cloudy cloudy

Author Topic: Davis Aspiration Fan  (Read 499 times)

Offline reggie

• Gloucester, UK
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Chrome 58.0.3029.110
    • www.severntales.co.uk
Davis Aspiration Fan
« on: May 26, 2017, 04:37:49 PM »
I have just had my 2nd Davis aspiration fan fail in the 3 years I have had this expensive kit. I contacted the Davis hotline with questions about the fan and was simply told, "the motors failed, buy a new fan unit". No way was I prepared to part with 54 for another new unit knowing it would fail after 18 months. So I stripped out the silicone which held the old motor in the unit, (simply by melting parts of it with a soldering iron and then cutting the gunge out with a Stanley knife). I then de-soldered the two wires to the contacts and lifted the motor away from the fan blade. From Maplins I purchased a new electric motor (457RE140 Voltage 1.5 to 3 for 5.99). It comes with a bracket which I removed but fitted the two small screws back into the motor body. I had to ascertain the polarity of the motor which I did by fitting the fan blades to the motor spindle, then coupling the motor to a battery. The fan must turn in an anti-clockwise direction so the contacts were marked appropriately. Now to fit the new motor or how was I to fit this new one into the fan unit body? My wife came to my rescue with a simple solution - Plasticine. For 1 I purchased a large packet from a cheap & cheerful shop. Enough was made pliable to fit at the bottom of the fan unit, making sure the fan hole is kept clear. The motor is then pushed into the Plasticine with the spindle fitting into the centre of the fan blades. Around the sides of the motor is packed more Plasticine and finally the original wiring is soldered onto the motor contacts. The moment of fitting into the Davis equipment came and withing 10 minutes it was fitted and working well. It runs so quiet now that I have a job to hear it working but a clue is the cool air passing out of the filter at the base. I hope this is of some help to those of you who like me are loathe to part with good money for something I can buy for 5.99

Offline FLWeather

• Jupiter, FL
  • OS/Browser:
  • iOS 10.3.3
  • Safari 10.0
    • Live Jupiter, FL Weather
Re: Davis Aspiration Fan
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 04:04:35 AM »
Good job man, I've gone through a few of these myself. :)

cumulus