Message limits/quotas?

I have been carrying on a conversation with another forum member via the Weather-Watch forum messaging facility to discuss an item that doesn’t need to take up forum space itself. However, after two exchanges, I am getting a notice that the user I am messaging has a full message box. It appears that we are limited to about 32 messages in total. Is this very limited message space really necessary? While I understand some limitations may be necessary, this low number seems to be unnecessarily low to me.

Thanks for considering raising the limits…

The allowed number of PM’s depends on the member group, which in turn is defined by post count. IOW Members with low post counts have a low number of allowed PM’s. Believe it or not we did increase those limits recently. Simple solution is for the member to clean out their mailbox, or use the forum - unless it’s a private conversation.

Just looked at my inbox and sent message folders. Interestingly I have 8 messages in my inbox and 6 of them are from you. We were having a private conversation on Solar panel RFI and SF Bay area traffic. So, I’m guilty of not keeping my inbox clean but, I still think the limits are a bit too low given that I only have 8 messages yet my quota is already at 26.7% full. As I mentioned previously, I often use personal messaging rather than posting when topics are not directly pertinent to the subject of the forum. I could use email but most of the time such exchanges are the result of a comment made on the forum and the PM function is handy. Guess I’ll just have to pay more attention to my message counts so I stay out of trouble from a quota perspective…

One other comment. When someone reaches their message quota there doesn’t seem to be any mechanism to alert the user of the fact that they have reached their quota. In my case, I received a mailbox full notice for the recipient when trying to send a PM to a weather-watch forum member. When that happens there apparently is no way to let them know of the issue and your message doesn’t get sent.

The limits are set fairly low because in the past spammers would register a new account, send one or two spammy forum posts and they could then post PMs to every member of the forum. It’s one of those problems where the vast majority don’t abuse it but have to suffer the consequences of limitations to prevent the few who do abuse things.

Breaking someone’s quota when sending them a message is pretty much the same as any other PM/email system. I recently broke my Google Drive quota. I did get a warning when I looked at Google Drive…and that warning said that until I reduced my quota no-one would be able to send email to me!