint, and it was exactly the same. Now whether it was because my station is a Davis Vantage Vue, I don’t know.

it probably needs more work on my part

the key will be with the permission denied
check the permissions on the folder where WD is installed, and specificly the wdisplay.ini settings file (you could try deleting that)
The compiler I use for the windows version now has the ability to create a linux version
but it would cost be 2000$ to upgrade
and since I get no donations for the linux versions, that is not happening

I did change the permissions after I posted the previous message, as per this:
http://wiki.weather-watch.com/index.php/Linux_Weather_Display_Manual.

Just for clarification, do you mean I could try deleting the wdisplay.ini file, as I’m not sure about that?

Then I ran ./GoWeather.sh , and as it loaded up there were many error lines relating to both the Gtk and Gdk lib files
ie:
(WeatherD:11643): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: “murrine”,

and:
Failed to load module “canberra-gtk-module”
[HINT] TWinControl.CreateWnd creating Handle during loading MainForm:TMainForm csDesigning=False

(WeatherD:11643): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_drawable_get_size: assertion ‘GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)’ failed
Form resource TFormtimer1 not found. For resourceless forms CreateNew constructor must be used. See the global variable RequireDerivedFormResource.

(WeatherD:11643): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_drawable_get_size: assertion ‘GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)’ failed.

I ran this cmd:
ldd WeatherD to see what dependencies it needed, then installed the i386 versions of those that were not found, untill there no more missing or incorrect lib files

I have loaded up WD again for linux and when I choose the com port setup, Com 1 is selected by default, and when I click on the Refresh list of COM ports, nothing happens. This may relate to the errors I was getting.

As much as I would like WD to run on my linux machine, I somehow doubt it will now.
It was a worthwhile exercise for me to try and get WD running, and now know that it won’t run on my linux machine as it is now.

For what its’ worth, I was also getting similar or same errors on a 32 bit version of linux mint 18.2.
I wondered if the errors are a result of the lib files which are installed are to new for WD for linux, as in WD was meant to run on older versions of the said lib files.

the errors are just to do with the GTK GUI library used , and I think is related to the fonts used on some of the screens in WD

so just ignore them though
re the com port, that uses the standard tty list of available ports command
see if that works or see what that returns