How much data is transmitted with the new API method?

I have just updated to Jachym’s 14.2 version of MeteoTemplate.

I have turned on the API upload in WD (thanks for the neat and simple setup, Brian) and set the upload rate to every 30 seconds.

I also have the clientraw.txt set too, in order that WDL works and of course that WD’s generated web page is continuing to update regularly.

I see how big of a file clientraw.txt is (not too big) but don’t see anything telling about how big the API load is that is going out every 30 seconds or so. Is it about the same amount of data?

I have a pretty good plan to give me internet access, but was curious how much data I’m sending out every day to the web page. I used to have a program for previous versions of Windows that could give a guess at how much traffic was flowing in and out, but it doesn’t run on the latest Windows.

This is not a big issue, but just curiosity. Thanks Dale

Hi Dale,
WD does not in fact send anything to the server (like a file or so). The API does not use FTP, which was one of my goals to, to get rid of FTP because it is slow and unreliable. Instead the API sends direct HTTP request to the API where all the parameters are passed via the URL, since the parameter labels are just one or two letters we are talking about a URL of maybe 200 characters. This is sent to the api.php and it is then the api.php, which processes it and creates the current conditions file saved on your server in the template root directory as meteotemplateLive.txt. In addition it also saves an apiLog file and if necessary apiErrors file. Server load should be minimal.

yes, its very small amount of data
and it does mean that you can have a meteotemplate site with your data updating fast without needing any ftp program running
that is neat