Aspirated fan Upgrade

Hi everybody

Some time ago I made a aspirated solar radiation shield

I’ve updated the fan module I’ve incorporated a small reed switch connected to a LED
a small magnet is attached to 1 of the fan blades when the fan rotates it will cause the LED to flash indicating the fan is working correctly and rotating

If the LED stops flashing then this indicates maintenance is required and the fan is not rotating

I’m using a small battery cell Don’t know how long The battery will last as the LED is switching on and off when the battery dies it is to replace
and this would indicate a good time to give it a good clean and overall
another solution would to use a small rechargeable battery with a small solar cell to keep the battery charged

http://www.weather-above.com/solarrdscreen2.html

Please see image

you could wire in a small voltmeter and you would have an idea of the voltage as it drops.

https://www.google.com/search?q=voltmeter+gauge&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Hello,

I have an i2c current monitoring board inline (hooked up to a raspberry pi), which then tells me how much current is being used by the fan… that is then being monitored by nagios, which then tells me if the current drops, thus the fan has stopped/failed, gone walk about.

John

I really like your engineering of this project. It is worth it.

What’s the source of the fan?

Most computer fans now are either 3 wire, or 4 wire. A 3 wire fan has a tachometer signal output which can be used for failure detection. A 4 wire fan has the tach output and also a control input that can be used for speed control. The speed control is a pulse (PWM) signal.

Yeah, if I had power out to my station I would DIY an aspirated shield too.

Hi

Thank you for your suggestions I found a small voltmeters module

The fan only has two wires ,This is connected into a fan controller module with a maximum power set to 7.5 DC , (nnormal voltage level should be 12 V, but it works fine at 7.5 DC)

Temperature reading 16.2c = 3.92 v Fan voltage
15.0c = 3.85v
14.0c = 3.74v
11.0 c= 359v
10.oc = 3.52v

Ice Block on the fan speed temperature Sensor Lowest speed min 3.20v max hot water 7v

mick

Quote from: niko on 05-05-2017, 18:26:44

Yeah, if I had power out to my station I would DIY an aspirated shield too.

Solar would work, does work :)