Several Flat Lines in a Week

Hey Brian

I did put that value back to hourly when i got home yesterday.

When I got up this am I noticed something odd. It appeared to have flat lined. But then around 6am it recovered - as evident in the WD main screen graph.

When I got up at 7am the record counter was working/light blinking. Program event log had an access violation

Current memory used is approx 10gb with total of 16

Anyways, giving you as much info to help you out.

Not sure if this means anything, but wayyy back when for another problem (which I just recollected in the VP import screen) you had me set the data read delay to 800 - does that mean anything?

Thanks

Screen Shot 2017-10-21 at 7.08.52 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-21 at 7.04.30 AM.png

lets try this
I will add option to use an alternative way of getting the data from the usb
as a test

Thanks !!!

I also need to try out B288

Btw

That value in the VP import that way back when you had me changed to 800 - is that OK (read delay)

Also is it OK to put that #29 setting back to 5 mins or do you still want it at an hour?

Thanks

Brian, since Oct 21 I put that value in #29 back to an hour. So far no flat lines. I also held off not going up to B288 (you said not to change too many things at once).

Would it be OK to put value #29 back to 5 minutes - see if that brings the issue back OR i could wait another week to be safe. The flat lines were happening typically once a week minimum I think

If the issue came back, I would think that might help you pinpoint the issue.

Also on that odd issue I had a year or so ago in the data logger screen you had me change the “data read delay” to 800. Do you think that has anything to do with this?

Thanks

the key is not to keep on changing things
otherwise you don’t what helps or does not

i have made a change that might help in the latest WD mac version update

Hey Brian

My WD has been running for just over a week now with that value #29 (in internet file creation uploads) set to 1 hour.

So far no flat lines (I was getting at least one if not more a week prior)

So that could possibly be the cause. If so i hope that helps isolate. I would like to put the value to at least 5 mins (1 min too frequent) as 1 hour impacts with web page times.

I held off applying Build 288 as you said (which I agree) not to do too many things at once. I see you have a new and exciting build 290 which I would like to try.

Finally, back a year or so ago you had me change some data read retry in the data logger screen to 800. Could this be causing any issues? Should it stay at 800 or some other value?

I welcome your input when you can…> Thanks

try the latest build
with no other changes
for now and see how that goes

Done… Up on the latest build - no other changes

Perhaps its because i’m remoted in and hard to see my screen, but looks like the data packet count pauses, then normal a bit, then pauses etc - I will look when I’m home.

So what about that read delay from the logger screen?

So what about that read delay from the logger screen?
I do not think that has any bearing

Hey Brian

I started to write a reply here yesterday but got side tracked and ultimately forgot ):

I was going to say that while I was getting a flat line 1-2 a week, since I changed that value to 1 hour I hadn’t received any in approx 3+ weeks.

UNTIL…

When I woke up this am, I noticed a flat line starting approx 930pm

I noticed the counter wasn’t incrementing. Memory use was approx 10GB (total 16)
I checked program event log and saw some access violations (attached).
I am on the latest build 290

If you need anything else, let me know. Defiantly progress

Hey Brian I know you’ve been super busy with the new versions in the dials review any thoughts on this
I still have the value number 29 said to one hour I am on the latest build is well

not sure what
I still have the value number 29 said to one hour
means

I don’t have it in front of me but it was one of the Internet option in settings you told me to change from one minute to an hour so far it’s helped a lot but as you saw my post I did have a temp flat line

While I was having them once or twice a week I have no other spread out to several weeks if not a month apart which is very good progress

It was Internet file creations Second page Number 29 I Hope that helps
You told me to change it from one or 5 mins to 1hour
This is helping great deal but as you can see I have one kinder instance of a flatline that seemed to recover itself if that makes sense

had another flat line over night

they used to be 1 maybe 2 times a week. Now 1 time every few weeks - which is better :slight_smile:

Any thoughts on troubleshooting this

I believe i saw some access violations in program event log. But those could be from any time since last shut down.

I forgot to check if the record counter was increasing, but assuming it is not

Brian,

I had another flat line last night.

Seems to be the same: no record count increase, various access violations in program event log (but no way to determine what time those were), and all seem to be approx 9-910PM (no known WD events that happen at that time).

I’m on the latest build and still have that value for my web page to update set to 1 hour.

These seem to be increasing again.

Any thoughts or any debugs that can be put in?

Appreciate your help,

not sure
as I do not have other reports of this problem
what else happens on your Mac around 9 to 10 pm?

Thanks, Odd I thought others had had this. I’m in bed by 9pm or so so i’m not doing anything. The only that is running besides WD would be Safari, Itunes (it hosts all my movies and music which I stream around the house), Excel and perhaps Photos. Connected to my mac is my NAS which is always on.

Oh, forgot i’m running Sierra (not high sierra). But this issue has been going on for several prior OS’s. I’m up to date with OS/App updates. Latest version of WD too.

Do the access violations mean anything? There is no timestamp so I don’t know when they are happening. I can send you screenshots of them.

The key is the counter at the bottom of WD stops, thus whatever temp etc WD has at that moment gets carried forward.

Is there any logs or debugging that can be done (by me or via WD) to track this down?

It was happening ALOT until you told me to change that web page setting #29, down to 1 hour vs every minute. Instead of happening few times a week it was down to once every few weeks. Seems to have increased very recently. I have updated WD recently (not saying that is the cause).

Anyways… thats a lot of detail but hope it helps. I’m willing to help in whatever I can as i’m able.

What has sped up the restoration is your help in just deleting the offending lines from Logfile and using the Datalogger setting. However, I have found that if, via the data logger screen, set it to a specific time and then exit WD - when I restart it never retains it. I found that modifying the ini file to the time I want works better.

Hey Brian

I thought of something else that maybe could help a lot.

I will have to check, but I’m pretty sure my Silabs USB Uart driver is a few revs behind.

After tomorrow I am off work until Jan 2 and will have time to verify and install new driver if needed

I had another weird situation today. From the screen shot you can see how WD stopped and restarted many times

Screen Shot 2017-12-12 at 5.24.08 PM.png