Revamping WXSIM web page - ideas?

Hi Everybody,

I am doing a LONG DUE overhaul of my web page, both in appearance and content. One thing this gives me a chance to do is update the list of users’ web sites, so send me links if you’d like yours listed. I’m also interested in striking a balance of showing enough detail and information to pique the interest of possible users, but not scare them off! (I know the program can be intimidating in its apparent - or real - complexity). I’m thinking of a slideshow running, with some program output, but also some scenes of possible applications (farming, hobbyists, interesting weather scenes, etc.). Generally, the appearance will be substantially modernized. I’m hoping to finish this in the next couple of weeks. I’m all ears! :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Tom

OK, my suggestion - could you include some documentation for the SW? In particular I mean for example the possible strings in the forecast etc. It would make it much easier to work with the log files, localization etc.

Thanks, Jachym! :slight_smile: Can you clarify a bit more? By strings, do you mean data types, outputs, names of things?

Hello Ears,

It’s been a while, nice seeing you come up for air after getting those knowledgeable folks out of their desk, out the door & back to mommies basement.

Sorta off topic, but where is the discussion at, or has it fell through the cracks, about bringing other models, such as the ETA into the mix?

As always, I greatly appreciate you & your product & wxsim remains in the top 5 of my weather tools, on my weather-tool belt.

tbrasel

Hi Tim,

“Ears” here! :slight_smile: I’m not sure how far back that discussion might have been. I was talking some about including some European models (not the ECMWF itself) but haven’t gotten to that yet. Meanwhile ETA (NAM) is already available in a way, via FOUS. It’s got only 6 hour resolution, but I think it helps in combination with GFS. Oh, I had thought about getting that in the same format as the GFS … but it’s a big job and I haven’t managed that yet (I pretty much need Sam Bohler’s help on that, and he’s pretty slammed at work these days).

Tom

Hi jachym,
do you mean this type of thing. May need updating as it’s old.

Good morning,

@BeaumarisWX
The current version of that documentation can be found at Clientraw - Script developers info
I was not aware that the documentation you are referring to is outdated could be outdated. As I am updating the Leuven-wxsim scripts immediately after the NWS/NOAA cut-over, I will check again shortly.

@tom
Please add to the new wxsim site a “script-developers page” with more “cleaned” versions of

1. http://www.wxsim.com/wxphrases
  2. http://www.wxsim.com/weatheralgorithm.txt

For users of your fine product: add a “how to” with Q&A’s , especially as the name and locations of settings can be different in wret, wxsim and wxsimate. Some examples:
a. set times in lastret at 00 and 30 minutes after the hour
b. set autorun (leave the scripts running!)
c. set the number of days of forecast data
d. how to find documentation => help (blue text) + help file + wxsimquickstart.pdf

As not all wxsim users are meteo-professionals and “just” want a better forecast in a nice graphical website-page you could add a simplified and shorter version of http://www.wxsim.com/wxsimquickstart.pdf to be used by casual users.

Wim

Thanks, Wim. I will see what I can do about adding a script developers’ page, and more generally, I should have something there about thrid party scripts, anyway. I have not been very good about keeping up with those. Can you, or anyone, summarize for me what the scripts are, which WXSIM output files they use, and the links for users to get these scripts? I know some of this already, but I probably have gaps and want to be able to make a complete listing. For starters, I know of PHP scripts by you, Ken True, and Jim McMurry (the accuracy coaprison script). Maybe there’s more?

Thanks!

Tom

Can you, or anyone, summarize for me what the scripts are, which WXSIM output files they use, and the links for users to get these scripts?
These are the ones which should be added to the list also:

henkka (weatherc at the forums) from Nordic weather maintains two different WXSIM graphical 3in1 scripts using plaintext and lastret
More info and downloads at: Weather-related scripts

Rob / Wellingtonweather (welly at the forum) maintains WxSimCSV which uses latest.csv.
Downloads a.s.o. at http://www.wellingtonweather.co.uk/downloads/

I myself maintain a graphical WXSIM script using plaintext and either lastret or latest.csv
Demo, documentation and download at: http://www.weerstation-leuven.be/demo/demoWXSIM.php?lang=en

Those scripts can be used “Stand-alone” such as a complete separate page in a website, or integrated in a template (Leuven and Saratoga) or, with a small effort, integrated in almost any existing website.

Yachym maintains WXSIM scripts to be used inside his successful MeteoTemplate. I think Jachym is using latest.csv also.

There are others but I do not quickly remember the names now.

Wim

Hi,
Would it be correct and also worth mentioning that some scripts using “Latest.csv” do not accommodate the adjustment for sites which observe Day Light Saving (DST), as “Latest.csv” are not adjusted to DST.
Wim, with your ref to my earlier post.
I did not state that the information was Outdated, all I said was that it may need updating. That was actually based purely on the fact that the images I supplied where in fact old images I had on file and did not have live scripts. to display same, I was just trying to assist with Jachym’s question knowing full well you may eventually respond / and you did. :slight_smile:
Thanks for the info as well.
Kind regards,

@BeaumarisWX
Sorry for the wrong wording, again the problem of a non-native English person trying to be as clear as possible. I fully understood your remarks but worded it to blunt. I adapted the post.
In the mean time I scanned a few hundred wxsim files and found some differences. But there is not that much wintery conditions found yet. So I will try to update the documentation a.s.a.p.

Wim

Hi Wim,
I also fully understand, there was no problem matey. I was just trying to clarify the statement.
All good, you did not have to amend the post, but thank you anyway.
kind regards,

Hi Tom,
I meant for example the plaintext file, I was trying to make a script to translate this, but the problem is that I am not sure I have seen files which had all the possible phrases/words, so if there are some extra which just didnt happen to be in those files I have seen, it would not be translated.

Hi Tom,

Just to expand on my earlier comment regards “Latest.csv” and the fact it does not supply “DST” Time adjustments. (and yes I understand why - Too Deep in Back Code).

1: New WXSIM Site : Documentation should state that: for example;

(1:a): “Latest.csv” : Adjusted to “DST” = NO
and
(1:b): “Lastret.txt” : Adjusted to “DST” = YES

2: New WXSIM Site : Documentation should state that: for example; Display Scripts Supplied by : others;

(2:a): Provides scripted adjustment of “Latest.csv” to “DST” = YES (note: "lastret.txt’ already adjusted to “DST”)
or
(2:b): Provides scripted adjustment of “Latest.csv” to “DST” = NO (note: "lastret.txt’ already adjusted to “DST”)

And if not already so, it would be nice if Script providers could state similar in their Script Setup Files : Either in Inline Code or at least in overall Main Setup Statements as per or similar to the above.

The main reason I highlight this, is because over time I have seen many “DST” based weather sites using “Latest.csv” based scripts.

And I am not sure if they actually realise/know that during “DST” they are possibly displaying their time lines an hour (or whatever their DST/Dif is) out (+/-).

And from a Timeline point of view, I mean that if one spends the time and money and effort on WXSIM to eventually produce an output which many of us feel is superior overall to any given local forecast, then why compromise on the timeliness of it’s display. (re: image attached: 1 example only, Displaying my WXSIM output in correct DST = not that I am in “DST” now, but script uses “Lastret.txt”) vs “Latest.csv” because I am in “DST”.

Kind regards,