Advise about WDL, please...

I’ve read about the WDL but don’t have a good understanding of how it really works. If understood correctly, WDL can reflect the WD readings quasi-realtime to a webpage.
If I go and get a WDL, what is the installation package - where shall it be installed, what shall be done on a webserver side, any specific requirement for a (html?) website, does it update the wind speed every few seconds (in case of Davis station), etc.
Apologies for a really rookie question but I better ask once than stay dumb forever.
Many thanks.

Hi, been a long time since i used the installation side of WDL but its a package that installs on your PC, you then set it all up with your FTP details (i think) then change all the settings and dials to how you want it, there is a preview too before you upload. and yes, you can have it update as fast as you require, i believe thats from the clientraw file so you set that in WD to update as you see fit

I’ll try to answer some of this. Firstly WDL requires the use of Flash for anyone viewing your website which means that anyone viewing your site from a tablet or phone like IOS or Android cannot view the WDL web page as Flash is not supported. As to the update frequency this depends on the update frequency of WD uploading the clientraw files, so if that is say 20 seconds then that is the update frequency of WDL. The package requires you to design a web page to display the WDL Flash move and there is a lot of help both in the package and here on the forum. If you prefer a quasi-realtime display which is visible on phones/tablets then using the SteelSeries Gauges (see thread on here) is another option which is HTML5 compliant and works on all platforms, still uses the WD updates for clientraw files.

Stuart

Thanks! I’ll check both options and see which suits me best!

you can still download WDL:
http://www.weather-display.com/downloadfiles/weatherdisplaylive.exe

I’ve tried the SteelGauges yesterday and like them very much. Not WDL related question but if I may… how to set the customclientraw.txt file to upload every 2 seconds?
I checked the youtube video and did everything as shown there but still no luck. It seems the upload frequency depends on the “Delay between uploading data (seconds)” parameter which is set to 25 seconds by default.

I have set both frequencies to 1 second in the “Custom Client Raw File (Steel Gauges)” section bottom right.

The WD Realtime FTP does the upload every ~25 seconds.

Any help is appreciated.

try restarting the clientrawrealtimeftp program to pick up the different/changed upload setting rate

Tried already and also rebooted the laptop but it still does the uploads every 25 seconds. It is 10.37S42 and Real time Clientraw FTP vers 8.0

Thanks.

vers 8 is quite old
the full install has a much more recent version

also what is the update rate you have set for the clientraw.txt file?
make sure that is less than 25 seconds

This seemed to be a “problem”. I’ve changed that to 2 seconds and now it’s uploading very fast…
Does it keep the FTP connection open or it open/close every upload?

Hi,
the connection is kept open and restarts/resets at the interval you select in the real time setup (5,10 or 30 minutes)