For Home Weather Station Has Stopped Working

Is there an update to the Web Cam Capture program or Movie Maker? I am running version 10.05 which I believe comes with the WD download (Ver. 10.37S45) and Ver 3.9 Movie Maker MP4. The issue I’m having is that Web Cam Capture stops running periodically:
8:07 am on 4-17
11:01 am on 4-18
3:31 pm on 4-21
12:01 pm on 4-23
9:08 am on 4-25
11:32 am on 4-25
7:13 pm on 4-28
2:31 pm on 4-29
1:46 pm on 4-30
11:57 am on 5-1
It also stopped prior to me keeping track of the times. When I get the error message, see attachment, I would need to close down WD and restart the program to get Web Cam Capture working again.

I do not have any FTP switches on and I only have the “Create Date Stamped Copy Of All Day Movie” selected along with the “Use Every 10 Seconds Images” selected in the “New All Day Video Setup” page. I would like to have the “All Day, every hour” checked but Movie Maker ramps up the CPU and having an older computer, makes a little too much noise for the wife who gives me a look every time it fires up. I’ve also unchecked the “Keep Live” option to cut down the CPU running fast, 15-20% on the “Web Cam Capture” page. I do have “Restart Regularly” checked thinking it would help and I also have checked “Restart once at startup” and “Reboot PC if device lost”.

The program has been running well with an old SD Foscam FI8905 IP Camera and WEBCAM XP 5 as the Video Device. I have since upgraded to a newer HD Foscam IP Camera, model FI9901EP and using the “IP Cam Setup” tab with this link:
http://192.168.1.199:89/cgi-bin/CGIProxy.fcgi?cmd=snapPicture2&usr=Name&pwd=Password
I’ve set this camera to 1920 by 1080, 300 bitrate and a 30 frame rate. Web Cam Capture saves a jpg image every 10 seconds with no issue.

From reading different posts, I did try a newer Web Cam Capture, version 10.25 I think, but that created all sorts of problems. The custom overlays were not reading the WD data and the time and temp overlay just blinked on and off and I was having issues with the aspect ratio, so I reverted back to version 10.05.

Anyone have any ideas? I have a feeling it’s a computer issue and not a WD issue, but the error message doesn’t give me any hints of what is causing the stoppage.

I’m running Windows 10 Pro, ver 1607.
OS Build: 14393.1066
Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2067GHz
Installed Ram: 12.0 GB
System Type: 64 Bit operating system
Hard Drive: 4TB

Thank you for any advice, would love to get some time-lapse video with the new HD camera.
Dan

Untitled.gif

you could try this update
http://www.weather-display.com/downloadfiles/wdwebcamcapture.zip

I’ve tried ver. 10.25 a few weeks ago but that created all sorts of problems. The custom overlays were not reading the WD data and the time and temp overlay just blinked on and off, I was having issues with the aspect ratio and the CPU climbs up to 20-25%, so I reverted back to version 10.05.

This morning I installed the update you linked to me which is ver 10.25 but will let it run to see if I get any stoppage. I can deal with the other issues later.

I will respond with my findings.

Let Web Cam Capture Ver 10.25 run for a few days and it was stable, had no stoppage of the program. But still had the CPU run consistently between 15 and 20% and the time and temp overlay blinked. Reverted back to ver. 10.05 for now and will try different settings in Web Cam Capture along within the camera.

My Movie_Moment.jpg

My Movie_Moment2.jpg

My Movie_Moment3.jpg

Still using 10.05 and program is still stopping every day or so. Tried different settings within Web Cam Capture and camera to no avail. Is version 10.25 still the latest version available? I tried using 10.25 today and still had the same issues from previous posts.

not sure what you mean by time overlay blinked exactly

I would check that maybe your antivirus/firewall program or similar is scanning the wdwebcamcapture.exe program and causing the high cpu

Hi Brian,
If you look a the three images from my post on May 6th, the green time, date and temp would be on two lines then one line then two lines again. This would happen every few seconds. The images where taken from the All Day Video.

I’m running Norton and added wdisplay to the exclusion list and will see if that helps. I didn’t see anything on the firewall aspect that would affect Web Cam Capture.

I will need your settings files to try and duplicate

you should not post your settings files on a public forum
you should delete it
there is a FAQ on how to email me your settings files

Hi
try setting the size setting smaller so that the line length does not wrap to the second line
see attached

also I see you have a IP camera in use…that will be contributing to the high cpu use…I will investigate if that can be reduced

I have been using a Foscam IP Camera Model FI9901EP as my weather cam but did some testing of my own, and attached a Logitech USB Web Cam to Version 10.25 of Web Cam Capture. The CPU usage was steady between 1 and 3% unlike the IP Cam which would ramp up to 17%(±), but the overlays were not working correctly. Setup #0, I have the Weather Label checked with the time stamp checked and it’s still flashing. I have it positioned at Left=0 and Top=0, Size 16 and Text Size 10. Tried widths of 50, 100 and 200, all continued to blink.

Used Custom Tags on Setup 1 and 2. They would not read the data from WD. After saving the Setup # and going back to Setup 0, the custom tag would disappear. Below is an example of the custom tag I’ve been using.

Custom Setup #1
%avgspd% Avg Wind Speed
%maxgst% Max Gust Today
%maxgstt% Time Of Gust
%maxtemp% Max Temp
%maxtempt% Time Of Max Temp

Custom Setup #2
%dayrnmidnight% Rain Today
%yearrn% Year Rain
%recordhightemp% Record High
%recordhightempmonth%/%recordhightempday%/%recordhightempyear%
%recordlowtemp% Record Low
%recordlowtempmonth%/%recordlowtempday%/%recordlowtempyear%
%recordwindgust% Record Wind
%recordhighgustmonth%/%recordhighgustday%/%recordhighgustyear%

did you see my reply above
one trick is if you are just using the default weather data, then you can still change the font and size and colour and position etc etc of that
while the selector is in the zero position

re the flickering problem, which is different to the disappearing problem (which can be fixed by making the font smaller so that the line does not get split)
i cant actually duplicate that problem here with new settings, so its something about your settings

Hi Brian,
Thank you for the responses and taking the time to look into the issue. I did see your previous posts and tried to make the text smaller with no luck, it’s still blinking on the vers.10.25.

I’ll continue to trouble shoot with different settings and will re-post if any are successful.

Dan