Several Flat Lines in a Week

Data is there…

When I reconnect, I get all missing data back

Just odd that I have seen 3 of these within a week.

Hey Brian

WD has been the most stable I have seen for a while. I was on B284 for a long time. Then I started getting flat lines.

I went up to B285 and am still getting them. All at random times. Nothing in program event log.

Any thoughts?

what station do you have? and what data logger do you have?

I have a davis and I am able to sort of scroll through the console as well as I use weathercat on occasion. I essentially use both programs to generate weather data for me then I put it on a spreadsheet.
By scrolling on the date and time on the console, there is a graph of sorts it shows and I can see some of the information. Using other software I can see if it is the logger or software.

That being said, if you exit weatherdisplay and restart it, does it reload your data logger the same

Is there a time trend there , that is so many days or at certain times of the day. I am guessing that Weatherdisplay is reading the data in the logger. I am guessing it is in the logger reading the same data try purging the logger archive and see if it gets better. (kind of like take a tall glass of prune juice, three capfuls of Miralax in it and seeing how the day goes, not that I have done that, I did 2 caps)

Hey there

thanks for the reply…

As stated earlier using a Davis VP2. When I reconnect I get all the data back. So its not a logger issue.

Its either WD or something in my environment (i.e. on my mac).

Happens at random days and times.

I generally close and restart WD throughout the week to keep it fresh and memory low etc

I had yet another flat line.

This and the last 2 or 3 I THINK were around 9pm - not sure if that means anything.

On some of them (including last night) I checked program event log and saw some kind of access violation. I will post that when I get home. I didn’t think too much of that on the others because I think they happened after the flat line. I think they happened after the 6am where it resets the coldest night. Thus I assumed not related. Plus I think I have gotten those before.

Is there any troubleshooting that I can do on my end?

Btw once again hook up to davis VP and all the data is restored !!!

Hello,

It would seem perhaps there is a pattern after all.

The last several have all occurred approx. 21:05.

Program event log has shown some access violations, but i’m not sure if they were there before or not.

FYI…

Still getting them. But since I went down to build 280 not as often

Hello all

I see brian is busy with the high sierra issue.

Anyways, i’m still having a noticeably high amount of flat lines (1-2 a week). I’m on the latest version I have in my possession (b285)

I just noticed a B288 is avail. Any idea what fixes are in this (and in those in between). Of course I could give it a try.

Thanks

I am actively working on WD mac version at the moment
to get the data flowing again, what do you need to do?
i.e go to the com port setup?
(i.e if you go there and click on OK, does the connection get reconnected? i.e the more information you can provide, the better)

Thanks… when this happens I usually don’t notice it until the next am. So I go into my time machine backup and restore the WDIsplay.ini WDISPlayftp.ini and log file - then restart WD all is fine

Never tried what you suggested… Doing that I would not get the historical data from the time of the flat line until I notice it (like I said usually the next day)

I guess I could try that just to see if it reconnects and then also restore the files as mentioned above to get the missing data

What has changed: Sierra and USB driver - FYI

you can still get history data
but setting the time/date to get the data from
under control panel, data logger setup
then restart WD
wether you get the usb data flowing again or not

WOW didn’t even think of that. Thanks, that would save a lot of time. Getting those files from TM backup takes a long time

if you get get the data flowing again via just going to the com port setup and clicking on OK
then that would be good
but I could also change the way the program gets the data to the way the new ported linux version does it. it might be more stable

Hmmm not sure what all that means :slight_smile:

When it happens I have to either get the data back from TM or your suggestion - otherwise the same temp just shows for upwards of a day

Getting the missing data back is important to me.

Hope that helps. Appreciate any help…

yes
but what I was wanting to know is if you can get the data flowing again (before trying to get the missing data)
by simply going to the comport setup and clicking to open the com port there

but we could try this different way of getting the data

Gotcha… Sorry about that. I will give that a try. Often times I notice it 5am when I get up and am out the door in minutes so usually rush it. But I will make every effort to try that out next time

Brian

Had another flat line over night.

I did try to open the com port to see if that helped - it did not.

Another thing I noticed which I never did before and would explain the flat line - the record count at the bottom of the screen was not incrementing

Thanks to you I used the data logger option to reset the time and get all the data back - HUGE time savings vs. TM Backup. However, the graph times
were all messed up - but don’t suspect that matters. I have a screen shot but forgot to send it to myself before I left. I can attach later, but I think you know what I mean.

Hope this helps

what is means is that WD was not getting any more data
re the record count not increasing
that is the sort of detailed information that I need
was the data received light flashing?
was there any errror under view, program event log?

also when setting the time to get the data from and then restarting WD,you would need to have deleted the flat line data from the logfile first so that after you could convert the logfile to data file

I could add to WD to check for the flat line and so to then stop logging the same data all the time…and to also stop updating when WD was not runnning…so a restart it would get the missing data and all would be good

for some reason your usb data is stopping

we could try this other method of getting the data (that I use with the linux version, as well as adding the above flat line check)

Hey Brian… Thanks

Flashing light: didn’t think to check (sorry it was 5am) but suspect not
Program Event log: again didn’t check, but in past instances I saw access violations - not sure if they are the same. I have other screen shots of those if you want me to send from the other times this happens. It could be coincidental

Reference deleting the data from logfile. Didn’t think to do that. That I guess is kinda why I always restored the logfile wdisplayini and wdsisplayftp. is there any harm in doing what I did. If so when I get home I will restore the data from prior to the flat line. If not a problem I will leave as is

Really appreciate your help. This has been a big frustration for me since it happens up to 2x a week sometimes more.

what do you mean try another method of getting the data? How else would you get the data??

Thanks a million for looking into this.

the access violation errors is the problem
that is the sort of detailed feedback information that I need from you

I would suggest that restarting WD daily would fix that (it could be a memory /resource issue)

do not worry about how other method of getting data…just trust me that there is other ways of coding to do things