Gone

well it looks like I had better either go with Bootcamp or get something like Parallels and invest in Windows 10 for either . I noticed WD for Mac is no longer on the download page. So if I am going to use it , that is the way to go for me.

WOW…

Just noticed this too.

This is very recent as I grabbed the latest update only a few days ago.

This happened once before and Brian brought it back. I think he was making some changes.

I have MOST back versions. If you have a way to get them to you I can send (i.e. dropbox, or some other FTP site)

Brian, can you confirm this is temporary?

Bootcamp will not work, as a weather-program runs 24/7 and you would loose your iMac. It would be less expensive to buy a small PC and run WD on that.

Parallels or VMware-Fusion will work without a hitch. I had to run 7 different PC programs with VVP on Fusion for years when developing the Leuven-Template. And it ran nice on a old Mac mini from 2011.

Wim

my plan is to upgrade my imac to 16GB, put in a 2 G fusion drive and then go with parallels. I find that 8g on a PC works wonderful but somehow on an imac, it is much slower. I get the spinning beachball often enough.

Firefox for mac uses a gig of memory at the least, so upgrading, then putting in parallels will be the way for me to go. I won’t be entertaining that until July.

Does anyone know why the Mac version has been removed? Is this permanent?

Good morning,
That is a huge investment you are planning, only to use another weather-program as the one you are using now.
The iMac (see attached jpg) I use when typing this, is able to run WeatherCat + Parallels + a hand-full other PC weather-programs + webserver + FTP server. With 8 Gb memory and a normal HDD.
So I sincerely hope that your performance problems will be gone after your upgrades as I suspect it is not the weather-program which is using to much of the iMac resources.

You are currently using a WLIP => WL.Com to get the data to your website. Both the Saratoga- and
the Leuven-Template support that route to feed your website, probably others also.

My question: what is the ROI of that investment in relation to your website? In other words: What are you missing in the data WL.com supplies you with, that only WD for the PC can deliver?
I am asking this because I always want to enhance the template. And I am using WL.com for my private website but I see no ROI to move to another weather-program myself.

And IMHO, to use WD: The smallest, very in-expensive, headless Windows PC is more then adequate to run WD. After initial setup you can leave the device without keyboard a.s.o. somewhere on a shelve and use “remote desktop” incidentally.
Those Intel NUC and similar devices cost less then 200$ on eBay for a brand new fully licenced mini desktop.
That would be half the investment for the iMac expansion and a full Windows licence.
And less recurring costs for electricity and depreciation also.

Wim

imac.jpg

yes it is an investment. I want to be able to monitor the other weather sensors that I do not put up on the web page. WD for PC does that. I can go and see the trends and all the wonderful stuff. Weathercat is good but not the capability of Weatherdisplay.

I have toyed with parallels as there are some programs that I would rather use the PC version as they are better . S

Since you use parallels, I have a question. does it run in the background all the time or can it be turned off much like any app? I could install it. I have attached my configuration. the two external drives are thunderbolt drives, one a 4tb and the other a 6tb. Both G-technology. I do notice that with firefox, my computer runs hot and I have two usb fans running behind the imac to give extra cooling plus moved the drives to a shelf above the whole thing.

Did not test that. At the moment I am running VMware Fusion to test that with a new VirtualMachine and running old DOS an Windows 7 at the same time. Probably the following tests are the same for Parallels.
Test 1: I can suspend any running VM such as Windows. It put that system into sleep mode. Then you can start = wake it again and it continuous to run. The running weather-programs detect that they have to read the logger again as there is to much time past without getting data. WD does that perfectly.
When the running VM’s are at sleep, there is no noticeable delay on the Mac as Fusion is way down in the list of running apps. It seems to not use any resources when there is no VM running.
Test 2: When quitting Fusion it stops = put to sleep all running VM’s and quit itself. Restarting Fusion it loads the VM it was running before I quit the app.
Also there are some extra to start a VM when starting Fusion, do ont use those as i need to decide which tests I run.

I could install it. I have attached my configuration. the two external drives are thunderbolt drives, one a 4tb and the other a 6tb. Both G-technology. I do notice that with firefox, my computer runs hot and I have two usb fans running behind the imac to give extra cooling plus moved the drives to a shelf above the whole thing.
See the attached load/ activity report. I do not know the English app-name. The only strange process is FF which uses even when it is "not used, more CPU-time then the Chrome browser which I use to type this and at the same time to test with MAMPO-pro and external sites.

Maybe stop using FF end do some tests by using Chrome or Safari for a few days. Just to check if there is a difference?

Wim