Wxsimate Import Data Problem

I recently changed Wx station software from VWS to WD. I have only just noticed today that when trying to import station data in Wxsimate v6.2 a popup appears saying “No data for month 4. Could not find ‘c:\wdisplay\logfiles\42017lg.txt’.” Then it thinks for a minute and data appears in the empty data fields. Today’s date is May 13th! This data is not from today as the temp indicated in the field is higher than the highest temp so far for today. So what is it puting into the fields?

Why is it looking for logfile 42017lg.txt when it is may? Shouldn’t it be looking for 52017lg.txt? The 52017lg file does exist in the WD logfiles directory. The local station data directory does point to c:\wdisplay\logfiles

I tried to fool it my copying the 52017lg file and renaming to 42017lg. It puts the same data that was entered into the fields as mentioned above, without a No data popup.

Any advice solving this issue is appreciated.

Tom R
Lillian, AL
www.lillianweather.com
cw1231
KJ4QDZ

Further to the above issue it is now resolved. :smiley:

Today 14 May I again tried to import data in Wxsimate. Again the popup appears “No data for month 4. Could not find ‘c:\wdisplay\logfiles\42017lg.txt’” When I click ok it reads a file and populated the fields with data. Today I see the data is current and correct and it is indeed reading the correct file. I think yesterday the data file had some data spikes but that issue is about Weather Display. I didn’t recognize the discrepancy as spikes in the data and therefore I was suspect of the data file being read. My suspicion has gone away. :slight_smile:

Then I again copied the 52017lg.txt file and renamed it 42017lg.txt in the logfiles subdir. Then I reopened Wsimate and clicked on “Import Data”. It thunk a bit (slower than reading a VWS datafile) and then populated the fields with correct data. No popup. The end sports fans.

The issue is resolved but I wonder why Wxsimate, using Weather Display as data source, is reliant on a data file for the prior month in order to successfully import data.

Yay, a question I can answer easily! :slight_smile:

WXSIMATE wants to look back 30 days, to get precipitation data to estimate soil moisture, and also looks back 4 days to get temperature data to estimate soil temperature. This message is common when people first use WD (or any of the other station software options). It goes away after a month or less, but your solution was clever (and pretty much OK - the soil moisture is no worse than the default guess would be!).

Tom