GFS 2017 update

Hello,

do you think that the following changes in GFS input/output (starting 19/7/2017 12Z run) will affect WXSIM import data?

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/os/notification/scn17-67gfsupgrade.htm

Thank you.

Marian

Thanks for mentioning this. I don’t think it will cause any problems (hopefully it will just be more accurate), but I’ll check!! :slight_smile:

Tom

Hi Tom -

I just received an error 6 in wxmain (wxsim) after the 12z GFS model update.

So maybe a few parameters were altered in the gfs update?

After reading the (noaa) notification, it appears to be a major update to the gfs model.

Same error here when my 1800a forecast ran. The 06z GFS was the last good one.

Tom,

Same error #6 here. #-o

Jeff

Tom,

Same error 6 in wxmain as others have reported.

Steve

Yep, error 6!

same error here

chuck

Hi Tom,

Also here with me in Sauwerd The Netherlands

Piet

Same at my station in Denmark.

Sendt fra min SM-G950F med Tapatalk

Same issue here… error 5, error6 repeating then a fatal overflow error

Same problems here.

Brgds,

Oebel
Assen, the Netherlands

Same here:
“error 5 and error 6 in wxmain” and run hangs at 1 %

MikeyM

So far I’ve not had any issues with WXSim, WXSimLite however is reporting bad data on the 12Z file when imported. I am using McMahon data in WXSim btw.

Stuart

Took a look at the 12Z GFS data downloaded by WxSim-Lite. If I’m reading the “wspd” column correctly, it’s forecasting 500-plus MPH winds. Perhaps that is what’s causing our problem.

Steve

That’s interesting because the McMahon data shows valid wspd values potentially which is what I use for WXSim. I just checked Bohler data for WXSim and that looked OK. So at least for me the eror is in WXSimLite.

Stuart

I was having the same hanging problem, then switched to McMahon and got a good forecast.

• Jim
I was having the same hanging problem, then switched to McMahon and got a good forecast.

Ditto …

Jeff

I’m getting error #5 in wxmain, and error #6 in wxmain.

My forecasts are not completing.

Rick

www.MohawkValleyWeather.com

OK, checking into this! I had asked Sam about whether the changes should affect our script. He thought they wouldn’t, but maybe they did!

I’ll update soon …

Tom